Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web App

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I am thinking of developing a web app using the following AJAX, JSP,Servlets,JavaBeans and MYSQL

I want the above web app to be accesable or at least parts of it to be accessable through a mobile device e.g Mobile Phone using a J2ME application what do i need to know in order to connect the web app to the J2ME app e.g. what is WSDL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Why not just do a mobile version of the web app rather than introducing the added complexity of also having a j2me client?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Why not just do a mobile version of the web app rather than introducing the added complexity of also having a j2me client?

Mobile have limited memory and fuctionality so that would limit me i found out that i only use a WSDL file if its a web service like SOAP with my app i can use the J2ME app to interact with the Database

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

cyberwit wrote: »
    Mobile have limited memory and fuctionality so that would limit me i found out that i only use a WSDL file if its a web service like SOAP with my app i can use the J2ME app to interact with the Database

I think what ChRoMe was suggesting is that you simply create a version of your app's regular pages optimised for mobile use. Far easier than writing a J2ME app from scratch. Basically, use the thinnest client you can, which in this case would seem to be a web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

I think what ChRoMe was suggesting is that you simply create a version of your app's regular pages optimised for mobile use. Far easier than writing a J2ME app from scratch. Basically, use the thinnest client you can, which in this case would seem to be a web browser.

That would be the easiests but i plan to use the GWT to so that the the pages on the web system eg the JSP are Ajax and as such they can't be viewed in a wap browser. Plain JSP pages can but not pages AJAX pages as far as i am aware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Thats what I was getting at. You are correct, client side scripting is not possible (well it is, but **** all handsets support it). However with a bit of thought jsp printing out xhtml-mp with some css and some clever forms can accomplish most tasks.

Advertisement