Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic Gates

• 24-09-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We have a contractor building our house at the moment but he has not put up any temporary fence or gate at the front of the site.
    Saturday night, some horses got into the the site and made a lovely mess all over the garden and on our garage floor foundations.
    Got me thinking about gates, and when we move in we will need electronic gates,
    Was just wondering what should i expect to pay for normal iron electronic gates? ie supply and fit
    Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

made my own gates, steel cost ~ €300
    scrolls, arrows etc...~€120
    hot dipping ~€150
    motors ~€1000

electrian spent about a day installing

be careful when constructing piers and think about how gate is going to connect to piers.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

could be early days installing the finished gates, some site deliveries are aqward and may require removal of the piers again if for example a concrete lorry cant get straight in the gate, or lowloaders, teleporters etc.
    I'd say your better putting up some temp fencing for the time being

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Whatever you decide make sure you get cable put in to the gate from your house. Will not cost too much unless your drive is a mile long :D. Ask your electrian about this as you will also need cable installed for your intercom at gate and inside house, and from one pillar to the other (electrics and sensors). Much easier to do when building the house rather than after. I got a frame made by local guy and put large timber (larch) slats ("6x"2) in the main body, really looks the part and cheeper than metalwork.
    I had put in cables etc so I could do gates at a later date when funds were back up. Glad I did as nackers started poking around soon after we moved in as they could drive right in. Put gates in and have not seen them since (2 yrs later) :D.
    Think the whole thing cost about €1500, better than any dogs or cameras.

P.S. A sliding gate (like I have) is much better, security wise than swinging gates. A friend of mine has swinging gate and robbers just pushed them open with their car when he was broken into (Breaking the motors). A propper sliding gate should have a groove on the opp pillar to avoid being pushed open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

In terms of security these boys are the business, bear in mind though a wooden/pvc fence will be no good, you will need either a wall or a trench leading out from the main pillars.....

http://www.cameuk.com/urbacomain/range/autohighsecuritybollards.html

P.

Note to snipmeister.... The above is meant to be informational in terms of this discussion so hopefully you can leave this one in place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Timber is fine if frame is in metal and timber is big enough.

• Advertisement

make sure if the motor is going to be in the ground, that there is proper drainage in place, we have to completely replace the motor as the eejits who put it in never installed any sort of drainage and so the motor was sitting in a pool of water and burnt out. costing a fair few quid to fix....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

thanks for all the information lads,
    we have already had the knackers out for a visit
    Must get the builder to put up a temporary gate and fence at site entrance incase they come back,
    Wont be looking at the proper gates until the house is ready

Advertisement