Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get really cheap 2nd hand bikes ?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi. Would anyone know anywhere in Dublin city centre where you can get cheap 2nd hand bikes - like for less than 50 euros.
    Are there any charity shops that do them ? Or does anyone know do the council sell off old abandoned bikes they find ?
    I'm trying to go green, and get fit, and just want a junk bike that won't be too attractive to anyone to steal.
    Thanks if anyone has any advice. cheers, Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Kevin Street Garda station hold regular auctions of unclaimed stolen property (mostly bikes). It would be a good idea to call them to find out when the next one is being held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mark 2008 wrote: »
    Hi. Would anyone know anywhere in Dublin city centre where you can get cheap 2nd hand bikes - like for less than 50 euros.
    Are there any charity shops that do them ? Or does anyone know do the council sell off old abandoned bikes they find ?
    I'm trying to go green, and get fit, and just want a junk bike that won't be too attractive to anyone to steal.
    Thanks if anyone has any advice. cheers, Mark
    I suggest you try the cycling forum, you might even get one for nothing, I have also seen bikes thrown out in skips etc needing minor repair. Also worth contacting some of the bike shops for trade ins, they often have old stock that they would be delighted to move on.
    Gyalist wrote: »
    Kevin Street Garda station hold regular auctions of unclaimed stolen property (mostly bikes). It would be a good idea to call them to find out when the next one is being held.
    I think they now sub them out, most of the good stuff is away over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,374 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

You might also consider recycling sites where you might get a bike for free. It'll probably need some fixing (new tyres and tubes) plus a dowsing in lubricant but some surprisingly workable stuff emerges from sites like: freecycle.org, dublinwaste.ie or jumbletown.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bear in mind, with a budget of "under 50 euros" you may end up spending more than that on the bike to get/keep it going. I made this mistake with my first bike, thirty quid from the garda auction, 70 quid in repairs, and it was still ****e. €100 should get you a workable second-hand hybrid though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement