Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startin a club night in Dungarvan

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Anyone interested?
    Mainly focusing on alternative stuff, something other then chart stuff etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Where? When? How?

Badly missing from the town, so hope it takes off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

I dunno yet, but lookin for help and any ideas for venues etc..
    Best to start small and work up.
    If we had a few people playing different sets, i.e. dance, alt rock (indie), reggae etc.. or mixtures therein then it would be great.
    I only have one rule, No one will be called DJ anything, it's past and tired
    and lacks imagination.
    Thinkin maybe a thursday night, 9 to 1 or so if possible to get it going.
    After that don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I was with you until I saw your first type of music was dance, that is everywhere you go in Dungarvan. If you want Rock, Indie, alt Rock, etc. let me know and I would love to organise something but dance, christ give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

In my last reply I didn't mean to slag Dance music but it's everywhere, it doesn't need a separate club. Rock music has nowhere to go.

When I meant Dance I meant different types of dance music
    not the chart ****e you get everywhere else.
    There have been some great crossover dance records over the years
    and not to play them would be very short sighted.
    Also Jamacian dancehall stuff, African afrobeat, german stuff.
    But yes the focus will most definitely be on other music or musics.
    Say an example mix sequence would be Neu! into Stereolab into Tortoise into Mouse on Mars into Kraftwerk into A King Tubby Mix into The Orb (get a slow vibe) build back up with some Burial and run that into a God Speed you Black Emperor then rebuild a new mix from the Ashes of the fall out of the previous one e.g out of the din of God Speed comes Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds into some Stooges into a Nuggets track into The Fall into Happy Mondays etc.. etc...
    Anyone like this kind of mix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

JLemmon wrote: »
    Anyone like this kind of mix?

I would but I'm 37 and my club/thursday night era is well behind me. I'd be more inclined to sit in Downey's and hijack the jukebox.

Best of luck with it though.

I'm 31, all I wanna do I play some records somewhere in dungarvan
    and I'm trying to get a feel for possible interest, so don't worry
    come along if I get it going, please don't be put off by the club idea.
    Just thought a dedicated night would be a better idea then background music in a pub as you'd have a crowd who would appreciate it as opposed to heads lookin at you crooked for not playing bland wallpaper stuff.
    It's all about the music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

That mix looks good alright. You should steal some ideas from look at BigSexyLand, sounds like the kind of thing you're talking about.

If it's done right it might be something I'd be interested in helping out with. Not being a college town I'm not sure about Thursday nights, but I realise the difficulty in getting a weekend venue. I guess it could work, but a Friday night, monthly even, would be a lot better.

Yeah monthly to start with might work too, might be easier to get
    a free friday or saturday night somewhere, give some time to get a play list together etc..
    Gonna see over the weekend what options are available and avenues I can pursue

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mullaj00

showry wrote: »
    I would but I'm 37 and my club/thursday night era is well behind me. I'd be more inclined to sit in Downey's and hijack the jukebox.

Best of luck with it though.

You're never too old auld stock. It's all that running and cycling that you're doing that is screwing up your beer belly!
    Was in the Roisin Dubh a few weeks back. A DJ came on after the crazy rock band. I thought, here we go again, some crap music set. The bloke was outstanding! Mixing all his own stuff and had the place bouncing! I just stood there watching him for 1 1/2 hrs. The energy was unreal!!
    Showry, you should have seen it? Oh no, you were after getting chucked out at that stage!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

mullaj00 wrote: »
    You're never too old auld stock. It's all that running and cycling that you're doing that is screwing up your beer belly!
    Was in the Roisin Dubh a few weeks back. A DJ came on after the crazy rock band. I thought, here we go again, some crap music set. The bloke was outstanding! Mixing all his own stuff and had the place bouncing! I just stood there watching him for 1 1/2 hrs. The energy was unreal!!
    Showry, you should have seen it? Oh no, you were after getting chucked out at that stage!!!

Sham, you've just given me a much better idea for a club - we could clean up :D
    all we need is a hairy girl from Dublin with bad skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

Brilliant Idea

PM sent - let me know if you need any help!

You'd really only get Thur or Sun night as the Friday and Saturday are the mainstream money makers for the nightclubs in Dungarvan.

Both work well as Indie/Alt nights though as you tend to not get too many strays who get annoyed when you won't play 'don't stop believing'

*sigh*

xxxkate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DefenseSoapEire

Well a lot of people will say dance music is dance music but if you are interested in some minimal house and minimal techno you should send me a pm i might be able to sort you out. Minimal is very easy going, hard to explain if you haven't heard it, you should check it out.

Are there many pubs/clubs in Dungarvan you could hold it in?:confused:
    Downeys' seems to be the only place that has the balls to try something different. All the rest just have the mainstream garbage to keep the regulars happy:(
    Good luck on your venture. Definately worth a go. Will keep an eye out here and will drop in when you organise a session.;)

Showry - Wasn't there an article this week about putting a hold on any requests for planning applications on bookies, offies and other places like them S.E.X shops. Sure we wouldn't have a chance of getting a license!:D
    Jaysus, that was some piece of scaffold holding that girl!!:D:D:D

Thanks all for your input.
    I'll weigh up all the ideas and get back when I've put together a plan.
    J

Advertisement