Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is your commute?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭

I'm really curious to see what distance people are cycling to work I've been doing it for a couple of weeks and am wondering should I lenghten it now that I'm not really in pain and agony any more :)
    If you take different routes in and back, whats the average distance?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

How long is your commute to work? 67 votes

0 - 2 KM
    0% 0 votes
    >2 - 5KM
    7% 5 votes
    >5 - 8KM
    11% 8 votes
    >8 -12KM
    29% 20 votes
    >12KM - 20KM
    20% 14 votes
    >20km
    29% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

6.5 km each way
    Dublin: Chapelizod to the IFSC and return

I come in the Chapelizod bypass, Johns Rd and North quays. It's pretty fast.
    Come home by South quays and Conynham Rd, it's very relaxing and I can go at my own pace :)

I've never, ever go through Kilmainham or Inchicore, traffic nightmare!

It's only a tiny commute compared to what some people here do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

11k each way. Go on, lengthen it! I only do it on the way home when I feel like it, can stretch to up to 18-20k but I dont like doing more because I am carrying a bag. I live in firhouse so sometimes head up Stocking lane and back the ballycullen road which is a nice bit of a climb just before getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

noblestee wrote: »
    11k each way. Go on, lengthen it! I only do it on the way home when I feel like it, can stretch to up to 18-20k but I dont like doing more because I am carrying a bag. I live in firhouse so sometimes head up Stocking lane and back the ballycullen road which is a nice bit of a climb just before getting home.

11k sounds like a good healthy distance each way to me, I'd really like to do more than the roughly 8km (7 in 9 back) routes i take.
    I wonder what the likes of Blorg and co take..do calculators go that high?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Supercell wrote: »
    11k sounds like a good healthy distance each way

I thought that when i started it about 4 years ago, but im still a fat bastard. Hmmm. But in fairness, i love it. Cant stand when i have to drive to work or get a bus for various reasons, but thank god thats rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I do 25km, including a 200m ascent/descent (work is in the hills, I live by the sea) and some other small hill stuff... but I only go one direction every day, and get the bus the other way (otherwise my life would not be worth living!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I do 25km, including a 200m ascent/descent (work is in the hills, I live by the sea) and some other small hill stuff... but I only go one direction every day, and get the bus the other way (otherwise my life would not be worth living!)

You bring your bike back on the bus?, surely the trip home makes all the climbing into work worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

8km each way. Kinda bored of the same route too, not very scenic (well, unless you count flying past cars stuck in rush hour "scenic").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dakaiser

I started cycling in on Monday. Northwood to Walkinstown, about 13 k Thought I was gonna die coming home Monday evening, didn't realise how steep St Mobhi road was. It's getting easier though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

3k each way for me -nice and short!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

11.5k e/w for me (upper Ballycullen Rd. to City Centre). I sometimes change routes when bored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lame_Duck

20k. Foxrock, rock road, strand road, east link, grace park road, santry, airport. Nice cycle. very few pedestrians and going against traffic once across eastlink. showers in work and safe place for bike.not so nice coming home as all taxis use old swords road/santry/whitehall in hope of getting fare into town. however rock road with bus/cycle lane is now a pleasure following years of squeezing through traffic..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

4.3 metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That's an impressive commute Lame Duck, fair play.

I suprised you choose Grace Park Road, very narrow road but I suppose it's the fastest route.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am only 6.5km, Ranelagh to Sandyford. I sometimes take the long route over the mountains though, longest was around 100km and I have a 45km standard :D I can assure you it is a lot different if you have a choice though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

15km ... Portmarnock / IFSC -- cycle path along the sea....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Doing 9km e/w on a cheap MTB at the moment. Feels more like 20km!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

about 12k each way (according to google maps). From Lucan to Stephen's Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

According to the cycle planner, D15 to D4 about 13.4k each way. Only started this summer and building up the frequency. Doing it 2/3 days a week. Takes about 40~50 mins. I'd do it more often if I could, but have to take it easy with a few old injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

8km each way, Dundrum to city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

25km each way, but usually 3 or 4 days a week. Doing 5 days means that I wouldn't ever get out at the weekend, though that's rare enough recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

varies from 8km to 14km, depending on what mood I'm in. I use the coastal cycletrack that runs from Sutton to Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

20km each way about 3 days a week.

Ratoath to Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Raheny to Dublin 2 - 5.5 miles (almost 9km) according to my Forerunner 405. Run in / home a couple of times during the week also, variety is the spice of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

12.5k, Ballycullen Rd/Stocking Avenue to the IFSC. Had plenty of people comment about how hilly it must be going home, but Dublin is surprisingly flat until I hit the bottom of the Ballycullen road. Even that is but a bump. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

5 miles each way... on a heavy hybrid... just ordered a fast bike to make it more enjoyable (I discovered that 3 mile each is my limit for commuting with a heavy bike - previous commute)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

40-45k round trip 4 to 5 days a week depending on the route I take. Shankill - Kilmainham. Go over mountains once or twice a week during summer months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

16K each way from citywest to town. Took the N81 in then down harcourt street, dawson street onto SJRQ. Now I changed jobs its 1.1km but I've to wear a suit so I cant go too wild :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

9km each way. Rathfarnham to Leopardstown. Only one minor hill, I go mainly through quiet estates so it's quite pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

I work from a home office just off my kitchen - distance from breakfast table to desk 6-7 metres :)

In my former antipodean life my commute was 25 km each way. In the sunshine. Damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

15k Dundrum to DCU.

Through the city center, good fun most of the time. The amount of traffic lights is annoying though. I wonder if I could come up with a route that completely avoided traffic lights

Advertisement