Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is your commute?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

6km each way, Inchicore to Gardiner Street. I have a 15km spin home through the park when the mood takes me, and I vary the route every so often because I do get bored easily.

At the moment I've worked in two very short stiff climbs which I like to attack as fast as I can and then gauge my recovery time. It's a very short workout but I am seeing results. Climbing Howth Head last Sunday was suddenly much easier. I went up about twice as fast as my previous attempt*. Can't wait to get out for another spin on some real hills soon.

*and very nearly puked when I got to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Supercell wrote: »
    You bring your bike back on the bus?, surely the trip home makes all the climbing into work worthwhile?

No, I do each direction on alternate days. Usually I go up Mondays and Thursdays and back Tuesdays and Fridays, and play rugby at lunch time one Wednesdays.

It's a really really beautiful commute, French drivers are relatively sane (although it's 50% off-road cycle track), the weather's always good and the sea air is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fair play to those doing >20km commutes, I did my first 40km+ ride today and my legs are seriously hurting. Cannot imagine doing that daily!! (yet).
    On days like today that is probably great, but on a cold windy Decemeber day those kind of distances take real dedication.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

About 7k, and when I have time, I'll add about 4k in the mornings to try to keep the weight down

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

seamus wrote: »
    12.5k, Ballycullen Rd/Stocking Avenue to the IFSC. Had plenty of people comment about how hilly it must be going home, but Dublin is surprisingly flat until I hit the bottom of the Ballycullen road. Even that is but a bump. :)

I ride that way and I find it 'fairly' flat too. There's just a 200m stretch where it kicks up a bit between Morton's and the Woodstown roundabout...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm using my old mtb with slicks. Most hybrids don't seem that much lighter. Would a decent road bike make much of difference even if you are unfit, and not very aerodynamic. I'll probably be putting paniers on my bike soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

17km to Leixlip from the city, how long it takes depends on how strong the westerly wind is blowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sTuMbLeD

I was doing 15km each way, Sandycove to Thomas st. - coast road to Booterstown, then through Trimelstone park to join the N11 at Belfield and straight through to Meath St.

Moved to D7 over the weekend and its now only an easy 3km, but I'm already missing the buzz of avoiding potholes and buses through Donnybrook. It always had me more alert when I got to my desk than caffeine ever can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

sTuMbLeD wrote: »
    I was doing 15km each way, Sandycove to Thomas st. - coast road to Booterstown, then through Trimelstone park to join the N11 at Belfield and straight through to Meath St.

Moved to D7 over the weekend and its now only an easy 3km, but I'm already missing the buzz of avoiding potholes and buses through Donnybrook. It always had me more alert when I got to my desk than caffeine ever can. :D

Somehow I think I'd prefer a double espresso than potential death to wake me up.

Advertisement