Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image Rating

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi, Im building a website and wanted a feature where I can upload photos and users can rank them. Ive done a few googles on this and nearly all the results are pages of crap that want you to buy there app and put it on there site.

I am pretty knowledgeable about SQL and SYBASE and Unix but havent done any front end stuff. Can anyone give me some advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I'd say look up PHP and put some simple stuff in to upload the pictures and also some post back stuff to get the rates back from the users.

Look up http://www.htmlgoodies.com it has some pretty good tutorial on there with PHP which I learned a few years ago, and there are other things like javascript and ASP if you wanted to take that route either. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

This any good to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭zardette

Hi there,

I would break this up into two different tasks....

1. The uploading /displaying of the image....
    2. The ranking of that image...
    Personally I would only allow this to registered users of the site so you might want to research permissions as well.

Images can make the page very slow and people tend to upload very large images....
    So for the images I would look into
    1. Size/ type restriction
    2. Displaying the page as a thumbnail image and then an option to click for a larger view (noting that this maybe bandwidth intense).
    3. How the images are stored in the database.
    4. Preview of what image and content they are uploading.
    The second task is the ranking...
    You might want to controlmultiple ranking by either a cookie or an IP locking.
    As for the ranking there should be a routine that does this for you ....
    Before thinking on the technology maybe draw out in paper what the database looks like to store both the images and the ranking getting this right from the start will save you allot of grief later......
    As for l what languages to use well as my PHP knowledge is limited in image rendering I am not sure how well it does this...
    I can say that ASP.NET and MSSQL can handle this well.

If you have decided on that on that then I can give you further pointers on this technology .

Hope this helps and excuse my rushed typing as its Friday and ...... :rolleyes:
    Z

Advertisement