Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sonos to home theatre

• 24-09-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

please can someone explain to me how i could connect my zoneplayer to my 5.1 system.i hAVE A GOOD SONY WHICH IS ABOUT 3 YRS OLD BUT THE ONLY CONNECTION ON THE BACK IS THE COAXIAL,DO I NEED TO UPGRADE MY SYSTEM AND WHAT DO I NEED TO LOOK FOR ON A NEW SYSTEM IN ORDER TO PLAY MY SONOS THROUGH IT?
    ANY ADVICE GREATLY RECIEVED
    CHEERS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

got my sonos system today..still waiting for some advice on connecting it to a 5.1 system..thanks readers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Hi chief,

Is the coaxial connection on the back of your Sony system a "digital" coaxial output OR input connection?
    If it is an input then you are sorted as the Sonos zone players have a corresponding digital coaxial output.
    So, all you need is a digital coaxial lead (available in peats/maplins/harveys/etc) to connect the two together. Then simply select the corresponding input on your sony system.
    If you are unsure just post the model number of the sony system and i'll let you know.

Cheers.

Homer.

homer..thanks a million for getting back to me the model number is sony dav-dz100.if this one is not compatable with my zone players could you recommend one for me with all the connections i need..cheers buddy

Hi Chief,

Bad news i'm afraid! The coaxial connection on the back of your system is for FM reception only!

What you want is a system with either and optical or (digital) coaxial that look like this...

Coaxial_to_optical.gif

If you ask any half knowledgeable sales person in harveys/peats/etc they should be able to reccommend one that has the required connnection without spending too much money.

Something like this retailing around the €270 mark has the connections you require.

Cheers,

Homer.

jesus homer thats the system i was actually looking at for the last few weeks.im just looking at the back of my zoneplayer and obviously connecting speakers to it is a doddle but is it the audio analog inputs i use to connect it to the 5.1? and what cable do i need.your prob thinking EEGIT but im trying to get my head around it

• Advertisement

No worries. No, its not the analog outputs from the zoneplayer you use. The Sony system I just linked to doesn't have analog inputs anyway.
    You have to use a digital coaxial cable. The Sonos zoneplayer has a digital coaxial output, and the Sony system has a digital coaxial input.

zp120_overview.jpg

On the right hand image it is the purple connector. On the sony system there is only one connection it will fit into labelled "digital in" "coaxial".

Cheers,

Homer.

fair play to you homer you know your stuff.i was thrown off by the purple connecter saying"subwoofer" thanks a million for takin the time to run me through it i really appreciate it

OK... now i feel like a complete moron! Do you have the ZP80/90 or the ZP100/120??

I've just realised that the connection on the rear of the ZP100/120 is actually a subwoofer output and not a digital coaxial connector! My bad.

On the ZP80/90 there is a digital coaxial output and I presumed there was one on the ZP100/120 too :o

I posted a pic of the ZP120 instead of the ZP90! (Below is the ZP90 with the relevant connections)

img_32_2.jpg

So, we are back to square one unless you have a ZP80/90??

I will look for a system that has analog inputs for you as this will be the only way to connect a ZP100/120 to a home cinema system.

The norm is to connect ZP80/90 to home theatre systems as they don't have built in amplification unlike the ZP100/120!

Apologies again!

i bought a bundle pack with 2 zp120's and a zone bridge

would the best bet be to buy a zp90? to save the hassle? i just thought that maybe 2 zp120's would be better than 1 of each but i could use one elsewhere if a 90 is needed.... no need for apologies by the way..this info is great!!!!!

• Advertisement

If you could could use the ZP120 somewhere else as another zone then yes the ZP90 is designed specifically for what you are trying to achieve. The more zones the merrier I say!

Let me know if you need any further help.

Homer.

cheers pal

yep homer you're spot on with the zp90 advice so thats what im gonna do,with regards to the the setting up? does one of the zone players have to be hard wired into the laptop(i know a nas is the way to go when funds allow it) or when the zoneplayer is plugged into the router will it pick up the music on the laptop and connected storage device wirelessly?

At least one of the zone players hast to be connected to your music source be it your pc or a NAS. You could buy a zonebridge @ 99 euro to get around that but at that cost you'd be better just biting the bullet and buying a NAS :p

i actually have a zone bridge already

i actually have a zone bridge already

Sorry yes you mentioned that earlier. Use the zonebridge as the item that is connected to your laptop so instead of one of your zoneplayers, unless you have range issues with the controller and need to specifically place the zonebridge somewhere to improve the coverage.

im actually not going to set it up untill ive moved into the new house..so could there be a range issue on the controller?

and connection between zonebridge and laptop is through ethernet cable?

and connection between zonebridge and laptop is through ethernet cable?

Yup!

Sent you a PM too by the way!

Advertisement