Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buyyourcarnow.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

As I understand it SIMI is a representative group for the motor industry and as such has a huge amount of car dealers who are all independent of thought (in more ways than one) so how can you get such 'independent' minded people to agree to do a promotion as with everything the good ones will do it and the poor ones won't which would make any 'giveaway' / discount undeliverable.

As I see it, not all the SIMI dealers are signed up to this 'promotion' which would lead me to believe that only a percentage of them agreed to do it, so it looks like they are independent of thought and because of this fact, there should be a real promotion involved and not just a campaign which does not offer any benefits to the customer!

Maybe the dealers that didn't sign up for this campaign could see that there was going to be nothing offered to the customer and as such - they didn't bother to run with it!
    MYOB wrote: »
    Most *reputable* firms use hosts in Ireland for speed reasons; and we have a number of Irish hosting firms who do contribute to the economy - VAT on consumer sales, tax on their profits, rates, etc, etc.

yea ok... here's the top 10 Irish websites.

www.daft.ie - not hosted in ROI
    www.carzone.ie - not hosted in ROI
    www.rte.ie - have their own servers
    www.eircom.net - have their own servers
    www.myhome.ie - not hosted in ROI
    www.ireland.com - not hosted in ROI
    www.independent.ie - hosted in ROI
    www.propertynews.com - not hosted in ROI
    www.pigsback.com - not hosted in ROI
    www.irishjobs.ie - hosted in ROI

So only 1 website for sure is hosted in Ireland... you have some quality facts there.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,943 ✭✭✭✭L1011

steve06 wrote: »

yea ok... here's the top 10 Irish websites.

www.daft.ie - not hosted in ROI
    www.rte.ie - have their own servers
    www.eircom.net - have their own servers
    www.independent.ie - hosted in ROI
    www.pigsback.com - not hosted in ROI

So only 1 website for sure is hosted in Ireland... you have some quality facts there.... :rolleyes:

You're woefully wrong there. Pigsback for a start is hosted in Kilcarberry out in Clondalkin, not "not hosted in ROI". Daft.ie is hosted by Hosting365.

Do you want me to go through the rest of the list? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

edit: Actually, its not taking too long to do, so:

Daft is hosted here
    Carzone in the UK
    RTE here
    eircom here
    myhome.ie in the north
    ireland.com in Norway
    independent.ie here
    propertynews.com in the north
    pigsback.com here
    irishjobs.ie here

Care to retract that 'only one' statement?

MYOB wrote: »
    You're woefully wrong there. Pigsback for a start is hosted in Kilcarberry out in Clondalkin, not "not hosted in ROI". Daft.ie is hosted by Hosting365.

Do you want me to go through the rest of the list? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

edit: Actually, its not taking too long to do, so:

Daft is hosted here
    Carzone in the UK
    RTE here
    eircom here
    myhome.ie in the north
    ireland.com in Norway
    independent.ie here
    propertynews.com in the north
    pigsback.com here
    irishjobs.ie here

Care to retract that 'only one' statement?
    daft.ie
    nserver: ns0.dnsmadeeasy.com
    nserver: ns1.dnsmadeeasy.com
    nserver: ns2.dnsmadeeasy.com
    nserver: ns3.dnsmadeeasy.com
    nserver: ns4.dnsmadeeasy.com

NOT IN IRELAND

pigsback.ie
    nserver: ns1.dnspark.net
    nserver: ns2.dnspark.net

NOT IN IRELAND

now back on topic please!

your DNS provider has NOTHING to do with where your hosting is. You don't know what you're talking about here.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.pigsback.com
    http://www.db.ripe.net/whois?form_type=simple&full_query_string=&searchtext=217.114.172.48&do_search=Search

Do the same for the others. Takes all of ten seconds.

Ok well then according to http://toolbar.netcraft.com/

www.daft.ie - hosted in ROI
    www.rte.ie - hosted in ROI
    www.eircom.net - hosted in ROI
    www.independent.ie - not hosted in ROI
    www.pigsback.com - hosted in ROI

so that's 5 out of 10 in Ireland so this still flys in the face of the argument that "Most *reputable* firms use hosts in Ireland"

anyway, this has nothing to do with buyyourcarnow.ie does it!

• Advertisement

Some of those are not even Irish companies, and others I wouldn't call reputable (the Indo ;)). Carzone and Property News are not Irish.

Its still entirely true that most reputable Irish firms will have servers in Ireland purely for speed reasons - the futher a server is away the slower it is to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

steve06 wrote: »
    As I see it, not all the SIMI dealers are signed up to this 'promotion' which would lead me to believe that only a percentage of them agreed to do it, so it looks like they are independent of thought and because of this fact, there should be a real promotion involved and not just a campaign which does not offer any benefits to the customer!

Maybe the dealers that didn't sign up for this campaign could see that there was going to be nothing offered to the customer and as such - they didn't bother to run with it!

What I would say happened was that there was a meeting of SIMI dealer members and somewhere in the course of the meeting the question was asked, "what's the organisation that is supposed to represent our industry, doing about any of this???"

I've no problem with the concept of an ad, what gets under my skin about this is that there is no "reason to believe" in this campaign. The ad is now two weeks old and they are still saying that it is breaking news! If that ad said that there was free finger food down at my local SIMI outlet from 7PM until 10PM every day this week, or that I could pick a car from their website and have a salesperson visit me at my home for a test drive in a car I have selected from a dealer website, there are three reasons to engage with a showroom which may lead to a sale that are not in that ad. I'm not saying I'm representative of the population as a whole, but it's small things that I appreciate when I spend money.

Throw in an iPod, throw in a fancy meal somewhere in some sexy restaurant in town, just someone bolt on some added value and people will respond!

They'd want to do something quick because from talking to my own sources in new car sales, the situation is now going downhill on an almost daily basis now, with each week being worse than the last... Which is proof alone, if any was required, that this ad has had zero impact on sales, or maybe more accurately, zero impact on creating sales...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If that ad said that there was free finger food down at my local SIMI outlet from 7PM until 10PM every day this week,

Fine but it probably won't open until after 2 then. That won't suit everyone...unless you're willing to pay the overtime.
    or that I could pick a car from their website and have a salesperson visit me at my home for a test drive in a car I have selected from a dealer website,
    Problem there is that when I visit a showroom, I might drive a car I wasn't initially interested in, that option isn't available. It also opens a slacking window.
    Throw in an iPod,
    No problem there.
    throw in a fancy meal somewhere in some sexy restaurant in town
    What "town" are you talking about exactly, because McDonalds is about the only universal restaurant (if you want to call it that) that could be tied in on a large scale. A One4All voucher maybe?? A local dealer out this way did that a few years back. Didn't see much of an imporvement in sales.
    They'd want to do something quick because from talking to my own sources in new car sales, the situation is now going downhill on an almost daily basis now, with each week being worse than the last... Which is proof alone, if any was required, that this ad has had zero impact on sales, or maybe more accurately, zero impact on creating sales...
    New car sales isn't the issue. From what I'm being told, new cars are still selling themselves, though not at levels experienced in recent years. It's the sh1te people have traded in over the past 18 months that isn't moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

S.I.R wrote: »
    worst thing about the site is their prices are EVEN worse then carzone

And the Darwin award goes to... :rolleyes:

I don't think they price the cars so eh...

Do you have any idea what a Darwin Award is?
    Educate yourself ffs.

and stop pretending you're a mechanic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I don't think they price the cars so eh...

Do you have any idea what a Darwin Award is?
    Educate yourself ffs.

and stop pretending you're a mechanic too.

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement