Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me with my Beauty budget

Options
  • 24-09-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I’m trying to sort out a personal budget. Any articles I read about such things usually allow around €40 a month for beauty expenses which is in my opinion completely unrealistic. I’ve made a list of treatments I get done and how much they cost.
    French Polish €12 (not every week, maybe twice every month)
    Hi-lites €130 (3 times a year)
    Haircut €50 (every 2 months)
    Roots €40 (every 4-6 weeks) Essential as I have grey roots
    Bikini Wax €50 (Monthly essential-Mr Sunnyside loves it and I wouldn’t want to disappoint him)
    Spa treatment or massage with a friend maybe twice a year (approx €150)
    Don’t do leg waxing, usually shave, never go for facials, had a few pedicures in the summer, loved them so might include that sometimes.
    Now obviously €40 doesn’t cover that and that’s before I buy a single product. I used to be buying something from the beauty hall in BT’s almost every week but I’ve almost stopped doing that but I will have to replace my MAC foundation , etc. Maybe 1 cosmetic item from BT’s per month would be realistic.
    I don’t want to set the budget so tight that it’s unrealistic for me to stick to it but I would be interested in hearing what other people spend.
    I know what I’ve written might look like a lot to some people, it looks like too much to me but I don’t really see how I could cut back on it. I don’t smoke and spend very little on drink but taking care of my appearance is important to me.
    Any opinions on this appreciated.

Comments

well i will have to agree with the hair and bikini waxing, is €50 for a brazilian? i hope so at that price. Could you practice doing the french polish yourself? Can't you get your hair cut at the same time you're getting roots and highlights? usually saves a few quid? can you get a cheaper hairdresser? I use benefit foundation but before that I used Max Factor (when I was young and poor) and I always thought it was brilliant, only reason I ever changed was cos I earn more money now so think I should have dearer things!!!
    Do you really need a new piece of make up every month? maybe you could buy make up online and save a few quid there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

See, to me that looks like a lot.

As for makeup, I love Plush Lash, bought a tube in March and it's still going strong, but I'm going to have to get a new one soon, it's getting old. No7 Amazing Eyes pencil (works as shadow and liner for me) still going strong too. Bought Dandelion in March, not a dent in it yet. On my second thing of L'Oreal True Match Minerals since March. 6 months worth of makeup for less than €100, at an average of 6 days a week of make-up usage, while still maintaining my 2 minute make-up regime in the morning.

have to agree blush, you can look fab for alot less than 40 quid a month

I went through a phase of buying loads of make up every time I left the house, but I never bloody use it, well no don't get me wrong, I use make up every day, but I have every colour eyshadow, eyeliner, lip gloss, bronzer, blusher you can think of and I use the same stuff every day, my benefit foundation, max factor pressed powder, bad gal lash for going out and max factor masterpiece max for day time, and mac fluidline eyeliner for going out - the tub of that will last for years! and I have never to this day, used all of an eyeshadow, never, have millions of the flippin things, expensive ones too. think you just need to ween yourself off the addiction, it can be done.

Do you do fake tan on top of this? that'd be one of my only big expenses, along with my hair, have never had a facial or a massage in my life - and believe me, I like the finer things in life, would just rather have a pair of shoes than a facial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I would cut down on the haircuts a little, to just when you get the highlights. A decent foundation is really essential. If you're on a tight budget then the spa thingies should probably go too. I'd keep the rest.

I spend a lot on beauty as well so I know how you feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Replies in bold.
    well i will have to agree with the hair and bikini waxing, is €50 for a brazilian? Yes

Could you practice doing the french polish yourself?
    I've tried, bought all the bits required but I'm useless at it, I can fix chips though so that makes it last a bit longer. But isn't €12 kind of cheap? Other people get gel or acrylic nails refilled all the time.

Can't you get your hair cut at the same time you're getting roots and highlights? usually saves a few quid?

No, all of the salons appear to be charging separately for cut and colour these days even if you do both at the same time and they only have to do the blowdry once:mad:

can you get a cheaper hairdresser?

I got a dry cut a few times in the summer at a cheaper salon but looking at some photos recently my hair was a mess and looked badly cut so I'm not sure about doing that again.

Do you really need a new piece of make up every month? maybe you could buy make up online and save a few quid there?

You would think not but right now my perfume is empty and my foundation is almost empty so replacing those would be 2 months worth of purchases with the new rule:confused:

It's mostly the hair that's costing a fortune.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote: »
    If you're on a tight budget then the spa thingies should probably go too. I'd keep the rest.

!

The spa treatments are kind of a social thing. The girl I go with I only meet a few times a year. Spa treatments are her thing, she goes for a massage once a month. If I didn't go to the spa with her I'd be going out with her for drinks or a meal so that would be costing money too.

I only have me to support but I pay the mortgage on my own so I really have to watch my spending. Must sort out the food budget as well.

It's easier to budget for household expeneses than personal spending.

have to agree blush, you can look fab for alot less than 40 quid a month

Do you do fake tan on top of this? that'd be one of my only big expenses, along with my hair.

No, I never do fake-tan.

But if you're doing fake tan and hair how can that cost less than €40 a month:confused: Wouldn't one salon tan cost €40 all by itself before you have even bought a tube of toothpaste or a bottle of cleanser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

i have to say i colour my own hair and its always perfect. It cost about €10 every six weeks. I use the max factor foundation 16hr superstay i think its is and i find it brilliant and very cheap. Lasts months. I use a tricolour eyeshadow and use muted tone in the day blend all 3 for evening for a more dramatic look. I manicure my own nails..hands and feet and it always looks fine just takes practice. Ask someone to get your perfume in the duty free if there going on hols or put it on your xmas/bday list. And maybe ask for boots vouchers for xmas and bday and use them to stock up for yourself!

Use a tinted moisturiser maybe sometimes instead of foundation all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Do you NEED it all done professionally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I started to type out what I spend on beauty, but decided against posting it just in case I get slated..
    You have a good budget set for yourself. I think it is important for a woman to look after her personal appearance. You have put down realistically what you spend.

The only thing I dont see on your list is moisturisers, toners, cleansers, wipes etc. For me personally these would be quite expensive.

If you are trying to cut down on your budget, How about asking your friends and family to treat you to spa vouchers for christmas birthdays etc. Or vouchers for BT's for your make up. And perhaps trying the nails yourself as suggested before.

The hair is very important, I think a trip to the hairdressers is like a therapy session.. You go in feeling worn out and stressed and come out with a bounce in your step..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

sunnyside wrote: »
    The spa treatments are kind of a social thing. The girl I go with I only meet a few times a year. Spa treatments are her thing, she goes for a massage once a month. If I didn't go to the spa with her I'd be going out with her for drinks or a meal so that would be costing money too.

Why not invite her to your house and cook her a meal and have a bottle of wine and a chat? Would save you the spa treatment costs and you wouldn't need to be spending money on going out for dinner and drinks.

Why do you get a french polish so often? Fair enough you mightn't be able to do a french polish yourself but do some sort of DIY. Cut your nails, shape them, exfoliate your hands and moisturise them and put on just normal nail polish and for a tight budget it's as good as anything. If your nails are brittle make sure you're getting plenty of vitamins, Vitamin A and lots of calcium are best for strong nails I do believe.

The hair seems very excessive to me, if I were on a tight budget there's no way I could justify spending what you spend on your hair, perhaps ask for a more manageable cut next time that requires a little less maintenance.

You do need a good foundation alright, perhaps make sure you're not wasting any so that it will last longer. Sponges for example can soak up way too much foundation and your bottle will go quickly, that's what I have found anyway. I heard a make up artist say that for liquid foundation once you shake the bottle and take off the lid the contents of the lid is all you should be using on your face.

Best of luck with the budget anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Some very good advice already. As for the Spa and its social element - why not arrange for your friend to meet you in Boots where there is loads of stuff to pamper yourself with at home, facial and body scrubs, body butter, fascial masks etc., and all for little money. You can then go to your or her place and have a girly afternoon trying all the different things. Sounds more entertaining than a Spa to me, no? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Do you NEED it all done professionally?

That's what I was thinking. Surely you have a friend of yours that's working in a local hairdressers that could do your hair for half the price. As for the bikini wax well... again same deal if you know somebody working in a hairdressers or a spa and get them to do it for ya.

Or just go for the cheaper option and shave it. Is there a reason you need to do all of this though just to feel attractive?

Thanks for the replies, I'm starting to see a pattern here, people like me and Quality who see all this grooming as very important and others who aren't so bothered about it.
    Achilles wrote: »
    Or just go for the cheaper option and shave it. Is there a reason you need to do all of this though just to feel attractive?

I think Achilles is right as well, to be honest I don't feel attractive unless I keep my hair nice, etc. When I look bad I feel bad. Please don't try sending me for counselling, that would cost me more than the hair appointments.;)

The problem with doing your hair yourself is that when you are used to having the hair done professionally there's a huge difference with the results.

Problem with shaving instead of waxing for bikini is stubble in about a day. Razor blades cost €14 a pack approx. and if you're using them every day that adds up to a lot as well. I have tried razor blades from Aldi and they are rubbish.

Quality wrote: »
    I started to type out what I spend on beauty, but decided against posting it just in case I get slated..
    You have a good budget set for yourself. I think it is important for a woman to look after her personal appearance. You have put down realistically what you spend.

The only thing I dont see on your list is moisturisers, toners, cleansers, wipes etc. For me personally these would be quite expensive.

Be brave, tell us what you spend, they won't have to be shocked at me then:D

I didn't really include the moisturisers, shampoo etc as I have loads of them at home from constantly buying things on 3 for 2 and gift with purchase offers.

I don't go for anything too expensive though, I'm happy enough with using Olay or Nivea or something from Boots.

Where are all the people with beauty budgets that include Botox or Creme de La Mer:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Thanks for the replies, I'm starting to see a pattern here, people like me and Quality who see all this grooming as very important and others who aren't so bothered about it.

It's not about not being bothered about it, that's hardly fair on the other posters, the point of your thread was budgeting. If you had all the money in the world then go get your hair done everyday and feel great about yourself, if I could afford that I would too. You were seeking advice on how to work a better beauty budget, of course people are going to suggest you sacrifice different things, do things yourself and alter how you do things, what did you expect them to say? :confused: if you wanted everyone to say 'spend all you like on your hair and make up sure you'd be miserable without it' then you should have said so in the first place.

Grooming is important yes but you can do it much cheaper than you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

wow i mustnt spend that much at all on beauty!

nails - are they really VITAL? file & shape them yourself free :)

hair - i understand wanting to look after it but you must spend an insane amount of time in the hairdressers every month! is your cut something high maintenance? every 2 months for a cut seems a bit excessive to me (but my hairs long & i have a fear of hairdressers cutting off too much!).

waxing & makeup seem reasonable too.

but i just dont seem to have all these costs.. :confused: & i dont think its fair to say that the rest of us arent "so bothered".

im not into my nails or anything, i dont colour my hair, & the only beauty treatment i do regularly would be getting my lashes & eyebrows tinted, which is about €20. plus a haircut every 5/6 months. i spend money on makeup & skin products but not so much that id notice huge chunks regularly. a decent cleanser, toner & moisturiser can cost about 50 but they last a long time, i use mac foundation but i only use makeup going out so i dont have to buy it too regularly. i tend to pick up makeup bit by bit, eg. i bought a new mascara during the week = €15 (but got free eyeshadow with it yay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

If someone is sort of high maintenance, and you are heading there, no offense, and you've gotten used to all the treatments/visits to hairdressers etc. it's really difficult to give that up.
    Why do you need a budget of 40? Do you HAVE to have that budget or is it something that you wonder would it be do-able at all?

With your replies I'm not sure I get your initial question.

Yes, 40 EUR is do-able if you don't go to the hairdressers at all (cut your own hair - my sis did that in college) barely ever buy any make up for yourself and never go for any facials or manicures.
    40 EUR would be bog-standard mascara every 3rd month, a cheapo cleanser and a hair colour from say L'Oreal every few weeks.
    That's about it. Go to Boots, check how much the essentials are?
    If you can you can, do your own waxing. I do it so it's not impossible. I just do not want to spend 55 EUR on having someone else do something that hurts just as much if I do it myself :rolleyes:

I'm close to 100 each month on "beauty" as I call it in my budget and I'm not even close to high maintenance. I wouldn't cut and colour my hair more than 2 a year and I'll have a blow dry maybe 4 times a year - waste of money IMO...

Aynyway, 40 is tough. Good luck!

I think Achilles is right as well, to be honest I don't feel attractive unless I keep my hair nice, etc. When I look bad I feel bad. Please don't try sending me for counselling, that would cost me more than the hair appointments.;)

The problem with doing your hair yourself is that when you are used to having the hair done professionally there's a huge difference with the results.

Problem with shaving instead of waxing for bikini is stubble in about a day. Razor blades cost €14 a pack approx. and if you're using them every day that adds up to a lot as well. I have tried razor blades from Aldi and they are rubbish.

Be brave, tell us what you spend, they won't have to be shocked at me then:D

I didn't really include the moisturisers, shampoo etc as I have loads of them at home from constantly buying things on 3 for 2 and gift with purchase offers.

I don't go for anything too expensive though, I'm happy enough with using Olay or Nivea or something from Boots.

Where are all the people with beauty budgets that include Botox or Creme de La Mer:confused:

Get yourself something permanent then, like a Gillette Veet. They're pretty much the female version of a Mach 4 I think at this stage. Whenever I can be arsed shaving (which is hardly ever considering I like my beard) It keeps the stubble away for a good 3 days before it starts to get rough. Once you start off with a few blades you should be fine.

Ohhh I won't try sending you to counselling I'm fully aware that some people need to look good to feel more attractive but think about it for a sec, if you get a look or two or someone seems more interested in you when you're wearing makeup than without... I mean if they were to show no interest in you at all if you weren't wearing makeup then what's the point in even trying to make Mr. Shallow take a second look?

Would you try lasering the bikini line to save long term?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Would you try lasering the bikini line to save long term?

Good point. More expensive in the short term but cheaper in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

:Cut your own hair???:eek:

Mother of god, no, Dont do it!!!

For me personally my hair needs to be cut every 6-8 weeks, I usually get my colour done then as well.. If I leave it any longer It takes me too long to style and I have a bushy head on me. My hair is thick and if not thinned out or shaped regularly It just sits funny on me..

I would spend between €100 and €150 in the hairdressers every two months.

I buy my hair products in the hairdressers (Redken) Usually €20 every two months.

I would spend on average €70 on face creams every 10 weeks or so. I use lancome products, My skin can get quite dry in patches. I used to use simple products but after a bad dry spell, I have switched to Lancome and the results are much better.

Make up, I dont wear that much during the week, and with 2 kids dont get out that often, I like my lancome juicy tubes and big fatty lip plumpers. I buy inexpensive Mascaras and pencils... A mineral for my base and I have lots of nice blushers that Seem to last forever. I probably spend a maximum of €250 per year on make up in total.. And that is being generous.

Waxing is €40 a month,
    I get my tan done for special occassions, Full body maybe 10 times a year at €40 a go. The false tan I would buy is clinique and it is €23 a bottle.. Doesnt last that long...

Nails Filed and french polished for special occasions only, so maybe 10 times a year at €17 a go.
    Oh and also for special occasions I may have gotten a blow dry or upstyle so you can add on another €25-35, 10 times a year or so..

Facials and massages are special treats usually vouchers or presents..

I dont find what I spend excessive. I feel better when I look better. It probably looks a lot typed out and too look at me, you might wonder why I bother...:pac::pac::pac::eek:

Haha, I wouldn't say I'd recommend cutting your own hair, I'm just saying if someone has no money that could be the only option.

I mean if you're a poor person, you just can't spend your money in a hairdressers since it's not life-savingly important. You'd rather spend your money on food.

I still don't get this thread....:confused:

Should we re-name it
    "How much do you spend on beauty products monthly" ?

I still don't get this thread....:confused:

Should we re-name it
    "How much do you spend on beauty products monthly" ?

Maybe:)The €40 I was talking about always seems to be the "recommended" amount when you see magazine articles sorting out peoples personal finances. I didn't mean that I only have €40 to spend. I was just wondering if people thought that was realistic. I need to set a beauty budget so knowing the average amount other people spend helps.

I know what everything costs but I've mostly avoided adding it all up if that makes sense. €100 seems more realistic to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Try getting an epilator to save on waxing costs they are about 80 quid upfront but boots often do deals and they'll work for 2 or 3 years so no waxing costs apart from the brazilian and the same regrowth no stubble as with shaving.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying Sunnyside...
    Well 40 for me is really unrealistic. I think it's maybe an average of what all people spend (babies and old men included, lol!).
    Yeah, 100 is much more realistic. And gives you breathing space for those unexpected blow dries whatever. I always budget 100 and sometimes I spend a bit less and sometimes a bit more....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I love Lancome moisturiser. HydraZen Neurocalm all the way bay-bee! It's worth the splurge. That said, I got three and a half months out of the tube I got in the airport, and the current pot seems bottomless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I always budget 100 and sometimes I spend a bit less and sometimes a bit more....

Same here, I get my hair cut every six weeks as it's short, the rest goes on mainly Clinique stuff as I'm allergic to most other skincare/cosmetics, and then day to day toiletries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My last Clinique moisturiser lasted 10 months and I use it every day. It only cost about 20e too as I got in in America.

I never go to beauty salons except to get a spray tan about once every 2-3 months which is e35-ish. I do fake tan once a week with a heavy coating, so have to buy a bottle about every month. Might go for a cheap one but often buy St Tropez which is e50 a bottle. I buy my foundation in bulk - a bottle which is the size of 6 bottles of Double Wear for only e80 - lasts over a year. I got my hair dyed recently but probably won't again. I get my hair cut about every 6 months which is probably about e50.

I have a gigantic amount of Mac make up, enough to never run out but I'd still probably buy e50 a month of it on average. In particular, I have to buy mascara all the time as I use it so much.

I would consider myself very 'high maintenance' but I still don't spend all that much compared with some people here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Hmmmm, I do think €40 is unrealistic as a monthly spend.

I was going to post what how I 'maintain' myself, but decided I didn't want to shock myself.

In reality I do spend a lot, but I justify it because my appearance is very important in the line of work that I am in. It is amazing what home treatments you can do if you put your mind to it tho, but I do feel certain things are better left to the professionals!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement