Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my FEMALE dog try to ride my MALE dog?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭

Where did she learn this? She mounts my male dog from behind and starts pounding away, it usually happens when she's angry...!:confused:

Genuine question by the way. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's nothing sexual, just sheer dominance.

(she's showing him (who she thinks) is boss)

Personally, I don't tolerate that kind of behaviour between my dogs. They can have their little spats, but anything overly aggressive or overly dominant (like mounting) and I let them know that no matter what THEY think that I AM boss. Full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

peasant wrote: »
    It's nothing sexual, just sheer dominance.

(she's showing him (who she thinks) is boss)

Personally, I don't tolerate that kind of behaviour between my dogs. They can have their little spats, but anything overly aggressive or overly dominant (like mounting) and I let them know that no matter what THEY think that I AM boss. Full stop.

By mounting the couch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭reality

peasants right, your dog has dominance issues. it may not cause problems if the male dog is particularly submissive and if the female acknowledges you as her leader. are either of them neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It isn't as clear cut as sheer dominance. Some bitches mount if they are sexually excited often shortly before they come into full blown heat, other play mount during play (often pups and teenage dogs) and yes, there is the dominance mounting. BUT there is also mounting to release stress, this is a learnt behaviour and should be curbed by stopping it AND offering an alternative for stress release e.g. a toy, time out alone, one to one walk or sometimes if helps to rub the dog down. Or the last possibility: there is a organic problem i.e. hormone problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's obviously telling you it wants a gender op!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's obviously telling you it wants a gender op!

I lol'ed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Yeah the other posters are right, she's trying to assert dominance over your male dog, she's the boss in her head and she's trying to let him know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

micmclo wrote: »
    I lol'ed :D

Me too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

They're both neutered btw. It's wierd how she knows the... "technique" though. What's it doing in her brain at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

My two dogs (1 male 1 female) do this to each other regularly. I thought it was a dominance thing. The male is older and would try to be more assertive, but female doesn't really let him away with it. I haven't stopped them - should I? They do seem to live very happily together without my interfering with their dominance attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

0utpost31 wrote: »
    They're both neutered btw. It's wierd how she knows the... "technique" though. What's it doing in her brain at all?

She's an animal, they all "know the technique" ...neutering just interferes with the plumbing, not with the mind/instinct.

Also, she wasn't raised with human ideas of morality either, she doesn't see anything "wrong" or "weird" with natural behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Its defo a dominance issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was going to post something similar to this thread.

Since Jericho was snipped a few weeks ago we've noticed dogs are regularly mounting him, is this normal after the operation?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Neutered males lose their *male* scent and can sometimes gender confuse other dogs.

Advertisement