Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

THEORY TEST IN FEW DAYS

Options
  • 25-09-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

so my theory is coming up, i would have studied a lot more for it , however, college intervened with early presentations, books to get, etc etc etc.. ive covered about 130 of the green pages and my test is on saturday..

any qs to watch out for?
    what, in your opinion, is the hardest section?

please help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I did my thoery test a month ago.. there is a site online that gives you the chance to do 5 sample questions from the theory test... it stops after 5 and gives you your result and the correct answers. Once i completed this I dumped my cookies, disconnected and reconnected and did another 5 questions... I did this over and over and over and the questions rarely repeated themselves. Typical now that I cant find the site but I am sure someone here can point ya in the right direction.

90% of the questions are common sense.. but 2 things i noticed...
    1. some questions seemed rather ambiguous.. by this I mean.. on a least 2 of the questions I thought all the options were correct
    2. I was asked tractor questions (2) which I had to guess at.

Hope this helps and if i find that site I'll post it here. there are a few different ones online but it was the one that only gave you 5 questions at a time.

P.s .. I got 36 outta 40

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

just went through my leaving, did well, and i dont know why this makes me nervous! is there any questions you are guaranteed?
    also, i know you have a good bit of time to complete but in general, how long do people take?
    i was always thought never to leave an exam early, however i also know i should go with my first instinct so im a little confused on this...

I had 40 questions done in 26 minutes and then went through them all again and was still done in under the 40 minutes you get.
    Most of the questions you will know without thinking if you know anything about roads etc. Others you have to think a little about but again they are common sense. Others are so easy you will wonder how anyone could get them wrong.

a lot of the questions have 3 stupid answers and only one that is sensible.. some were so stupid it reminded me of the daft phone-in questions where the answer is wayyy to abvious.

I was kinda nervous doing mine but only because everyone else there that day was young enough to be my son or daughter..lol. I think some of them thought I was in the wrong place.:)

I got one question on tractors.. something about a power box or something.. was a mystery to me.

One question kinda puzzled me and I read it over and over... when coming to the brow of the pictured hill you should slow down because..
    a. there could be a pedestrian crossing ahead
    b. there could be a bus stop ahead
    c. there could be a breakdown ahead
    d. there could be road works ahead
    (not eaxctly sure if this is the exact wording)

I thought.. hmmm could be any/all of them but no option to click all.. could only select one. I clicked one and hoped for the best.

Thing is I wouldnt worry about it.. you can always sit it again.. dont tell the world you are going for it and then the pressure will be off you in that respect.

Keep us posted though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd recommend reading through them all.

I got 39 out of 40 in mine. Found the one I got wrong to be tricky. I don't remember the exact options but it was similar to:

If you park your motorbike on an unlit street overnight which lights do you leave on?
    a. Full headlights
    b. parking lights
    c. no lights
    d. side lights
    e. fog lights

I chose c. no lights as surely your motorbike battery would be dead as a dodo if you left your lights on all night?? but no, it was parking lights or sidelights, I can't really remember the options sorry, just dont put down no lights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

The test is pretty much common sense, take your time, flag any question your not sure of and come back to it (helped me get about 5 questions right) and you'll be fine. Get the cd, do a few sample tests and then on the way in read the book and you should be grand. Sorted

• Advertisement

passed it today, got 35 was pretty happy considering the guy right before me failed, which isnt too great as they say it infront of everyone (not great practice ) also was not allowed bring bottle of water in! i hardly had cheat notes!

I got a form from police station today (or garda station-my friends always pull me up on this!) to apply for learner permit. Booked my eye test for tomorrow..
    Correct me if I am wrong but .. tomorrow i get the optician to sign form to say i did the test, i then get 2 photos and finish the application form, hand it into the police station tomorrow evening and then they tell me to go collect my provisional licence ??? is this the right procedure? because the garda today said i get a "pink slip" before i get my provisional licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

irish1967 wrote: »
    some were so stupid it reminded me of the daft phone-in questions where the answer is wayyy to abvious
    Telephone quizes are usually very easy to attempt to get as many as possible to enter. The money is made on the cost of the call/text, therefore, it is in their interest to make it easy.

irish1967 wrote:
    ]I got one question on tractors.. something about a power box or something.. was a mystery to me.
    It was probably a safety related question in relation the the Power take Off - usually referred to as the PTO.

It is a splined driveshaft at the rear of tractors which is used to provide power, from the tractor's engine, to drive attached machinery such as mowers, balers, rotovators, sprayers etc. Many large modern tractors also have an additional front PTO to enable the operation of additional front loaded machines for single pass operations.

PTOs can be very dangerous especially to any person beside it who may be wearing a long coat, scarf, neck tie. If clothing touches a spinning part it can drag the person around resulting in death or serious injury.

PTO

PTO.jpg

Rear PTO

RearPTO.jpg

Front PTO

FrontPTO.jpg

PTO driveshaft with obligatory yellow plastic guard.

PTOGuardedShaft.jpg

irish1967 wrote:
    One question kinda puzzled me and I read it over and over... when coming to the brow of the pictured hill you should slow down because..
    a. there could be a pedestrian crossing ahead
    b. there could be a bus stop ahead
    c. there could be a breakdown ahead
    d. there could be road works ahead
    (not eaxctly sure if this is the exact wording)

I thought.. hmmm could be any/all of them but no option to click all.. could only select one. I clicked one and hoped for the best.
    I would think that 'c' is the obvious answer.
    A pedestrian crossing would hardly be located over the brow of a hill and even if it were, it would have advance signage.
    A bus stop would hardly be located there either.
    Roadworks would have advance warning signage.

A breakdown is very possible with no advance warning so I'd go for it.

I got a form from police station today (or garda station-my friends always pull me up on this!)
    One of my pet hates also! 'Police' just sounds so wrong! :eek: :D

Correct me if I am wrong but .. tomorrow i get the optician to sign form to say i did the test, i then get 2 photos and finish the application form, hand it into the police station tomorrow evening and then they tell me to go collect my provisional licence ??? is this the right procedure? because the garda today said i get a "pink slip" before i get my provisional licence?
    You have to apply at your local Motor Tax Office - not your local Garda Station.

yeh i bring the form i got in the "garda" station to the motor tax office, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

yeh, thatd be it

• Advertisement

cool so tomorrow I get the eye test , 2 photos , complete the form and hand it in on Monday to motor tax office... what next?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cool so tomorrow I get the eye test , 2 photos , complete the form and hand it in on Monday to motor tax office... what next?

Wait for your license, and enjoy learning how to drive! You will have to hold your license for at least 6months before sitting a driving test, but you can apply before the 6 months are up. (Just note the date you can sit the test from on your application for your full driving test!).
    Best of Luck.

thanks man, does it take long for them to send out your provisional licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

thanks man, does it take long for them to send out your provisional licence ?

Not really, it differs from motor tax office, but i think a week or two is about the norm. Some hand it directly to you...most will post it out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

1 day job from Clondalkin!

1 day also in Donegal

Got my eye exam done just before I handed in the forms... optician put eye drops in to dilate my pupils.. couldnt see a damn thing when I got to motor tax office.. lol.. think they thought i was blind and applying for a learner permit

Got the eye test yesterday.. not pleasant when they blow air in your eyes with that machine! I plan on bringing the completed form,photos and eye report in to them on tuesday in person and hopefully I'll get it there and then..

thanks for everybody's advice on this one..

Quick question,

What do you need to bring to the theory test centre?

Quick question,

AFAIK you don't have to bring anything. Presumably they'll have your booking on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Quick question,

You have to bring ID of some sort
    http://www.dtts.ie/english/driver-theory-test/id-requirements.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement