Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse Security - Trouble

Options
  • 24-09-2008 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm a final year student and last Wednesday night had an incident with two Pulse Security guards that were patrolling the Merville Campus. I reside in Glenomena and me and two of my friends were walking towards Roebuck Halls through Merville. We had a bottle of wine that was half full and we even bothered to put the corkscrew back in it so that we couldn't have it taken from us as technically it wouldn't be open.

Anyways....as we were walking by Merville accomodation two of the guards approached us and tried to grab the bottle from us without any prior warning. My friend who was carrying the bottle shielded himself by turning his back to them and passed the bottle onto myself. At this point the other guard basically rugby tackled me and managed to cut my arm in 3 locations. I believe he did this with a set of keys that he was currently holding. It is my belief that they were about to go off duty and get into their car and go home. I managed to hand the bottle of wine to my other friend who then fled the scene.

My point is that surely I can report these two guards for personal assault as they injured me and the bottle was not even open. They were just on a power trip in my honest opinion. I have attached a photo of the cuts that this security guard inflicted upon me.

What should I do to try and bring this to higher powers attention???

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

michael.rafter@ucd.ie You could also go to the PSA www.psa.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This is a disgrace OP. I hope you're ok :( I don't understand why those jumped up thugs are given any power arond campus when all they do is abuse it. If i was you I would ave citizen's arrested their asses. Those injuries look horrific. Can you describe this 'security guard' so i'l know to avoid him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

Grow up. 3 young lads who had been drinking walking through campus they wern't resident in, carryin a bottle of wine and acting the Boll*x. You should have just handed the wine over. I sincerely doubt the security men were going to drink you backwash either, and you are complaining because of a few scrapes. And lastly, don't complain, you were the one drinking, carrying alcohol and not handing it over to the security when ye were on private ground. Now if it was a public street, that would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Fionnanc wrote: »
    Grow up. 3 young lads who had been drinking walking through campus they wern't resident in, carryin a bottle of wine and acting the Boll*x. You should have just handed the wine over. I sincerely doubt the security men were going to drink you backwash either, and you are complaining because of a few scrapes. And lastly, don't complain, you were the one drinking, carrying alcohol and not handing it over to the security when ye were on private ground. Now if it was a public street, that would be a different matter.

we were not acting the 'Boll*x' as you put it. We had half a bottle of wine between 3 and were going off campus to drink further. And all 3 of us are resident on UCD campus. Myself in Glenomena and the two others in Merville. And you do not have to hand over alcohol unless it is opened. This wine had a cork in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

So your saying the security guards have a right to take anything they want off you?
    How are you meant to get into glenomena without going through merville?

They should be reported, its not the proper actions of security guards.

There was an acticle in the Observer this week OP, about what to do if having issues with security

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You did technically become violent first by not handing it over - you'd have had a much better comeback if you had just let it go .... but i'm starting to think the 'zero tolerence' approach on alcohol is counter productive. And by having the cork in it you weren't intending to drink it either.

I would consider a recorked bottle of wine opened. I certainly wouldn't buy one from an offie. Just take a flick of the wrist to uncork and drink from.
    Secondly don;t complain and cause trouble and maybe jobs of two guys that gave you "such horrific injuries". I have recieved worse rolling over in bed. Lastly, on a public street, it is illegal to have an open bottle of alcohol too. Recorked woundn't get much attention from a Garda.

MuddyDog wrote: »
    we were not acting the 'Boll*x' as you put it. We had half a bottle of wine between 3 and were going off campus to drink further. And all 3 of us are resident on UCD campus. Myself in Glenomena and the two others in Merville. And you do not have to hand over alcohol unless it is opened. This wine had a cork in it.
    Don't mind him MuddyDog, he probably doesn't even go to ucd anyway. I actually had one of them try to take a bottle of NON ALCOHOLIC Kopparberg off me the other day, was a great laugh explaining to him that it wasn't alcohol.

No I didn't go to UCD, but security guards and dare I say it students behave the same on most campuses.

No I didn't go to UCD, but security guards and dare I say it students behave the same on most campuses.

Maybe the security guards are different in Athlone IT.

• Advertisement

Undergraduate degrees from TCD>
    Check this link for my post grad
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=SIv&q=IMRCS&btnG=Search&meta=
    I think the main problem in Athlone at the moment is lack of security. I bet the women/non students feel safer that young lads aren't allow walk around with bottles of alcohol.
    An I would never admit to drinking a non alcoholic drink such as Koppenburg. Whatever happend to Buckfast on campus? Doesn;t go with your skinny latte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sharry

I think i saw all this!! i was walking over to my friends house in merville from glen an i think i saw this! was it on the grass by the main road through merville, by the tree?

Red Alert wrote: »
    You did technically become violent first by not handing it over - you'd have had a much better comeback if you had just let it go .... but i'm starting to think the 'zero tolerence' approach on alcohol is counter productive. And by having the cork in it you weren't intending to drink it either.

HA HA HA you are having a laugh. How the hell is not handing something over being violent? :rolleyes:
    acting with or marked by or resulting from great force or energy or emotional intensity; "a violent attack"; "a violent person"; "violent feelings ...

effected by force or injury rather than natural causes; "a violent death"

Yes the OP acted very violently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Red Alert wrote: »
    You did technically become violent first by not handing it over

You're joking right?! Violence is not the same as refusing to hand an object over. It is not 'violent' to turn your back to somebody, more of a defense meachanism if anything actually.

Violence! Seriously?
    Recorked woundn't get much attention from a Garda.

Had those injuries been sustained by a drunk falling down Abbey St at the hands of a Garda, it would be a legal matter. Unless you pose a severe threat (show violent behaviour, make verbal threats, attempt to hit, shove etc..) they cannot use force. This is absolutely out of line.

Why would a TCD graduate on a post-grad in the UK waste his time commenting on an on-campus UCD incident he dosen't understand in the slightest?

I bet you are some loser in an internet cafe in Tullamore who can't afford his own broadband and has nothing better to do - Kopparberg! I bet the only thing you drink is Blue WKD but you walk about with a pint of Guiness at the ploughing championships looking like the big man.

The problem here is we are only getting one side of the story, the side from the 3 guys in possession of the half drunk bottle of wine. I would back the security men fully in this case if i was their superviser. You should have handed it over and not resisted the attempt to take your wine and complained to their superviser later.
    THe campus is private property and the security men are the lawful authority on the campus, same as any bank, building site or business or even protected private home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

MuddyDog, please try not to get upset. Abusing Fionnanc only lowers the tone. If his posts upset you (which, I'm sure they must) then ignore him. I see there is a poster called Sharry who says that they seen it happen.
    Finding a witness to it is far more productive than arguing with a person who, quite frankly, has no idea what they are talking about. (not even a UCD student) You, in my opinion, have every right to complain.

I have no issues personally with Pulse security but I did overhear two of them discussing how they told people to give over their student cards. They were talking about how many cards they've taken. I thought nothing of it at the time other than that it seemed a bit OTT. The fact that they actually harmed you is a great cause of concern. Try speak to Sharry, see what they have to say. :)

The problem here is we are only getting one side of the story, the side from the 3 guys in possession of the half drunk bottle of wine. I would back the security men fully in this case if i was their superviser. You should have handed it over and not resisted the attempt to take your wine and complained to their superviser later.
    THe campus is private property and the security men are the lawful authority on the campus, same as any bank, building site or business or even protected private home.

We are resident here for 38 weeks of the year. Listen, the thing we are annoyed about is the fact that they tried to take it off us without any warning whatsoever and the fact that it was UNOPENED so technically, by campus law, we are allowed to carry it around - fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

The answer to your question about how you should bring this to the higher ups attention seems a little obvious. Contact the Gardai. You are claiming assault - this should have been done at the time of the incident, or at latest the next morning. Contact the Gardai and make a complaint. You could also contact whoever is in charge of security in services, and also the SU for advice.

If that is seriously the route you want to go down then if I was you I would ask a mod to delete this post as soon as possible as it probably won't work in your favour. Also be aware that you have published an allegation of assault against you by a named company - that is a serious allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Its prob a bit late now to start ervery thing and claims etc,

you should have cintacted services, gaurds, etc etc immediately, and recorded exact time (if not known) descriptions, and anything else of relavance, report them now all the same, to their bosses, services, send emails to all the powers that be in ucd etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Irony:

Complaining about "violent" security guards while headbutting one of your mates a few times in a club while ****faced drunk.

Cant you see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RonanAndo

I'm a Glenomena resident and I've had some problems with the Pulse Security Guards as well.
    One of them sexually harassed my girlfriend when she was walking to my flat on her own late at night, he wolf-whistled at her and made some comments about her breasts. She was clearly very distressed when she arrived at my place, I went out to have a word with him but he had moved on. She didn't get his jacket number but she drew a sketch which I have scanned and attached below

I'm curious to know from the OP if it is the same guy

Picture 1.png

Muddydog wrote "Why would a TCD graduate on a post-grad in the UK waste his time commenting on an on-campus UCD incident he dosen't understand in the slightest?

I bet you are some loser in an internet cafe in Tullamore who can't afford his own broadband and has nothing better to do - Kopparberg! I bet the only thing you drink is Blue WKD but you walk about with a pint of Guiness at the ploughing championships looking like the big man."

Sigh, Intercollegiate membership, common to all 4 Royal Colleges( a vocational qualification). I hold this membership. Don;t knock the ploughing championships, they sound like a lot of fun, I should go sometime. Sorry about the Koppaberg jibe. Please tell me your line of study. BTW, I don't need a Guiness to look like a big man, I weigh 120kg.

Lastly, any complaint you make could result in a working man losing his job, all over a few scratches, Try an informal approach to the security superviser. Ring the office, make an appointment, as turning up out of the blue expecting an audience is rude. You may get an apology.

Undergraduate degrees from TCD>
    Check this link for my post grad
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=SIv&q=IMRCS&btnG=Search&meta=
    I think the main problem in Athlone at the moment is lack of security. I bet the women/non students feel safer that young lads aren't allow walk around with bottles of alcohol.
    An I would never admit to drinking a non alcoholic drink such as Koppenburg. Whatever happend to Buckfast on campus? Doesn;t go with your skinny latte?
    You got a problem with me drinking non-alcoholic Kopparberg? FYI the societies were giving it out on campus but you wouldn't know that would you because you didn't go to UCD. Maybe you have an alcohol problem as well as being nosey :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

fullstop wrote: »
    You got a problem with me drinking non-alcoholic Kopparberg? FYI the societies were giving it out on campus but you wouldn't know that would you because you didn't go to UCD. Maybe you have an alcohol problem as well as being nosey :rolleyes:

It was Lawsoc I believe. People were drinking it like water. I am sure this troll does not even know where Belfield is.

The original message was posted on a public messageboard inviting opinions. The UCD section is not password protected. Sometimes trolls get lecturer positions,even to UCD students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

fullstop wrote: »
    Those injuries look horrific.

I really hope you are joking, they are completely superficial
    We are resident here for 38 weeks of the year. Listen, the thing we are annoyed about is the fact that they tried to take it off us without any warning whatsoever and the fact that it was UNOPENED so technically, by campus law, we are allowed to carry it around - fact.

Not really going to comment on the whole incident as its only one side of the story but the bottle would be classified as opened. If you were carrying around half empty bottle of spirits and it had its cap on it would still be an opened bottle

The original message was posted on a public messageboard inviting opinions. The UCD section is not password protected. Sometimes trolls get lecturer positions,even to UCD students.
    So you posted without having a password? :rolleyes:
    Troll LDO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

RonanAndo wrote: »
    I'm a Glenomena resident and I've had some problems with the Pulse Security Guards as well.
    One of them sexually harassed my girlfriend when she was walking to my flat on her own late at night, he wolf-whistled at her and made some comments about her breasts. She was clearly very distressed when she arrived at my place, I went out to have a word with him but he had moved on. She didn't get his jacket number but she drew a sketch which I have scanned and attached below

I'm curious to know from the OP if it is the same guy

Picture 1.png

I heard of another incident, where something similar occured in Merville. Didn't really think much of it at the time, but that's just not on.

In general I find this new company to be far too threatening. The old services used to be amicable and still managed to do their job. These Pulse clowns walk around in packs and they always give me dirty looks when I'm walking around Merville. I live there and if I want to go out and get some fresh air in the middle of the night, I should be able to do so, without feeling threatened by the people who are supposedely there for our "protection".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

We had a bottle of wine that was half full and we even bothered to put the corkscrew back in it so that we couldn't have it taken from us as technically it wouldn't be open.

Legally you had an open container. Open means has been opened [already] i.e. once you open it once, its open.
    At this point the other guard basically rugby tackled me and managed to cut my arm in 3 locations.

Depending on what you mean by "basically rugby tackled" they may have committed criminal assault and the civil wrong of trespass against the person.

However, you're picture looks like you got a few scrapes, not "three cuts"
    What should I do to try and bring this to higher powers attention???

There are a few things to bear in mind, inter alia the legality of what happened (criminal and civil, your actions and theirs), for this you may want to seek proper legal advice*, and the college code of conduct by which you are bound.

From a tort perspective they were acting as agents of UCD and so UCD are ultimately liable. Personally if I was assaulted** by security staff I would send the VP for students a solicitors letter.

* Nothing I have said in this post constitutes legal advice
    ** From the facts of your post I do not know whether or not you were assaulted

Advertisement