Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dads Dogs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Can't he see what he's doing is wrong? I hope he is reported, those poor dogs need to be seized. A lot of SPCA's are useless and won't help dogs but hopefully wherever those dogs are the SPCA will help them if he is reported.

Isn't there anything you can do for them? Would he allow you to put up a fenced area for them? take them for walks? buy them some beds and proper food?

Can they go outside at all or are they locked inside of the shed all day except for when he lets them out?

I cannot believe such cruelty to animals is fine in the eyes of the law, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Understand your situation but fact is most dogs are not kept this way and not all farm dogs are kept this way either.

The law is not great as long as they have food water and shelter he's not doing anything wrong but really these dogs are bored silly and probably love to see your dad coming up to them now and then.

Are they in general in good health, do they get yearly vaccinations, regular worming etc.

Sound a bit bad but perhaps you could talk to your local SPCA and perhaps have someone you know ask if they could have (or even buy for a tiny sum) the dogs because they had been looking for exactly those kind of dogs for their farm..some sort of tale.

If you know you can make sure the dogs aren't replaced of course.

It would be different if the dogs were out running around and had company for half the day or were working on the farm or if they were his only company and they were his companions at home but they aren't.

It would be great if you could do this think of the life the poor dogs are having at the moment it's no life for any dog especially a farm dog they need to be out and about.

All else fails perhaps you could invest in a dog run rather than a chain you can get dog runs for any size so they could run around their area instead of being chained up. They could strangle themselves or get caught on something, although many dogs on chains can manage the chain sometimes they can get into knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

OP, fair play to you for trying to change things which, for the time being, cannot be changed. Especially hard since it involves such a close family member. let me just say that your dad's dogs are a heck of alot better off than alot of farm dogs around here. At least they have human contact twice a day, are allowed to run lose and are being fed (as to the remark about properly feeding them: specific dogfood is a relative *new* invention and millions of dogs before the dawn of *pedigree and Co.* became old on table scraps - what do you think is in most manufactured food??).

Of course it is not right BUT even if he were to be reported, the dogs would not be seized from him. The Animal Welfare Law in Ireland is outdated and needs to be brought into the 21st century.

Instead of lambasting the old guy, you should calmly sit him down and explain that things have changed and that he maybe should consider converting some of the shed into a run for the dogs instead of keeping them chained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

If you are honestly concerned for the welfare of the dogs, you might consider talking them for a walk some time.

Leashes can be tricky to handle and if you were to accidentally lose your grip and the dogs ran away, some kind stranger might take them in.

You could probably advertise in shops or ad newspapers for people who like dogs and might be willing to accompany you on your walk, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Top Dog wrote: »
    As for what the person who left the note can do - they can report your father for cruelty to animals which could result in investigators calling to check out the conditions in which the dogs are kept, and if they agree that its cruelty then they have every right to take the animals and also have your father up in court.
    If the conditions are severe enough the dogs will be taken away and your father put on charges for cruelty to animals ... although it doesnt sound like it.
    yes if the spca see they are not looked after proberly they can have the dog or crueliy officer remove them and prosacute.
    Unfortunately, the conditions in which the animal is housed have to be so bad that they are causing the animal to physically suffer. The condition of the housing in itself, even if very bad, does not fall under any legal breach in Ireland. Again, it's the physical condition of the animal.

Legally, cruelty is defined as 'unnecessary suffering'. It is for a vet to decide if this is the case, before any prosecution can be pursued.

Protection of Animals Act 1911
    1. Offences of cruelty. — (1) If any person—
    (a)shall cruelly beat, kick, ill-treat, over-ride, over-drive, over-load, torture, infuriate, or terrify any animal, or shall cause or procure, or, being the owner, permit any animal to be so used, or shall, by wantonly or unreasonably doing or omitting to do any act, or causing or procuring the commission or omission of any act, cause any unnecessary suffering, or, being the owner, permit any unnecessary suffering to be so caused to any animal.

Also, the investigators, unless they are Gardai, have no right to take the animals.

Protection of Animals Act 1911
    11(2) If any veterinary surgeon summoned under this section certifies that the injured animal can without cruelty be removed, it shall be the duty of the person in charge of the animal to cause it forthwith to be removed with as little suffering as possible, and, if that person fail so to do, the police constable may, without the consent of that person, cause the animal forthwith to be so removed.

luckat wrote: »
    The guard's personal opinion on whether it's animal cruelty or not isn't going to help if anyone brings a prosecution against your father.
    It's the Gardai that actually bring the prosecutions.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    A farmer I know of used to keep his dogs locked in a shed all the time. Another idiot I know of used to keep a dog in a pitch black shed. SPCA wouldn't do anything in either situation.
    kerrysgold wrote: »
    Can't he see what he's doing is wrong? I hope he is reported, those poor dogs need to be seized. A lot of SPCA's are useless and won't help dogs but hopefully wherever those dogs are the SPCA will help them if he is reported.
    A lot of SPCA's are just as frustrated about not being able to intervene, because of the legal situation.

EGAR wrote: »
    OP, fair play to you for trying to change things which, for the time being, cannot be changed. Especially hard since it involves such a close family member. let me just say that your dad's dogs are a heck of alot better off than alot of farm dogs around here. At least they have human contact twice a day, are allowed to run lose and are being fed (as to the remark about properly feeding them: specific dogfood is a relative *new* invention and millions of dogs before the dawn of *pedigree and Co.* became old on table scraps - what do you think is in most manufactured food??).

Of course it is not right BUT even if he were to be reported, the dogs would not be seized from him. The Animal Welfare Law in Ireland is outdated and needs to be brought into the 21st century.

Instead of lambasting the old guy, you should calmly sit him down and explain that things have changed and that he maybe should consider converting some of the shed into a run for the dogs instead of keeping them chained.
    The most sensible post on this matter. Good suggestion for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Antilles wrote: »
    If you are honestly concerned for the welfare of the dogs, you might consider talking them for a walk some time.

Leashes can be tricky to handle and if you were to accidentally lose your grip and the dogs ran away, some kind stranger might take them in.

You could probably advertise in shops or ad newspapers for people who like dogs and might be willing to accompany you on your walk, as well.

This board has gone from advising people to take someone else's cat & have them neutered to now advising someone to take their fathers dogs and give them away while out walking them. :mad:

Can you people not see the difficult situation this person is in?
    Trying to change the ways and attitude of an older family member without offending them is difficult to do.
    Suggestions such as buying bedding, converting part of the shed to a run etc, are far more helpful than ones to steal the dogs and give them away.

Seriously people, this is a delicate situation, practical solutions are far more useful than the illegal ones being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Calm down there spurscormac. As far as I can see it ONE person on this thread suggested he take the dogs the lose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I have to agree that while your dad isn't doing anything illegal, he's still not doing the right thing by the dogs. Do you live close to your dad? If so you should order some vet bedding (you can order from http://www.ccpdogs.ie/product_info.php?cPath=39_82&products_id=615909&osCsid=97a95c8ddfceeba3b5dd4c78324c16aa , I would recommend that you take it out and wash it in the washing machine once a week). Maybe order two kong toys that you can stuff treats into to keep them entertained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

i live 40+ miles from home. Not much chance i can get there regularly.
    The dogs are now off the chains and in a house each.
    They're reltively well fed and out 2x a day. I dont each any packaged food so i dont see why they should. Table scraps from our table is still the best of organic food.

Im not going to lose the dogs accidentally on purpose, and really there's not much more i can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

that's progress at least!

when you say in a house each, can they interact? if they don't fight, I think it would be best to let the two dogs mix with each other, at least that way they are company for each other. Imagine sitting in a room all day on your own, wouldn't it be more bearable if you had somebody to "talk" to?

I think maybe suggest putting them both in the same shed and building a run off it so they can come in to the shed and go outside when they want.

Building a run isn't expensive, all you need is a few fence posts (about €4 each) some chain link (a large roll is less than €90) and a gate (a fence panel works fine, about €20) and some hinges and a bolt.

Have they got bedding or are they still sleeping on concrete? Sleeping on concrete can cause really sore wounds, which may not be noticeable if the dogs are furry. A dog can look perfect but if you part the fur and look at their skin, they may be covered in sores. Any sort of bedding would be fine as long as it's dry, even a few old blankets, an old duvet etc.

Are they wormed & vaccinated? If they aren't wormed, they will be getting very little goodness from the food. If they are ribby but have a pot belly that's a giveaway. Worming tablets are inexpensive, a good brand is "Drontal Plus" and is €3 per tablet which a dog should be given every 6 months.

It's great that you've made some progress with him, congrats, but there is still a lot he needs to do to make their lives better. How old are the dogs anyway?

• Advertisement
Advertisement