Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Following a club's results.

• 24-09-2008 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

A comment by DSB in the "Adopt a team" thread has sparked this thread.

Are there any clubs who you "look out for"?

Who are they, and why?

Do you think it's silly?

Well.

I DO look out for a few clubs, for various reasons.

Carmarthen Town in the LoW because I went a couple of games when a friend was in college in the town. I'm not a fan or a supporter, but I do always have a sneaky look out for them on Soccer Saturday, even though the results are never called out.

Any team Shels have played in Europe over the years I've been following them.

Cardiff City, again I have a few Welsh mates who are fans of theirs.

Stoke City, believe it or not. I was out in Dublin about 4 years ago and a young lad who was in the pub noticed my Shels pinbadge on my coat, and said he'd been following our European run. We swapped badges, so since then I've been looking out for them.

St. Pauli because I think the club has a good set of fans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

my mate supports Wednesday, so i listen out for their results, couldnt really give a ****e though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, it's not as if I get upset and start throwing things around the room if any of them teams lose or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    my mate supports Wednesday, so i listen out for their results, couldnt really give a ****e though.

I'd probably subscribe to this point of view, I'm always gonna be more interested in the teams my friends support etc. as its conversation, but I do think its silly when people talk about it as kinda like their 2nd team. If you don't watch a team play football (and I'm referring to both live and on TV here) then seriously what is the point? I honestly thought the idea of supporting a football club is because people like football. I know theres more to supporting a club than just the football but its definitely the biggest part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Des wrote: »
    A comment by DSB in the "Adopt a team" thread has sparked this thread.

Are there any clubs who you "look out for"?

Who are they, and why?

Do you think it's silly?

Well.

I DO look out for a few clubs, for various reasons.

Carmarthen Town in the LoW because I went a couple of games when a friend was in college in the town. I'm not a fan or a supporter, but I do always have a sneaky look out for them on Soccer Saturday, even though the results are never called out.

Any team Shels have played in Europe over the years I've been following them.

Cardiff City, again I have a few Welsh mates who are fans of theirs.

Stoke City, believe it or not. I was out in Dublin about 4 years ago and a young lad who was in the pub noticed my Shels pinbadge on my coat, and said he'd been following our European run. We swapped badges, so since then I've been looking out for them.

St. Pauli because I think the club has a good set of fans

You forgot Sunderland. Bad reasons are still reasons.:)

Stekelly wrote: »
    You forgot Sunderland. Bad reasons are still reasons.:)

Of course.

And Reading. I had pints with Doyler Hunty and Longy in Coppers last december ans all three were very nice, so I hope they do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hartlepool because of Jeff Stelling. Genk because of their name and Crewe Alexander for some reason. Probably cos they took a lot of Liverpool players and vice versa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I support Waterford,
    keep a very close eye on Hibs & Chelsea,
    but always look out for Hamilton Accies after getting off with a girl from Hamilton on a school tour to Paris sometime around 1985. She said she was from Hamilton but she also said she was Paul Young's niece which turned out not to be true so maybe I've been looking out for the wrong side all these years.
    Still, it gave me a cup win over Rangers in 1987 to crow about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Bradford City, cos when i went to school in England, our teacher was also their Community Liason or something, and we all got season tickets for £19!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

brother in law's from bournemouth. try to keep up with their news. no great affection, just an interest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Scotland would be my second national team, I usually check their results/flick on the match as soon as an Ireland qualifier is over. Would be made up to see them get to a tournament and qualify (as long as it asnt at our expense), was gutted when they conceded at the last vs Italy.

Look out for Reading, Sunderland and Wolves.

And on the Scotland note, I was looking out hoping Birmingham would go down last season. Felt bad for Kelly and McFadden but McLeish is a traitor and deserves what he got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Huddersfield Town

Have done ever going to see them in the Coca Cola Cup one cold evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oddly enough there'd be a few.

Havant & Waterlooville...gig in Bristol last december, one girl at it supported them, she found out result of their FA cup match that day,o I took to following results.

Bristol City....when going to Bristol, saw some stadium, not sure which at time, then month lkater in Berlin, some lads from Bristol in hostel, hung round with them, die-hard Bristol city fans, was their stadium I saw. Still keep in touch with them about it and all, they thought me Enoch Showunmi songs which help now too.

Newcastle...I love to see a circus act(sorry lads!)

Burnley...Dad follows them for some odd reason, so I look out for result

East Sterling....noticed they were always bottom of Scottish Third Division for years, so I wanted to see them win a match. Things are on the up now though:D

Think thats about it for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Well basically any team that has an Irish player playing for them. Reading is a team I like to see do well, but once Hunt and Doyle go, and Long fails to make it, I won't care about them anymore, although they have a very good right back who is Irish.

Obviously AS Roma. Although its been a while since I get to see them play in Serie A.

Celtic

Don't care for Sunderland anymore since they are no longer really Sundireland. Like Reid and Murphy are the only ones who figure on a regular basis. Last season at one stage 6 players were Irish in the starting 11 for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Colchester United. I managed them for over 30 seasons in CM97/98. Won the premiership and European Cup countless times.

Now I just feel we have a connection lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

actually when I was young and stupid I thought I'd be so cool by selecting a 'small' team and decided to go for Cheltenham or something. then I realised this was foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I look for Cambridge United every week.
    For no other reason that when I got addicted to Championship Manager maybe 10 year back, they were a class team. So good players have played for them, Dion Dublin, Dave Kitson and that Everton keeper Ruddy.

Definitly got a soft-spot for them and they've a great website too, you could spend ages reading all the stories :)

Nearly made the Premiership back in the early days but they've slipped to non-league since then. They'll be back one day, lost the division play-off to Exeter last year

In the LOI I generally just read up on how its goin, with particular attention paid to Shels(since i was at the depor game) and Bohs (cos my Dads family grew up beside Dalymount)

I also follow Barcelona very closely as I kinda got into them as a kid when my dad brought me back a Barca scarf when he was there and his pics of the Nou Camp, it all seemed amazin. Kinda been a fan ever since. Been much easier the last few years with La Liga on Sky Sports to follow them.

In Italy i keep an eye on Juve cos i went to a Juve match (back when Zidane, Davids, diLivio, Iuliano, Montero etc played for them) so have a soft spot for them.

In England besides United I look out for Reading, Fulham, Luton and Wolves (not cos i like them, but cos Im fascinated how theyre always there or thereabouts in the Championship, usually make the playoffs but only once have made the Prem!)

In Holland Id look out for Ajax as i loved the 95-96 team and Ive been to an Ajax match in the Arena. Ill drop them for the Go Ahead eagles tho, fickle bastard that I am!! :P

I started looking out for bayern last year when they were in the UEFA solely because the CL didnt feel right without them and Juve.

Otherwise I just look at the leagues to see how the leagues are goin and occasionally watch a game on Setanta/Eurosport.
    After that i just

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Don't care for Sunderland anymore since they are no longer really Sundireland. Like Reid and Murphy are the only ones who figure on a regular basis. Last season at one stage 6 players were Irish in the starting 11 for Sunderland.

In fairness when they were Sundireland they were sh1te. I wanted them to stay up because of the Irish contingent too but lets be honest, apart from Reid the rest are very average to poor players and I dont reckon any of them will make a dramatic improvement.

Similiar to Mushy, one of the hostel gang I was on the rip with in Amsterdam was a sound Turkish dude , massive fan of the national team and Bestikas (and Liverpool, funnily enough :p ). He also knew an absoloute sh1tload about the Irish team, our WC and Euro trips, his family had a habit of supporting them because his surname when translated to English means Shamrock! Given that and their jaw dropping comebacks in Euro 08 I have to look out for them and all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh, support Sampdoria too who won Seria A back when RTE used to show it in the early 90's
    Mancini, Vialli, Lombardo (the bald eagle :pac:) and Palguica (sp?) were the stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

In the LOI I generally just read up on how its goin, with particular attention paid to Shels(since i was at the depor game)

Theres a match against Kildare in Tolka tomorrow night if you're interested in going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

KevIRL wrote: »
    Colchester United. I managed them for over 30 seasons in CM97/98. Won the premiership and European Cup countless times.

Now I just feel we have a connection lol

Lol, Forest for me, I managed them for 20+ seasons in FM a few years back, nice to see some of the familiar names in real life, Morgan, Clingan, Tyson et al :D. Also one of my best friends is a mad Forest supporter for years and he's always going on about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Of course.

And Reading. I had pints with Doyler Hunty and Longy in Coppers last december ans all three were very nice, so I hope they do well.

I was in Coppers that night too!! Hunt told my mate to fcuk off because he kept rubbing his hair. Ah to be young and starstruck like that!!

Always look out for UCD. Alma Matter and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Every so often I check up on La Liga and Serie A to see what the table is like, but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Apart from my main loves Everton and Barca, I support/follow:

New York Red Bulls /// MLS. They'll always be the Metrostars to me :-) Went to see them when I lived there. Been a few times since when on holidays and working over there..

Cerezo Osaka /// 2nd Division in Japan. Seen them when I was on holidays there.

QPR /// Best mate in primary school supported them, so always look out for their result

Dundalk FC /// Went to college in 'the town' and went to see them a good few times a season. Wouldn't be a diehard fan, but I'd go to see them when they are playing in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Brighton :) I used to always pick them in championship manager. Having them beat City tonight was an added bonus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Boardeaux :pac::pac:

Savman wrote: »
    Boardeaux :pac::pac:

Ha.

Come back dude, we'll win stuff this season. Quality players now we have.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Everton: When i was a kid living in England one of my best mates family where all mad Toffee's so i'd say they where my "english team" now.

Man City: My dad's "english team"

F.C Volendam: Played in a tournament in Amsterdam when i was a kid and went to see them play Dundee Utd in a friendly while we were there.

Botafogo: Went to see them in the Maracanna on honeymoon, amazing set of fans!

Sampdoria: Always had a soft spot for them, i think it was because i liked there strip as a kid :o

Finn Harps: My "local" team in Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well I support City and Shels so outside of that -

Wycombe Wanderers - Since the early 90s and the days of Steve Guppy and Martin O'Neill. Have their shirt from the 1993 FA Trophy final.

Leeds - My da's team.

Juventus - My Italian team since waaaay back, around the time when Del Boy first started.

Barcelona - Because of Xavi mainly.

Perth Glory - Cause it's where I'm from. Always looked out for their results long before moving here.

Boardeaux - Read all the threads and hope for a win every week.

Celtic and Sundireland - Just to see if they've lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

There's a few teams whose results I look out for in Europe, but generally don't follow in the league. Usually smaller teams like AIK (Sweden) and Brondby (Denmark), who I have some link to. I look out for how Siena are doing in the Italian leagues because when I went to see Lazio at the Olympic stadium, they were playing Siena. I think Lazio won 3-2 or 4-2, but I never liked them much, so I just started looking out for Siena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Shels, just to make sure they're still staying where they belong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Bray Wanderers

Raith Rovers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Queen of the South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Kildare County ( oh jeez thats been a labour of love this season just to have an interest ) , because I have been to a load of games and this is my ' local ' club.

Bolton , because I have a good Irish Friend who supports them , and it was so unusual since then I have ' looked for their result '. ( except when they play Chelsea of course ! )

Any non-league club in the FA cup after the first round , call me old fashioned I just love ' The Cup ' .

On the international stage Ireland I suppose, although I sometimes wonder why considering how the Irish fans react to the England scores .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Derby. had an uncle who lived there for years.

my Football manager team would be Stockport County :D

• Advertisement

I always look out for how Leeds are doing as I'd love them to get back into the top flight. Nothing beat the banter of playing Leeds.

Newcastle because my best mate supports them and I go to a **** load of their games.

Sunderland too (lol) because of the Irish connection.

Reading because of the Irish players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Derby County: have been to loads of games since i was young, even at a few in the old baseball ground.
    Always look out for their result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Kaiserslautern as I lived near there a few years back and went to a few games. They have gone to the dogs since I left though.

Leyton Orient. Not sure does this actually count as I go to their games twice or three times a season.

Barnet. Mate works for them.

gimmick wrote: »
    Barnet. Mate works for them.

And you have a dodgy one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I look out for the teams that have knocked us out of Europe over the years and hope that they get hammered every week.

It's a decent sized list, but it won't be getting any bigger for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Sunderland - yeah i know

Stanraer - been there a few times getting the ferry over and back from Scotland

Stevenage Borough - their exploits against Newcastle in the FA Cup 10 years ago still sticks out in my mind for some reason, and they always seem to be so close to promotion to the FL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And you have a dodgy one. :D

Wahey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sampdoria
    Atletico Madrid
    Benfica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

gimmick wrote: »
    Barnet.

Same here, used to live in the area during the summers back in the late 80s early 90s when they kept missing out on the Football League on the last day of the season

Also Oxford Utd, back in the mid 80s when everyone in school was Liverpool, Everton, Utd or Arsenal I went for Oxford for something different, plus they had two up and coming players who just declared for Ireland

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Apart from my main squeeze, Juve, I always look out for teams from where I've lived - Kilkeny City (RIP), St. Pat's, PSV Eindhoven, Olympique Marseille - and a couple of kind of random ones like Hamilton Academicals (first team I picked in Subbuteo, found the name hilarious at the time), Swansea, River Plate (went to see them once) and Atletico Madrid (only 'cause I dislike Real Madrid and Barcelona).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Accrington Stanley. Don't know why though.....probably because I like milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Torquay United are my biggest one. Was born there and i felt genuinely sad when we were relegated from the football league two years back.

Then there's Championship Manager syndrome. Endless list of teams built up in 9 years. Pistoese, Castel Di Sangro, Hamburg, Millwall, Benfica etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I look out for Preston ( my Da was good mates with Alan Kelly Snr ), Derby ( my granda's team ) and to this day I root against Aberdeen cos they let me down for a 6 team accumulator in 1995!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Falkirk (mate plays for em), Wolves (dad supports them) and Brechin (no idea why).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Paris St-gemain - lived in Paris for a while, went to three of four games.
    Hertha Berlin - local team, haven't been to see them live yet.
    Bohs - "dragged" there repeatedly by a friend (despite growing up as a South sider)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement