Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registration Cert never came - Help

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I bought a 2nd hand car from a garage, weeks ago, and the reg. cert hadnt come, so I contacted the office and they said that they never received the form and were up to forms for 2 weeks ago. The guy said he'd send out a form to be filled out and return it and they'd be able to send me out the reg. cert.
    So the form arrived and it needs some details and to be signed by the peace comissioner - however it also needs a stamp from a main dealer (VIN number needs to be checked and verified, hence needing a stamp!!)
    So I brought the car to a main dealer (same as my car) and asked them to help me out. Was directed to the service department, explained my situation, and the guys automatically says he has no ramps and that I'd need to book the car in. I was amazed - and asked why? and that the VIN is usually easily checked - he mutter something about it the car needing to be on the ramp, meanwhile a mechanic walks out, so I asked where the VIN number is - mechanic walks over to a car in the showroom and opens a door and shows me a sticker on the door frames.
    So I says to the guy on the desk, there you are, 2 mins of a mechanics time and bingo - he goes off to get a mechanic and arrives back explaining that the car needs to be up on a ramp and it would require me to book a 30 mins slot + VAT cos its a sticker and they need to see where the metal is stamped cos it might be stolen...I says "thats a load of me.....! (didnt actually say bo****) Im sure the vechile registration office will make up their mind on that if i posted in a wrong VIN number, and I walked out
    Now as far as I was concerned, maybe im wrong but the VIN is usually stamped somewhere in the metal under the bonnet + other places - so it takes 40 seconds to find where the VIN is stamped, 10 to write it on the form and 10 to stamp it = 1 minute work, and trying to charge me 30 mins.

Sorry for the long winded story, but had to explain it.....kinda rant :o

Anyways, has anyone had to get this form done before - were they charged?
    Anyone in the trade - is this normal procedure - to charge 30 mins work? Just dont wanna be forking out €€€ if they are trying to catch me with my pants down!!

I would have thought that they'd have done this no questions asked to keep a customer happy, in the hope that they impressed them enough that they might return, seeing that the person was actually driving one of their cars!!

Sorry for the long post - and advise would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bloody hell, I bet all the employees at that garage wear spurs as they sound like a right bunch of cowboys.

Go back to the salesperson you bought the car and demand they sort it out. You are going to have to be firm with them but at the same time don't loose your head.

They are supposed to send off the change of ownership form to the DOE, why should you have to pay for their incompetance. Also if the car is registered from 2001 or 2002 onwards the VIN should be visable down on the bottom right of the windscreen.

Don't be afraid to ask to speak with the general manager either and tell him what a shower of amatures he has working for him.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

Typical ignorance. If you read the form it also states the engine number needs to be filled in, and this my friend is hard cut into the engine block, and not quite so easy to read. Hence ramp, engine splash guards down etc.

Inform yourself a little better before you come crying on a motoring forum next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why didn't you go back to the garage you bought it from? :confused:

They will either come up with the proper paperwork or should be willing to make good by filling in the form at no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ciggs

Sory for the confusion here - I bought the car 2nd hand from a garage, not the main dealer garage I went to, to get the form filled out. The garage I bought the garage from wasnt a main dealer, only an independant garage, with 2nd hand cars
    Why didn't you go back to the garage you bought it from?
    I have to go to a main dealer to get their stamp!!
    Typical ignorance. If you read the form it also states the engine number needs to be filled in, and this my friend is hard cut into the engine block, and not quite so easy to read. Hence ramp, engine splash guards down etc

The form (it doesnt even look like an official gorvernment form, not even on headed paper, more like a photocopy:rolleyes:) only requires the VIN - no mention of an engine number - if that was the case I wouldnt complain about ramp time! Isnt the VIN number stamped in one or two easy to find places?? So its easy for people buying the cars to reference it against the Registration Cert??

captainosull - dont be so quick to shoot people down and called them ignorant, unless you know the full details and know you're in the right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

To the best of my knowledge, the VIN is easy to find and should only take a few minutes to sort out - open to correction though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

What type of vehicle is it? A lot of cars nowadays have the VIN at the bottom of the front windscreen. Some it's stamped in to the floor by the side of the driver's seat - underneath a little cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ciggs wrote: »
    Sory for the confusion here - I bought the car 2nd hand from a garage, not the main dealer garage I went to, to get the form filled out. The garage I bought the garage from wasnt a main dealer, only an independant garage, with 2nd hand cars

I have to go to a main dealer to get their stamp!!

The form (it doesnt even look like an official gorvernment form, not even on headed paper, more like a photocopy:rolleyes:) only requires the VIN - no mention of an engine number - if that was the case I wouldnt complain about ramp time! Isnt the VIN number stamped in one or two easy to find places?? So its easy for people buying the cars to reference it against the Registration Cert??

captainosull - dont be so quick to shoot people down and called them ignorant, unless you know the full details and know you're in the right!!

You should be getting the garage you bought the car from to sort this out.

Advertisement