Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Question

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I currently have UPC BB with their digital TV package. I'm thinking of switching my TV completely to Sky therefore UPC will have to disconnect the TV signal coming into my place. Will I still be able to avail of their BB service as I don't fancy changing my provider as I find UPC's BB service very good?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes but it costs extra. I think it's an extra €10 a month if you don't have their tv package.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

It's 6 euro extra for BB on its own. There's a further charge if you don't use direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Im paying 49 Euro a month just for the BB,which I find a bit of a rip off to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

PAU wrote: »
    Im paying 49 Euro a month just for the BB,which I find a bit of a rip off to be honest.
    Im assuming your on the 20mb option a lot of people would kill to pay that for a 20mb line a few people would pay that for a lot less in rural areas where it's unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Im assuming your on the 20mb option a lot of people would kill to pay that for a 20mb line a few people would pay that for a lot less in rural areas where it's unavailable

It depends what you're comparing it to though - I have friends in Greece that pay €9 a month for a 12Mb/s/768Kb/s connection with no cap (and no "fair use" policy either) so €49 is quite steep for what UPC's offering is. Even compared to the UK, the packages available here are not great value.

On the other hand, when comparing it to what is available in Ireland, I agree that UPC does offer one of the best value packages - that's why I have their 20Mb/s product anyway even though pretty much every other provider is available in my area too.

So in the Irish market, UPC is pretty good value but on the European level, we are indeed been ripped-off, like with so many other things...

• Advertisement

Yeah im on the 20mb package,just seems a bit over-priced to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

comared to Eircom UPC is cheap. My 3meg with Eircom cost 40euro a month not including line rental.
    But at least with Eircom your speeds are stable. UPC is up and down like a yo-yo. 20meg to 2 meg to 0meg to 6meg etc etc. And torrents are throttled!! (fact).

How do you mean throttled?

I mean basically slowing down even stopping torrents. To get average speeds got to your utorrent settings and reduce the amount of incoming out going connections. With my 20meg I can still get about 300kbps. Better than nothing. Too many peers connected on a throttled line will make your slow speeds even slower.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PAU wrote: »
    Yeah im on the 20mb package,just seems a bit over-priced to me.

Why are you paying €49?

UPC 20mb is €40 if you get TV also or €46 for BB only.

UPC don't have any €49 package, you might want to double check your bill.

BTW in an Irish context, €46 for 20mb is very cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

I just got my first bill from UPC for 20Mb & TV.

Is the €25 connection fee standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I'm living in Dublin 8 and I have NTL Digital TV; broadband is not available. So I would kill to have a chance to pay for it. In fact, I'd cut off my genitals at this stage to even have some idea of when they might upgrade the network. No hope of that though. I am a few minutes walk from O'Connell Street but I might as well be living deep in Derek Davis' colon.

I'm basically screwed unless I win the lottery which will allow me to move into a more expensive place.

ya 25 euro connection fee is right.

bk wrote: »
    Why are you paying €49?

UPC 20mb is €40 if you get TV also or €46 for BB only.

UPC don't have any €49 package, you might want to double check your bill.

BTW in an Irish context, €46 for 20mb is very cheap.

I just have the BB only buy im not paying through Derect Debit that might be the reason.

Advertisement