Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture....avoidant? proof? less? tyres for a road bike

Options
  • 25-09-2008 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm really sick of getting bike punctures at the worst times (lashing rain, in a rush, dont have repair kit handy etc etc)

I'm a big guy putting a fair amount of weight on my back tyre which punctures fairly regularly.

Can anyone recommend tyres (and/or tubes) that are fairly resistant to puncturing for a road bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The most pucture resistant tyre is the Specialized Armadillo, but I don't like them for two reasons - really heavy and not very grippy in the wet.

I'm running Continental Gatorskins on my bike and I have had no punctures so far. They roll pretty well and have plenty of grip in the wet.

Don't forget to be sure to keep your tyres pumped up to the recommended psi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

penexpers wrote: »
    The most pucture resistant tyre is the Specialized Armadillo, but I don't like them for two reasons - really heavy and not very grippy in the wet.

i think these tyres are great - any problems i had with punctures evaporated once i put the armadillos on. they get my vote (i have them on my 3 bikes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

penexpers wrote: »
    Continental Gatorskins

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I recently put 26" Gatorskins on my commuter MTB recently on the recommendation of some posters here. No complaints yet, though it hasn't really been wet enough over the last week of two (hooray!) to see what the wet weather handling is like. A PITA to put on the rim compared to the previous knobblies, but hopefully I won't have to change them often.

As penexpers said, these need to be pumped up to the recommended pressure to see the full benefit - a track pump is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Continental Gatroskins +2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've used both and whilst my experience on the gators is much more limited as I only bought a set last month I really like them and would probably buy em over the arma's in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

A PITA to put on the rim compared to the previous knobblies, but hopefully I won't have to change them often.
    Dunno about the 26"flavour, but the 700s are no more difficult than anything else I've had. Roll nicely too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have used both Armadillos and Gatorskins. Armadillos are absolutely bombproof but as Penexpers says are slippy in the wet. Got over 20,000km without a puncture. Gatorskins are not quite as bombproof, I think maybe 2 punctures in 2,000km or so, but they have far better grip and road "feel".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anyone got experience of tyre liners on a road bike? Would seem to be a good way of protecting grippy tyres (the reported grip problems of the Armadillos scare me off).

I put Slime Liners in my son's BMX a couple of years ago, and he's had no punctures since. They feel pretty indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Continental Gatorskins +3

I've done about 120hrs on them with 1 puncture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I've used both the Gators and the Armadillos. From my experience the Gators offer tonnes more grip in the wet and are a more confident tyre in corners. However I've been on Armadillos since the start of May and haven't punctured once, not something I can say for the Gators.
    I have one bike for commuting and for training and I work in the city so my tyres get a dogs abuse. Every time I changed a tube in the Gators I had to de-glass them. Haven't had to check the Armadillos yet.

I do prefer the feel of the Gators and they're a lot lighter but for commuting and for puncture free commuting at that, I'd go for the Armadillos. (Hey Specialized! I'll have my fee in cash, thanks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I use armadillos, not had a puncture yet, not encountered a problem in the wet yet either. They get my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Who'd a thunk it: Skins Vs 'Dillos is the new PC Vs Mac. (Armadillo man myself although I did use tire liners for years successfully.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

gatorskinz fo life foo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I actually have both. I've gatorskins at home on my road bike that lives in the countryside (where there's much less glass) and i have amadillos on my hybrid for the city. No question about it, more puncture resistance on the armadillos but a more grippy and supple ride off the gatorskins. For city use i'd back the amadillos, particularly under heavy loading

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

niceonetom wrote: »
    gatorskinz fo life foo

Let me guess: gatorskinz are "the nuts"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

fo sho, the playaz all haz Armadilloes -you know it beatch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I've used both too. I punctured regularly on the gaterskins. Only once on the armadillo and that was a big nail which I only noticed when I got home. wheel was still rock solid.

Unless you're racing I'd suggest armadillos. I've never come off them in the wet either (in 2 years) but that's because I'm usually careful in the wet. The all condition armadillos are decent enough in the wet though. The gators are definitely more grippy and have more give in them but just not worth the risk of flats IMO. A decent saddle and grips / handle bar or fork makes riding on armadillos as comfortable as any other tyre.

+1 Armadillos

I'd say if it is for a commuter, you aren't going fast around corners and you don't like punctures, the Armadillos are the optimal tyre. I changed for the Gatorskins as I don't mind having to change a puncture every few months or so; I cycle quite aggressively and appreciate the superior cornering ability.

I came off twice in the wet on the Armadillos- both relatively slow corners in the wet, bike just slid off to the side. I certainly would have felt sketchy taking a corner at speed on them. But I also never had a puncture. So you need to weigh up the type of riding you are doing and make the decision based on that.

Have Schwalbe Ultremos on my racer and they are excellent, really light, fast rolling, great grip, hard wearing and decent puncture protection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

maxxis re-fuse on my roadie, if you can still get them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Gonna throw a third one into the mix, I used to use Armadillos but have converted to Schwalbe Marathon Plus.... again they're heavy, but they seem to perform better in the rain, and they last even longer than dillos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gonna throw a third one into the mix, I used to use Armadillos but have converted to Schwalbe Marathon Plus.... again they're heavy, but they seem to perform better in the rain, and they last even longer than dillos.

I was just gonna ask if anyone was running those ones!. I have them on my commuter and no punctures yet, though haven't put serious mileage (kilometreage?) on them yet. Any comments or pro's, con's from previous users here?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Running 700x28 Vittorio Randoneurs, have about 2500km with no punctures, love these tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I recently swapped from Armadillos to Gatorskins after a nasty spill in the wet and I have to say I love 'em. I wouldn't go back. It's down to what's most important to you though. Puncture resistance v. ride quality/grip. If puncture resistance is your only worry, go for the Armadillo's. Ride wise I found the Armadillos heavy and 'dead'. The Conti's are a much nicer ride IMO - they're lighter and grippier.

I have also used Marathons (not the plus) as well as the Armadillos and Gatorskins. If you are only on road I would go for the Armadillos or Gatorskins as they are slicks. The Marathons have a bit of a tread which slows you down (only a bit) on road but is enough to give them a bit more grip off road. So the Marathons are a good choice if you think you may have a bit of light off road on a trail that might be muddy for example. (I got the Marathons to do the Camino which was 25% off road on the route we took, and they were perfect for that.)

Advertisement