Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age should you start using Anti Aging creams at???

Options
  • 24-09-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi!
    ok, (Hope im not in wrong forum! wasnt sure wehther to post here or fashion n app!!)
    reason im curious bout this is up until yesterday i hadnt given the thought of using an anti aging cream a thought, I'm 24, thought i could get away for another few years!! but a friend was going on about her skincare routine n to be honest freaked me out a bit!!
    Im quite lucky, never really had problems with my skin, odd spot now n again. my skincare routine involves basically moisturing in the mornin (oil of ulay, spf 15), face wipe n more of same moisturiser in the evening.
    But since conversation with above friend i've become more aware of frown lines, (there not obvious or bad) but it just hit me there probably going to get worse!!
    Just want to find out, what age should u start using anti aging creams at? what ones do you recommend? And any advise to improve on or opinions on current routine?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

mid 20s I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You must be joking. A very good moisturiser is plenty from your mid 20s.

Anti-ageing creams (marketing scam methinks) are for women in the second half of their 30s at least...

I use ROC which I find superb. It even reduces any fine lines I have on my forehead... god, I sound like one of the ads :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Im 24 and I use anti-ageing cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

+1 on getting a decent moisturiser. It's the key to good skin! All this anti-wrinkle stuff...there's no real proof all that stuff will prevent wrinkles. The best you can do is keep the skin moisturised and that in itself will do wonders. I would suggest getting one with an SPF though, very important for protecting the skin.

When you get older you could buy one of those anti-wrinkle creams, if it makes you feel better about yourself. If you have dry skin, I find the Vichy range excellent.

Oh and drink plenty of water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Good diet, plenty of water, don't smoke, get enough sleep, don't constantly wear makeup ( take it off then you get home), don't bake yourself in the sun, ie minding your skin and a good plain moisterisure is really all you need until you hit menapause.

A "friend" bought me some anti aging cream when I turned 30, it's still sitting on a shelf unopened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Anti aging cream = marketing ploy.
    Thaeds advice is the only thing that will help.
    At the end of the day, you are going to age and get older. Learn to deal with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well gentics play a part too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Good diet, plenty of water, don't smoke, get enough sleep, don't constantly wear makeup ( take it off then you get home), don't bake yourself in the sun, ie minding your skin and a good plain moisterisure is really all you need until you hit menapause.
    Plus regular exercise to promote circulation, keep the booze within limits, and no recreational drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Nobody needs to invest in an anti-ageing cream at 24.

At 24 what you should be doing is being religious about SPF 15, which you're already using, so you're pretty much doing all you need to. Oil of Olay is one of the most reliable products out there anyway, so you don't even need to change that.

My skin got a bit drier at 30, and I got dark circles for the first time ever, so I had to switch to a creamier moisteriser rather than lotion. And I started using night cream for the very first time. That sorted it.

Now that I'm in my mid-thirties and starting to see fine lines, I'm switching from a normal night cream to an anti-ageing one, but my day cream is still the boring old Nivea Q10 one.

Your friend is a bit paranoid and is also a bit of a beauty nerd who loves her skincare products. Let her off - I doubt she'll age any slower than you if you keep up the SPF and don't smoke, keep drinking plenty of water and eating healthily and not too sparsely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I always assumed people started using them in their late 40s.

• Advertisement

trio wrote: »
    Now that I'm in my mid-thirties and starting to see fine lines, I'm switching from a normal night cream to an anti-ageing one, but my day cream is still the boring old Nivea Q10 one.

nivea Q10 is an anti ageing cream, but can be used by all ages it's a great moisturiser and I would definitely recommend, cheap as chips too. Actually the Aldi Q10 one came out on top of loads of polls recently and it's only 2.99!

good advice is whatever cream you choose, moisturise from the neck up, don't drag the skin down. And ditto on the spf 15, either buy a foundation or moisturiser with one in it, or simply apply it to your face every day, i personally think it's better to apply the actual sun cream as you can choose one with a 5 star UVA rating which is the highest anti ageing you can get - the SPF is for the burning rays, the UVA rating for the ageing rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

anti ageing = any product with sun block in it

Show on channel 4 before specifically about this topic.

The sun is the biggest cause of ageing skin and all you need to slow that is sun block. Any product with sun block can be called anti ageing.

As for "pentapeptides" e.t.c. you have to love marketing, the pseudo science is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Vegeta wrote: »
    As for "pentapeptides" e.t.c. you have to love marketing, the pseudo science is hilarious.

*grins* I know what you mean, half the time these products are just the same old moistuiriser/sun block combo with some new neutral weird named compound that doesn't actually do a tape.

It's like when they started adding creatine to face cream claiming it would improve the level of moisture in your skin. Hate to break it to them but ATP is stored in muscles in conjunction with water, no ****ing skin cells.

peanuthead wrote: »
    Im 24 and I use anti-ageing cream.
    Nuts! Moisturiser is moisturiser anyway - just because "anti-ageing" is printed on the tube doesn't make a difference. Companies often up the price considerably once these words are added to the packaging.
    Alicat wrote: »
    I would suggest getting one with an SPF though, very important for protecting the skin.
    Actually one of the best skincare products you could use as an every day moisturiser is sunscreen.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well gentics play a part too :)
    Yeah, my mum has amazing skin and I'm very lucky to have inherited it. I do find though that girls who have a lot of crow's feet etc at a young age (e.g. early 20s) tend to be sun worshippers.
    trio wrote: »
    My skin got a bit drier at 30, and I got dark circles for the first time ever, so I had to switch to a creamier moisteriser rather than lotion.
    Yeah I've been using ROC rehydrating cream for a good while now - it's quite thick but not too much so, and it's far more moisturising than one of those runny lotions.
    And I started using night cream for the very first time.
    What's night cream though? Is it not just another moisturiser? (Not being smart but I'm cynical about the cosmetics industry and assume "night cream" is another marketing ploy like "anti-ageing cream").
    Vegeta wrote: »
    anti ageing = any product with sun block in it

Show on channel 4 before specifically about this topic.

The sun is the biggest cause of ageing skin and all you need to slow that is sun block. Any product with sun block can be called anti ageing.

Great post :)
    I know - it's such laughable bollocks. LOL at girls who're all bothered about getting wrinkles and who spend a fortune on anti-ageing creams - yet use sunbeds and bake the sh1t out of themselves on a couple of sun holidays a year...
    Pale, soft, smooth skin ftw...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

what about lines around the eyes?

im 24 & ive noticed im getting these in the last couple of years - not massively noticeable to the world, just to me. id be hiiiiiiighly reluctant to spend money on eye creams cause theyre always really expensive & any reviews ive read of them have pretty much said they made little or no difference.

other than normal face moisturising.. do you do anything special for your eyes?

I just use dabs of ROC (I'm not working in sales for ROC - I swear!) around the eye area. 30 and no crow's feet yet. Admittedly that's also due to genetics and never going out in the sun.

This is the one I use by the way: simg_t_t195743roc_hydranourishingcream_rfjpg110?rm_____DokOnCdU3

I also use Simple on the "lower-risk" areas - nice consistency (thick enough without being heavy) and a very reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What age? I vote never

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I started using anti-aging cream when I was 16. Not that I was worried about wrinkles you see, but I was out of moisturieser and borrowed my mum's boots one and wow it was so lovely! It practically melts into your skin, has a lovely smell and moisturises without being greasy. I wear it because it's a great moisturiser, not for any possible anti-aging powers it might posess.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not going anywhere near an anti-aging cream for a very long time. I actually don't bother with any moisturiser. I'm 24.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I occasionally use a serum that is branded as anti aging, more so due to the fact that it helps soothe eczema/very dry skin and it has a 15 SPF than anything else.

Other than that I just use moisturizer, morning and night, I also wear sunscreen other than the serum 365 days a year.

I'm 35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

sar84 wrote: »

im 24 & ive noticed im getting these in the last couple of years - not massively noticeable to the world, just to me. id be hiiiiiiighly reluctant to spend money on eye creams cause theyre always really expensive & any reviews ive read of them have pretty much said they made little or no difference.

Yes i have that too. I went for a facial a few months ago & the girl told me i had dry skin around my eyes- i have a good few eye creams i got free from lancome etc. but usually too lazy to use them.:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sar84 wrote: »

DUH, didn't see this, I do use a cream around my eyes as I have quite dry skin and am prone to eczema on my eyes which looks utterly dreadful.

You need to be careful with eye cream and make sure you apply it right, it shouldn't be applied on the skin inside the bones which shape your eyes, if you are getting an eye cream then you should ask the counter people to advise on how to apply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cherryice

Hey guys, Thanks for all the replys :) Think Im going to stick with my olay for another while afterall. i might invest in some roc though for round the eyes. Dudess - I know you said you dont work in there sales, but maybe you should think about it!!

One more question... whats serum for? is it just like a stronger moisturiser? i always thought (and this is putting it really badly!) that it was like polyfiller for lines to wear under foundation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Genetics really do play a huge part. I've had wrinkles in some places since I've been a teenager. You can't set an exact age for something like this, it's down to how your own skin looks.

Cherryice wrote: »

One more question... whats serum for?

For me, the one I use is a very liquid and almost oily (but very light) moisturiser to deal with dry skin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

cant see myself ever using them dont think they work that much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

anti-what-ing cream?!

personally, i'm 20, and the most i use is suncream lotion twice daily (im living in nz... it's barely spring and it's 20-25 degrees daily at this point, and my work is mostly outdoors).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Im in my thirties and used to spend a bloody fortune on creams.

Not anymore, my grandmother had amazing skin and all she used was oil of ulay beauty fluid and washed her face with soap and water.

For a treat she would use the white of an egg as a mask - it goes rock hard and your face feels amazing after it.

Think I will take a leaf out of her book!! At 80, she could have easily passed for late 60's....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

The night cream I started using because I woke up with dry skin and dark circles, and somebody told me that dark circles are basically dehydration unless they're genetic (which in my case they weren't).

So I bought a night cream as you wake up with nice soft plump comfortable skin and no dark circles.

I use the Aldi Q10 one at night - yep, it is indeedy lovely stuff. .

I used to use eye creams but to be honest I found they were highly variable and a bit of a money pit. Many don't really do anything. The only one I'd actually buy again was the Clinique All About Eyes Rich, which, worn overnight, make me look fresh as a daisy. (Not to be confused with the original All About Eyes, which is a bit crap.) But it's still only a basic moisteriser, and I couldn't be bothered spending the money. Now I just use night cream on my eyes instead.

Incidentally, if you start to get those little white dots around you're eyes, it means your moisteriser is too heavy and you need to switch to a lighter one.

Piste, be careful that no cream that you borrow off your mum has any type of retinol in it. The reason being that it makes your skin highly sensitive to the sun, and unless you use serious sunscreen during the day, you could end up causing hidden damage that'll come back to haunt you in 10 years time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

It's a shame that so many baby boys have to lose their foreskins due to the vanity of women.

Advertisement