Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport check

Options
  • 24-09-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why some airports have border control checking your passport on the way out while other countries don't bother?

I was always intrigued why they have a passport control leaving Germany while they don't bother in Dublin...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

arctictree wrote: »
    Anyone know why some airports have border control checking your passport on the way out while other countries don't bother?

I was always intrigued why they have a passport control leaving Germany while they don't bother in Dublin...

Don't speak too soon. You may need to do it just to travel to the UK in the near future.

http://www.ukwatch.net/article/passport_and_id_controls_between_uk_and_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

As I am sure you are aware you will be photographed just as you start going through security at LHR. The finger printing is installed and ready in Terminal 5. Also I think in Terminal 1. It's use is being held up until any possible legal challenges can be ironed out. It will be used to make sure the person who checked in is the same passenger boarding the aircraft. A print will be taken and maybe checked several times as you go through departures,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Your passport is checked on leaving Dublin airport, but only if your going to the US and then only by US immigration. Most other places that you'd be getting to direct from Dublin are in the EU though and they clearly cannot be bothered with the hassle of checking who is leaving.

They are just glad to see you go and then become somebody else's problem asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

arctictree wrote: »

When you are leaving the Schengen area there is always a passport check on exit.

Advertisement