Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's Health Forum - Startup Q & A

• 24-09-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭

OK. The forum has been approved, which is great.
    Now we need to make it work.

It has come as a bit of a surprise, so I'm not as well prepared as I would like.

I plan on going through the support thread and drawing out all of the various ideas (good bad & indifferent) and distilling a more robust and complete charter.

This will take some time, and in the meantime, people will have questions & ideas.

Let's have them here.

The first question, posed by brianthebard is a good question
    "Will anonymous posting be supported ?"

Thoughts please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

trout wrote: »
    The first question, posed by brianthebard is a good question
    "Will anonymous posting be supported ?"

Thoughts please :)

It's a good idea - much like Tom said in the Charter this forum will be run like (but not exactly in the same vein as) PI. There will inevitably be sensitive issues discussed that some folk would prefer to talk about anonymously and if anon posting gives them the freedom to do that then so be it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think the general consensus in the request thread was that anonymous posting should be allowed. IIRC, all unregged posts have to be pre-modded anyway, so there wouldn't be any danger of muppets spamming the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've just clarified it in the Charter thread - Vexorg confirmed to me that there is a facility for anonymous posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sweet my first question is answered. Ok another one that I was of is pictures and diagrams, specifically those of genitals. I can think of a couple of instances where these might be important or even essential. The first might be a young fella (or even an older one) asking where such and such a thing is, be it on their penis or maybe even a woman's vagina. the second would be for threads about checking for cancer. A third might be std's. Now the second example in my mind at least calls for detailed diagrams as well as instructions, although the diagrams will most likely be nsfw and maybe then some. Same goes for the std's one. What will be the forum line on this sort of thing? What will be acceptable and what won't? Would nsfw beside a link and a description of what its about be enough? Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I would be slow to have many links to explicit pics or diagrams.
    If people are looking for that kind of help, they really need expert (not Internet) advice.

Personally, I would be conservative about links/info/diags/pics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I think brian is right though, they could be of value (even if just for some basic queries). How about having some 'approved' diagrams as part of a general info (if such a thing is to be created) sticky or the like which can be referred to if needed, that way you can censor all other images freely.

I would be slow to have many links to explicit pics or diagrams.
    If people are looking for that kind of help, they really need expert (not Internet) advice.

Well I'm pretty sure someone posted a link to a vagina diagram in tll before. Thinking about it more the std example might be an excuse for people to post nasty images though. The checking for cancer one is really really important though and I don't think you/we should shy away from putting as much info up there as possible. Yes if someone posts " I have a lump in my sack, what do I do?" or "I have a rash on my penis" its a medical issue and should be treated as such, but someone asking how to check these things should be able to find that sort of info here.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

great to see the forum up and running, bit dissapointed to see it hidden away under science.

I'm off to get popcorn, but will be back for first thread from Brian anonymous with diagrams. I just know it will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

...someone asking how to check these things should be able to find that sort of info here.

fair enough ... but I think the info held here should be links to reputable sources only. This is not a medical forum.

NSFW give the wrong idea ... perhaps "This link will bring you to an external site which may contain graphic images ..." or similar in the tags ?

Yeah that sounds good trout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think something like the standard anatomical diagram of a penis and associated bits and pieces, such as you'd find in a school science book with the various parts labelled, would be useful and shouldn't offend too many people. It could be attached to a NSFW link, just to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

ooh just found this forum :).

As we are discussing pictures it seems (though late in) i think Zaph's idea of anatomical pics is the best.
    or even just a link to a site.

But i wholeheartedly agree with a BIG NSFW sign.

I have said before i would like to see a range of beermats with pictures on them, would sorta focus the attention when finishing the pint.
    But here is a good start

Advertisement