Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 100 DJ's

• 24-09-2008 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Voting almost closed for this, dissapointing that cheesy Trance DJ's have won in recent years, anyway for anyone who's interested here's the link (you get a free download if you vote) if anyone wants to vote,i voted for the following top 5.

http://top100djs.djmag.com/

1 - Joey Negro

2 - Francois K

3 - Kenny Dope

4 - Axwell

5 - CJ Mackintosh

Carl Cox is still my fav DJ but he is always going to be there or thereabouts so i thought id vote for someone else this time, and Joey Negro is IMO the king of House Music.

TBH looking through the results from last year this is a bit of a shambles, there are dj's there who certainly do not deserve to be there and there are dj's who didn't even make it into the top 100 who deserve to be in the top 10 but with the amount of spam votes that goes on in this, can we really take it seriously?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

1 - Super8
    2 - Armin Van Buuren
    3 - Alex Kidd
    4 - Eddie Halliwell
    5 - DJ Tab

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

1. Ivan Smagghe
    2. Mikhail
    3. Rob Hood
    4. David Holmes
    5. Deadmau5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

1. Ivan Smagghe
    2. Mikhail
    3. Rob Hood
    4. David Holmes
    5. Deadmau5

You realize Deadmau5 has never once dj'd in his life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

johnny, axwell cant mix or produce and is carried by other members this swedish cheese mafia.

i seen him, with my own eyes a few weeks ago in ibiza getting seb.ingrosso to mix his tunes. it was the three of them playing and he did nothing. at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

jtsuited wrote: »
    Why do you say that mate?

• Advertisement

Thought Trentemoller and Tiesto shared these awards between them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

jtsuited wrote: »

explain?

oh sorry for the confusion. it was up on his myspace here.

he's a producer who plays live sets of his own stuff. not really a dj.

or somethin like that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I would not agree with that at all. Yes ok he plays lots of his own stuff, but that is because he is absolutely a producer first and a dj second - People go to his gigs to hear him play his own music foremost, not a standard DJ set. But I've heard sets of his where he plays lots of other stuff as well as his own, and I really liked it.

Plus, when down at electric picnic, before Deadmau5 came on to the main centre stage with his mouse hat on, he played a good 20-30 minute warm up set while etc off hiding at the side of the stage - and I'm pretty sure he was using CDJ's and not ableton.

what i mean is he's not a dj in the traditional sense (he says it himself).

As in he's not a cratediggin type who stays up to date etc.

what he does is great but it's a different ball park from djing altogether.

also i'd be very surprised if he wasn't using his ableton/monome/lemur/xone setup at Electric Picnic.

Anywho doesn't matter. Sorry for the derail.

• Advertisement

I deffo agree he's not a traditional dj. But there are few 'only djs' left any more, you almost have to be a producer to get big these days...

Yes he was using a mac and ableton on the live stage but off at the side I saw him fiddling with cd's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Táck wrote: »
    johnny, axwell cant mix or produce and is carried by other members this swedish cheese mafia.

i seen him, with my own eyes a few weeks ago in ibiza getting seb.ingrosso to mix his tunes. it was the three of them playing and he did nothing. at all.

ARE YOU SURE YOU WEREN'T MAD OUT OF IT:eek:

Axwell is a class DJ ive heard many of his sets and when i seen him myself he played a cracking set consisting on funky and electro house, and fully deserves to be up there as regards new(ish) DJ's that are on the scene.

jonny68 wrote: »
    ARE YOU SURE YOU WEREN'T MAD OUT OF IT:eek:

Axwell is a class DJ ive heard many of his sets and when i seen him myself he played a cracking set consisting on funky and electro house, and fully deserves to be up there as regards new(ish) DJ's that are on the scene.

the night was so ****, i decided to abstain from everything to be honest. so yes, im sure axwell is ****e. ingrosso was very good, angello was average. i've seen angello better. axwell, sorry ingrosso, played the last song toca's miracle remix and left axwell out waving at the crowd. it was one of my lowest points of ibiza. ever.

new-ish? he's out about 5 or 6 years. i use to be a big fan until i heard that basically ingrosso, angello and prydz mostly done all the work and carried him along. seen this with my own sober eyes a few weeks back. now prydz doesnt even associate with this mafia, mainly becasue he'd fill most venues on his own now.

im not looking for an argument (re deadmau5 topic) but im just trying to save you. i use to be like you, an axwell supporter.

Eric Prydz has certainly gone off on his own - I put him in a similar catagory to Deadmau5

Táck wrote: »
    the night was so ****, i decided to abstain from everything to be honest. so yes, im sure axwell is ****e. ingrosso was very good, angello was average. i've seen angello better. axwell, sorry ingrosso, played the last song toca's miracle remix and left axwell out waving at the crowd. it was one of my lowest points of ibiza. ever.

new-ish? he's out about 5 or 6 years. i use to be a big fan until i heard that basically ingrosso, angello and prydz mostly done all the work and carried him along. seen this with my own sober eyes a few weeks back. now prydz doesnt even associate with this mafia, mainly becasue he'd fill most venues on his own now.

im not looking for an argument (re deadmau5 topic) but im just trying to save you. i use to be like you, an axwell supporter.
    No probs mate,perhaps you caught him on a bad nite (every dj does have some bad nites at some stage),i seen him and was very impressed and any dj mix ive heard from him has been very good and his production and remixing skills are of the highest quality so he gets my vote:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ahh, the whole "I don't like their genre of music so I'm going to say they don't deserve to be there" attitude

Its voted for, jonny, anyone on the list has got the votes to be there. Just cause you don't like the music they play doesn't lessen that.

DarkJager wrote: »
    1 - Super8
    2 - Armin Van Buuren
    3 - Alex Kidd
    4 - Eddie Halliwell
    5 - DJ Tab

I think Super 8 & Tab will be seen as one if (more likely when) they're placed in the charts due to their recent inseperability both production and performance wise.

Can't remember how I voted, but O'Callaghan was at number 1 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

who cares about these lists/polls anyway, they only tend represent a certain demographic who read whichever magazine holding whatever poll at the end of whenever year.
    A proper poll would be researcehed and divided according to age/sex/race/income etc etc and would probably be accurate.
    Anyway, what does "best DJ" of the year mean? feck all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

francois wrote: »
    who cares about these lists/polls anyway, they only tend represent a certain demographic who read whichever magazine holding whatever poll at the end of whenever year.
    A proper poll would be researcehed and divided according to age/sex/race/income etc etc and would probably be accurate.

Agreed. And wasnt it this particular pool that a few DJ's got into by launching a big campaign for people to vote for them

your probably right mate although this particular poll does seem to be the "main one" as it were.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Agreed. And wasnt it this particular pool that a few DJ's got into by launching a big campaign for people to vote for them

I don't know of any mid-ranking DJ that doesn't campaign. Agnelli & Nelson's site has a 'please vote' banner on login, John O'Callaghan flyered last year; Above & Beyond have a continuing thing warning of the dangers of not voting (a wedding DJ called Clive Rudloe wins it instead) and so on.

There was a few DJs who paid for dodgy votes; they were caught and thrown out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

MYOB wrote: »
    There was a few DJs who paid for dodgy votes; they were caught and thrown out.

What!??? That's just ridiculous! Which ones?

axwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

1. Alex Under
    2. Jessie Heartthrob
    3. Donnacha Costello
    4. Sven Vath
    5. Pan-Pot

Axwell is ****e, no offence.

Saw Alex Under and Heartthrob at Solas and it was by far the best gig ive been to this year.

Donnacha always bangs out a good set anytime ive seen him. Support the Irish DJs!

What!??? That's just ridiculous! Which ones?

DJ Dan, Christopher Lawrence, and a few others were all publically named as barred for voting irregularities:

http://www.djmag.com/index.php?op=story&story_op=display&story_id=1017&status=Live&type=news

Getting listed can make you thousands more over a year in terms of getting even a few more gigs out of it, as well as the cachet of being able to claim you're "Top 100" in all promotional material. Its worth the risk if you don't get caught ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Deadmau5 is a producer- he said so himself in his interview in DJ Mag. If we're counting DJs and producers, here are my top 5

1.Sven Vath
    2. Simian Mobile Disco
    3. Alter Ego
    4. Laurent Garnier
    5. Erol Alkan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Also Dubfire- mayeb shuda included him

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

Just my own opinion and taste, but none the less heres my top 5:
    1.Angerfist
    2.Ophidian
    3.Neophyte
    4.Rotterdam Terror Corps
    5.Scott brown

:cool:

Scott Brown should be disqualified by default for allowing either of the release versions of "I Would Stay" in to existance. I know it was his label that did them, but still....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Karmaa

I just love all those 'cheesy Trance DJ's' :p there is a reason they win ya know :D

Advertisement