Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens natural fears

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

We have a fairly big spider knocking around our side passage now for the last couple of weeks. He was out again this evening and I was curious as to how my son would react to seeing such a large spider.

He has seen spiders before and his normal reaction is to either stand on them or squash them with the palm of his hand....so up till now he has never shown any sort of fear of them or any other insect or animal.

But when he saw this spider tonight he seemed terified of it...he wouldnt go anywhere near it.....so would that be a proof that most people are maybe born with a natural fear of spiders...maybe harking back to our ancestors?

Anyway heres a picture of the spider...Iv posted a picture of him before on another thread because iv never seen a spider so big in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think children pick up fears from adults, usually their parents. Think my cats would have enjoyed catching that spider, it's big alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Interesting...

I think you're right... every one has a fear of spiders. I believe the magnitude of the fear is directly proportional to the size of the spider. I would have no problem seeing or squashing a small spider.. but those big boys with the big fat bodies.... uhhhh... yuuuuukkkk.... seriously... I get the shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Spiders don't bother me but I lose all reason when it comes to mice or rats. Cannot even look at them in a picture or on tv, even Stuart Little freaked me out. I just become a blubbering wreck. If I unexpectedly see a mouse or rat on tv I'll have nightmares for a couple of nights, jaysus just thinking about them is horrible. I have a couple of cats.;)

Don't like wasps either as they can hurt.

Advertisement