Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor decision....

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

I'm looking into buying a monitor and have a few questions...

Originally I wanted a 22", but then I read that the resolution that 22" monitors run at (1680 x 1050) isn't there native resolution. So then I thought maybe I should go for a 20" monitor running at 1680 x 1050, since it should be just about the same. Am I right in thinking this?

I'm also considering stretching to a 24", but I'm just not sold on it....yet.

So, what's the deal with native resolution? Is it just stretching the pixels to give a bigger screen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

20 inch monitors generally have a native resolution of 1680 x 1050
    22 inch monitors generally also have a native resolution of 1680 x 1050
    24 inch monitors generally also have a native resolution of 1920 x 1200

(had to state that for my sake aswell really)

so yes,it would seem a 22" simply has bigger pixels than a 20" and will be just as demanding on your graphics card. However, your not going to notice this unless ur working on ur PC with a magnifying glass. so id buy the 22"

a 24" inch has many more pixels, therefore is much more demanding on your graphics card. as long as you can afford to buy one and have the graphcs to support that resolution. go for it.

24" is big though...very big. Be prepared to sit a little further away from your desk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have a 22" and a 20" widescreen dell's. And when playing games on either one i dont notice any difference in the quality or frame rate.

Manties wrote: »
    I have a 22" and a 20" widescreen dell's. And when playing games on either one i dont notice any difference in the quality or frame rate.

TBH, i dont either regardless of screen size. i just get into the game and as long as it runs smoothly and good looking (graphics wise), I care less about screen size than I do about global warming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

LOL

Manties wrote: »
    LOL
    I was wondering what was with the "LOL"....then I realised what could be taken as sexual inuendo.... haha...

(if thats not what you said lol to, then never mind)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

20 inch monitors generally have a native resolution of 1680 x 1050
    22 inch monitors generally also have a native resolution of 1680 x 1050
    24 inch monitors generally also have a native resolution of 1920 x 1200

(had to state that for my sake aswell really)

so yes,it would seem a 22" simply has bigger pixels than a 20" and will be just as demanding on your graphics card. However, your not going to notice this unless ur working on ur PC with a magnifying glass. so id buy the 22"

a 24" inch has many more pixels, therefore is much more demanding on your graphics card. as long as you can afford to buy one and have the graphcs to support that resolution. go for it.

24" is big though...very big. Be prepared to sit a little further away from your desk....

Thanks, that's cleared things up.

Much of my work will be done for photography and image editing, so a bigger resolution would be a great advantage for me (I deal with photos 4000 x 3000). I'll be moving on to video editing and do general coding also. Would the extra 240 x 150 pixels (and a better monitor) be worth the extra €160?

Muchos gracias for the advice :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi there,
    I just got this baby and she is superb.

You do have to sit back - it is big but for gaming etc - exo.
    I have started to edit HD clips and it's great that you can have the software open and a music vid playing - all on the one monitor -ie both resized :D

and it supports 1920*1200 full hd,

K

edit - forgot link :o

karltimber wrote: »
    You do have to sit back - it is big but for gaming etc - exo.

the Father Ted clip with Doogle and Ted in the caravan with the plastic cow comes to mind....

"These are small... but the ones out there are far away."

Id still go for the bigger monitor though....bigger e-penis.

Advertisement