Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ 64GB SSD any good?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

These look good on spec sheets and all. has anyone used them?

The hard drive in my desktop pc went bad. and so did another one recently so when i get replacements sent to me i might sell them and buy a SSD. i'm sh|t sick of hard drives dieing i'm lucky nothing of value was lost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've built a new PC with a 32GB OCZ SSD. I'm just waiting on the PSU which I hope will arrive this week. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There is a thread about the SSD's in the Tweaking and modding forum. Might be some info there that is of some use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ah SSD drives are the biz...it's great to be able to use all apps within 30-40 secs of booting (damn u gigabyte bioses).
    Definitely recommend them.
    But one question...why are your hard drives dying..in about 10 years I've never had a hard drive die on me..but then again I normally upgrade them every 2-3 years so no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bootup time is noticeably faster than a hard drive but the biggest difference is using windows itself. It's soo much faster and more fluid. Everything opens immediately with no sign of the dreaded egg timer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

These guys are really getting my attention of late.. Im seriously thinking about getting one..

I'm assuming they're only for the OS install and regularly used apps and files etc. A larger HD is used then to store all media etc.. Do you put your games on SSD or does it make any odds?

More importantly are you guys modding the OS (XP) like putting temp folders and page file on a hdd etc?? I read somewhere that somebody did this but why would you do it with the page file??

Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

These drives have a limited number of writes they can perform before they stop working. The page file would write a lot to the hard drive so it would decrease the life span.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

These drives have a limited number of writes they can perform before they stop working. The page file would write a lot to the hard drive so it would decrease the life span.

Assuming you have a page file. Considering the random write latency I would recommend maxing out the ram and losing the page file to truly use that particular SSD drive effectively. It's quite good though, I'm typing this up on my work laptop with a 64gig drive in it and its noticeably faster on boot and program access then the exact same model and image beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

yea i was thinking of getting some other SSD now. a SLC one even if its only a 32gb or something. i need something reliable. all the OCZ ones are MLC I think

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

towel401 wrote: »
    yea i was thinking of getting some other SSD now. a SLC one even if its only a 32gb or something. i need something reliable. all the OCZ ones are MLC I think
    I seen a review of the new intel ones and they are meant to be great. Damn fúcking expensive though. I think it'll be $500 for an 80GB version or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Would using the OS be noticibly faster than on a 10k rpm velociraptor???

These things sound very interesting:) , Small one for just the OS might be cool...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I have a 128GB OCZ SSD core V1 and I'm very happy with it. boot times are very fast and applications do open noticably faster. It's hard to quantify though, you really just have to use one. The biggest aspect that has changed for me is the lack of an egg timer when I see the desktop, pretty much as soon as I see the desktop wallpaper I can start using application. Plus they are silent, compact and don't generate a lot of heat.

With mine I disabled the page file and some other HDD bashing services (i.e. superfetch, defrag, system restore, offline files, indexing... etc) Although, even with 4GB of RAM some application still complain about not having a pagefile, plus Crysis uses enough RAM to make Vista throw up a "Low Memory" warning which crashes the game.

So I've moved the pagefile to another drive now and set it really low (i.e. 200MB) to stop applications and Vista complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I understand that. BUT. Shouldn't the wear levelling doodah distribute the page writes accross the whole array? Also, if you have plenty of memory and a small swap file, how much of a problem can it be? And if that is the case, why put the most performance sensitive files onto a slower mechanical disk? Surely that contradicts the idea of installing one for speed?

That's the problem with SSD drives. The manufactures are keeping mum about what effect the page file access has on their lifetime.
    Anyhoo they're fantastic...OCZ has a 250Gb for €699...very tempting..

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=369988

Battlefield's a blast with these...10 seconds of changing a map and I'm in at least 15 secs than anyone else :)
    And it's nice to see your desktop, click and work away straight away.

Samsung are also bringing out a 3.5inch 250GB in the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Battlefield's a blast with these...10 seconds of changing a map and I'm in at least 15 secs than anyone else :)

And then you gotta wait for the game to start for another 15seconds:D:D

Nice load times, bf2 is dirt slow isnt it, well not for u now , Looks like these things could replace high performance hard drives like the velociraptor 10k rpm and such?? Typical...after i go and get one lol

Ah no..by the time everyone else gets in I'm halfway down the map capturing the flag :)

Was on Karkland one day and ran down to suburbs wondering where the hell was everyone?
    Had 1/2 captured the flag when I could see the everyone else spawning then on the map :D
    Our team easily won that game ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Not sure about you guys, it looks good but when you think about it i think you be better off raiding 2x1,000gig drivers for cheaper faster and lots more space.

Like http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343055 well thats my 2cents.
    I have 3xSamsung SpinPoint F1 1TB my self and on their own they are fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I would never RAID 2 1TB drives.
    Not in Raid 0 anyway!

Maybe in the future when there is a 2/4TB drive to back them up
    I might consider it but by then SSD's will be affordable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Not sure about you guys, it looks good but when you think about it i think you be better off raiding 2x1,000gig drivers for cheaper faster and lots more space.

Like http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343055 well thats my 2cents.
    I have 3xSamsung SpinPoint F1 1TB my self and on their own they are fast.

I have three 750gig spinpoints, four 74gig 10k raptors, used to have a perc-5i with four 146gig 15k SAS drives and four 320gig 10k SAS drives. In a variety of Raid combinations with a few different onboard chips and raid cards the only thing that comes close to responsiveness I want in a OS is the SSD. The only annoying thing is the random writes, so I'm going to be getting a Intel drive when I have the money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Glad I read this thread. * takes SSD off the shopping list for the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i ended up getting a 64gb samsung. SLC ssd, only sata-1 but i'm not too bothered. it hasn't arrived yet

i wouldn't chance my arm on this dodgy MLC stuff and jmicron controllers...

• Advertisement
Advertisement