Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saddle creak

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone suffers ( not sure if that is the right word)from saddle creakage. was just out tonight and the saddle was creaking a good bit which makes me a bit nervous that something might eventually give way. im a bigish fella at around 85kg or so. i recently bought a thomson elite seatpost to replace my old seatpost as i thought this would sort the problem. i also have a newish selle italia prolink ( mtb version ). saddles never look very sturdy so im always a bit wary of them. the rails on this are vanox tube with carbon coating http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html.

could it have something to do with the way its setup?

is this a normal thing? or is it possible that one day ill find myself in hospital carrying the saddle as a souvenir.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I get the same problem, I'm a bit bigger than you also.
    I find it comes and goes, and depends on your seating position.
    Although, I fear, the extra bit of weight doesnt help either,you could try moving the saddle forward and back, very little at a time. I'm talking half a centimeter.But ensure your'e comfortable, as it could be just a simple counter balancing required, but be very careful, as your comfort is at stake, and that is most important to prevent injury.
    Or it could be a case of the saddle being too small.
    These are just my opinions, maybe it's just one of those things, bikes can make strange, annoying and totally harmless noises that you might never get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

try cleaning and greasing your saddle rails. bits of grit get thrown up there and can cause it to grind

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My saddles (Brooks) all creak, I see it as suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    My saddles (Brooks) all creak, I see it as suspension.

That's not your saddles, it's your bum!

My brooks creaks if I'm not properly balanced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's not your saddles, it's your bum!

My brooks creaks if I'm not properly balanced :)
    I'm pretty sure it's the rails rather than saddle. My bum doesn't creak in other situations :eek: I did notice that the sit bone indentations on my Swallow at least are not centred, they are off to the right... But enough about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's the rails rather than saddle. My bum doesn't creak in other situations :eek: I did notice that the sit bone indentations on my Swallow at least are not centred, they are off to the right... But enough about that.

I thought it was the leather squeaking against the rails, but what do I know -maybe it is the rails :)

Advertisement