Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on LC Home Study??

Options
  • 24-09-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,
    I'm thinking about repeating the leaving after a few years of being out of school I'm toying with the idea of attempting to repeat and do veterinary. I didn't do Chemistry the first time around and I would need to do it does anyone know where I could? As I don't really want to enrol in a repeat school as I don't have time to do (i work)

How feasible is it to do the LC as home study? Any advice appreciated thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

well im no mod but i'd say that this thread would do better in the mature students forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Doubtful, the term mature student normally refers to students over 23 starting college again, id say here would be ideal because its full of people doing the courses at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Diddlina wrote: »

How feasible is it to do the LC as home study? Any advice appreciated thanks in advance.

How long do you have, do you want to start next year?

Chemistry, while i love it, is a difficult course, and id say it would be difficult to teach it to yourself, you need a grind of some sort, and you need a teacher to sign off on all the experiments, so that could be a very definite problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

If your working and wanting to redo the leaving cert itll take a lot, seriously! You'll be just in form work and down to study for a few hours, not forgetting weekends, which will be gone aswell, its 6 subjects, which you havnt done for a few years, and unless youve been through college and studied them at a higher level, you forgot most of the stuff, and plus adding on chemistry (To hc3 level) as an extra!

If you are already a graduate, there is a graduate entry to vet med also.

Overall, unless you scrap the day job, i wouldnt think its an option, you need to get up to high 500 point mark too, unless perhaps your a mature student either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Priscilla Duck

It is feasible, if difficult. The only thing I will say is that if you didn't do well enough for vet school when going to school was the only committment you had, do you really think you'll be able to improve when you have all the pressures of work too? Only you know if you are capable of doing it, if you think you can then go for it, and good luck.

For chemistry, it is a difficult subject to do alone. A lot of VECs and adult education colleges offer evening courses in LC subjects, so you might do well to take a Chemistry class. You might do well to look into it, they also organise general study support groups for adults who have returned to education to get the leaving.

You'll find a list of your local VECs in the Golden pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Do you have any of the matriculation subjects for the vet course you want to do? If you have these you don't need to resit them. Chemstry is quite difficult to teach yourself, especially the experiments, its so much easier when you remember actually doing them.

What sorta hours do you work? If it's 9-5 and you get home at 6 or so you'll probably only get 4 1/2 hours or so study done a night and a lot of LC students have that on top of 6 1/2 hours in school.

What are your strengths? If you remember a lot of certain subjects then you'd be as well to repeat them- stick with what you know and all that.

It might be worth your while taking one or two of the harder courses (or just chemistry) as a nightcourse in one of the VECs.

Advertisement