Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honors to pass maths big gap?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

im finally giving in a dropping to pass maths.just couldnt keep spending that much time on one subject and still only barely pass it.
    basically is there much difference in the pass course like will i still need grinds in it and is there any extra bits i wont have covered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

If your dropping from honors to pass maths, there is no chance that youll need grinds! You'll find it so easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

simpson's rule is the only new thing not in JC HL or LC HL. If you were basically competent at HL, OL should be a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

efb wrote: »
    simpson's rule is the only new thing not in JC HL or LC HL. If you were basically competent at HL, OL should be a doddle.

And that's in the maths tables!

Pass Maths is really easy. It's pretty much the same as JC honours maths with some bits added in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jay P wrote: »

Pass Maths is really easy. It's pretty much the same as JC honours maths with some bits added in.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've heard we have to learn Simpson's rule at some point in HL maths for some topic.

My friends in pass maths were raging as when we'd be snobbing it up and slagging them for doing pass they'd just be like "yeah but I bet you don't know what Simpson's rule is!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Piste wrote: »
    I've heard we have to learn Simpson's rule at some point in HL maths for some topic.

My friends in pass maths were raging as when we'd be snobbing it up and slagging them for doing pass they'd just be like "yeah but I bet you don't know what Simpson's rule is!"

You don't need Simpson's Rule for anything on the HL course. (That's not to say your teacher won't do it anyway, for the good of your immortal souls...)

And anyway, the proper way to deal with those people you refer to would be to have gone and learnt this simple thing in 10 minutes on your own, and hence be ready to respond: "Ok, how much?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I dropped from Honors to Pass maths after my pre, which would've been around ten or eleven weeks before the LC. I spent those weeks having a "Who can clap the loudest?" competition with a friend at the back of the class, because both of us were bored stiff of such easy work. The difference in ability required in Honors as opposed to Pass is phenominal.

I don't mean to offend anyone struggling with pass maths (I know it's still a real challenge for considerable numbers of students) it's just that, for me, spending so long struggling at honors had set me up very well for the pass paper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I dropped from Hons to pass around this time too, having gotten 40% in my summer exams. I studied in total for about 4 hours for the leaving cert (2hrs for Mocks, 2 more for the real thing) and didn't do homework. Got an A1 in the LC.

In short, the gap is massive. You can kiss grinds goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

eep dropped today and were doing something i did last year and i got none of the sums right.ah im even worse in pass.im the exception to the rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A girl in my year dropped to pass the other day but came back to honours today cos she was too bored in pass.

• Advertisement

im dong horribally
    hopefully it ends up a lot easier.
    god knows i need more time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I dropped from higher maths mid way through 5th year.

Most parts of ordinary level are easy (trigonometry is one of my favourite parts of maths and I liked it at higher but it's just so boring at ordinary).

However, probability is tough enough imho, as is calculus.

were doing differentiatin but id covered it on the honors course last year but now i cant seem to fctorise correctly anymore.like im doing it arseways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

were doing differentiatin but id covered it on the honors course last year but now i cant seem to fctorise correctly anymore.like im doing it arseways
    Just read over the chapter, look at the examples etc. You'll be grand. Don't stress.

I wish I wasn't doing ordinary maths and could do a different subject at higher level, anyone else feel the same way? I just feel ordinary level is a waste of my time. It's just JC all over again and stuff I (personally) will never need again. C'est dingue!

Advertisement