Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are "Segways" now legal on Irish Roads?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are just like bikes legally speaking. George Lee bought one for 6 grand!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mike65 wrote: »
    They are just like bikes legally speaking. George Lee bought one for 6 grand!

Mike
    Question is what catagory license do they come under and what insurance is required if any? A lot of bread to spend on something and then find out you couldn't get screeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Question is what catagory license do they come under and what insurance is required if any? A lot of bread to spend on something and then find out you couldn't get screeds.

I presume Mike meant bicycles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

According to your link!
    However, the company said it is unable to market the Segway as a real commuting option here because legislation on its use has not been introduced yet,
    In the meantime, it is advising owners to use them only on private property.

"We have been lobbying at Government level for two years to try to get progress on this," Segway Ireland's spokesman said. "Until then, we cannot aggressively pursue the commuter market. That market is what distributors around the world are working towards."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I meant a push bike, however it seems George Lee should be arrested! :)

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    I meant a push bike, however it seems George Lee should be arrested! :)

Mike

That article in tonights Hearld will certainly put the eye on him, he will be a sitting duck on the way to work, he should have shut his mouth to the press.

He might be able to speak his way out of it and try to convince the cops that it is just a powered hand cart :D

segway_beta.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭sk8board

the reason the legislation doesn't exist for the segway is that its a powered vehicle, just like a scooter or motorbike, but it goes on the footpath only, not the street, and powered vehilces aren't allow on the footpath. They need to remove the ambiguity, and until then its technically illegal, as its neither legal on the road nor the footpath. Transportation limbo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

*Waits for tax and insurence to be brought in on these*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Don't need to: it's already a requirement. To use the road, it has to have insurance under the RTA. As are lights and number plates. (because it can do more than 15kph...)

Ooooh - what about a licence !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

You would have great fun goung down Grafton St on one of these :D

stayskal.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

sk8board wrote: »
    and powered vehilces aren't allow on the footpath.
    Except invalid carriages, which are also permitted on cycle tracks (God help them).

I think the whole 'Segway' debate is a publicity stunt trying to whip up interest in another re-invention of the bicycle, like the Sinclair C5.

In reality, it's an expensive toy for scooting around shopping malls.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

I disagree entirely. Seeing as the device can cost around €0.15 to worth of electricity to charge fully, and is much greener on the whole, perhaps it's time to start viewing it as a genuine alternative for commuting. God knows Dublin's public transportation system is a joke, and it's impractical having as many cars going directly into the city - not to mention a green nightmare. And, frankly, while it'd be great if the price came down a bit, it's not hugely expensive compared to say a scooter, especially if you factor in running costs and maintenance.

Except invalid carriages, which are also permitted on cycle tracks (God help them).

I think the whole 'Segway' debate is a publicity stunt trying to whip up interest in another re-invention of the bicycle, like the Sinclair C5.

They could always confine them to cycle and bus lanes but there again they could gradually transform into something else :eek:

hellerComic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I disagree entirely. Seeing as the device can cost around €0.15 to worth of electricity to charge fully, and is much greener on the whole, perhaps it's time to start viewing it as a genuine alternative for commuting. God knows Dublin's public transportation system is a joke, and it's impractical having as many cars going directly into the city - not to mention a green nightmare. And, frankly, while it'd be great if the price came down a bit, it's not hugely expensive compared to say a scooter, especially if you factor in running costs and maintenance.

What's a joke is anyone thinking that something that runs on power generated by coal (electricity), is only deluding themselves.

The Seg is also dangerous on roads, being devoid of any suspension - it's only a matter of time before somone gets pitched off one, and under the wheels of the 47a........irony, there, then, for commuters.

And as for maintenance - it runs on (hugely) expensive electronics and truly nasty (environmentally...) batteries.

The only 'green' in a Segway is ........the $$$ to buy it, or parking it on the 18th........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I have a thread on a similar theme

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055363675

where it seems that the Sedgeway at 20KPH exceeds the 15KPH rules and therefore requires Insurance tax number plate same as cars and motorbikes
    galwaytt wrote: »

....snip......

And as for maintenance - it runs on (hugely) expensive electronics and truly nasty (environmentally...) batteries.

The only 'green' in a Segway is ........the $$$ to buy it, or parking it on the 18th........

actaly the batteries are to my knowelege not toxic types

They are the A123 2200 MHA 70gram cyclinder cells capable to do ~2000 cycles life times and part of the lithuim family

Each battery costs about ~40 euro each and the sedgeway uses 30 plus of them

They contain small quantities of lithuiim and some titanium and Iron with some fairly inert carbon stuff

They are at not classed as toxic like Nickel Cadium or lead acid batteries
    It also hasn't got mercury in the battery like disposable batteries

If there is any toxity in the A123 cells it is very small compared to other types of rechargeable batteries

However the true running costs of the Sedgeway if you factor in replacement batteries will mean the 0.15 cents is not the true costs per charge

I think the replacement battery is more than 1000 euros plus maybe 2000 euros so each recharge is then minimum 0.50c euro plus the electricity 0.15 cents =0.65c

But Based on the 2000 cycle life the battery should last 6 years if you use up all the charge every day

Each charge is about 20 miles
    so 2000*20~= 40,000 miles ~0.05cents per mile

Thats not super cheap

My car bought in 2005 for 2000 euro 1998 euro SuZuki Swift car is about 10 cents per mile in fuel and mayby 20 cent with other factors but new small cars cars could cost about 30 cent s per mile

Assume E2000 euro for battery makes that 40k/2k~=

But the probaly the cost to fix electronic circuits when they go AWOL in mad costing ROI would probaly mean that buying a new one for 6 grand would be cheaper

It seems to me for the ROI its a rich folks gizzmo or for for the cops with the big budgets to pay for costs

Derry

PS

Actually the battery is similar to A123 but is the vlance battery lithuim phosphate ion
    wiki wrote:
    Valence Technology, located in Austin, Texas, is also working on lithium iron phosphate cells. Since March 2005, the Segway Personal Transporter has been shipping with extended-range lithium-ion batteries[27] made by Valence Technology using iron phosphate cathode materials. Segway, Inc. chose to build their large-format battery with this cathode material because of its improved safety over metal-oxide materials.

http://www.valence.com/products/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valence_Technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway_Personal_Transporter#Technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-Ion

Advertisement