Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change

Options
  • 25-09-2008 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi Folks,

OK so the story is, I am 28 working in IT for last 5 years or so and hell bent on getting out of the industry. I have a Science degree and grad diploma in IT. What I wanna know is, how have people gone about kicking of a career change ? Any advice welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Basically just finding something that you are interested in and you feel offers a good career path. After that, go for it as now is a good time for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 davty10

Are you speaking from experience smashey?

Sort of. ;)

smashey wrote: »
    Sort of. ;)
    Care to elaborate ? I have an area in mind that I think I could tolerate working in for the rest of my days but would like to speak with someone who has "up'd sticks and moved on". Did you go back to college? How tough was it to get a start in the new industry? etc..

I went back to college (full time) aged 37 and got a diploma in architectural technology. To me it was something I wanted to do and many jobs I had over the years were in some way connected to architecture. As for starting in the industry, I supported myself through college by doing planning applications and when I had to go on placement in second year, the company I went to asked me to stay on after I graduated. After a bit of haggling over money, we found some common ground. :D

Leaving the comfort of regular income wasn't easy but it was something I had to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

I feel the same way, just worried about the whole financial aspect.Not to mention theres two things I feel like doing with myself...dunnoe which tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Do you have experience in java programming? If so I may have an opportunity that would be of interest to you in UL in a PhD focused on developing a Virtual Chemistry Laboratory for Irish Post-Primary Schools (VCLIPPS).

What do you think?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fission

Above from Bemused sounds interesting in my opinion.
    I went back to do a post grad this September - After working 5 years.

Bit of a shock to the system, but haven't regretted it for a second.
    Not having to set an alarm clock is great....

ye, gonna go back and do a masters I think...how was it re-adjusting to study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FizzyBubbly

Hi

What area are you thinking of re-training in? Is it dramatically different from IT?

• Advertisement
Advertisement