Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime Recommendations?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Looking to start watching a new series, anime I've watched and really liked recently are ones like BECK, Genshiken and Welcome to the NHK. Can anyone recommend me anything along the same lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Having heard of none of those, Try Ghost in the Shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Yeah, I haven't heard of any of those either.... I'll go ahead and recommend Deathnote...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Berserk, Blood +, Eureka 7, 12 Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki), Death Note, Black Lagoon, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ergo Proxy, annnnd Samurai 7.

This is a good starter list. Every one of these anime is simply amazing in its own way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

kyub wrote: »
    Berserk, Blood +, Eureka 7, 12 Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki), Death Note, Black Lagoon, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ergo Proxy, annnnd Samurai 7.

This is a good starter list. Every one of these anime is simply amazing in its own way. :)

this. and also;

Full Metal Panic
    Ghost in the Shell
    Gungrave
    Slayers
    Initial D
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Funky wrote: »
    Looking to start watching a new series, anime I've watched and really liked recently are ones like BECK, Genshiken and Welcome to the NHK. Can anyone recommend me anything along the same lines?
    Genshiken and Welcome to the NHK are better than most of whats been listed in this thread so far. I haven't seen BECK, but I can say that very little of whats been recommended is similar to these.

At a stretch, I'd say Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I'd definitely recommend Baccano! Also Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and maybe Lucky Star, if it doesn't offend you.

Some of the stuff listed here is excellent, so you should check some of it out if you need something more to watch. And be sure to catch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I sort of know what type of genre your going for, id recommend as someone listed: Gungrave. Id also give Ergo Proxy or Paranoia Agent a watch. Thats all i cant think right off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Might be duplicating someone else's recommendations but;

Deathnote (comic up to a point haven't seen the manga)
    Blade of the immortal (about the best manga I've read in recent years)
    Anything by shirow (so Orion, ghost in the shell, appleseed, dominion etc)
    Patlabor (the movies & comics)
    trigun (one of my faves) both comics & cartoons
    outlaw star
    eh thats all i can think of at the mo'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

start yourself off slowly with ghost in the shell, move to full metal alchemist and finish with bleach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

cheers for the recommendations, seen alot of the usuals like Naruto/Bleach/Death Note/FMA/FMP etc. but i'll check out some of the others!
    At a stretch, I'd say Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I'd definitely recommend Baccano! Also Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and maybe Lucky Star, if it doesn't offend you.

Actually watched the first couple of episodes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and thought it was pretty good alright I might go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mankind123

Cowboy Bebop
    Code Geass R1 and R2
    Read Or Die
    Hellsing OVA's

These are all pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I echo recommendations of Haruhi and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. I really loved Welcome To The N.H.K and thought Genshiken was great too, seems like The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya is right up your alley, also have to recommend GTO, brilliant series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

good call on The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, watched the first couple of episodes there the other night and thought it was quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Cowboy bebop is great. Samurai shan plu (sp?) is done by the same guys and looks great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Sa-Sa-Sa-Sa-Samurai Champloo.

They keep it real. Yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

Trigun
    Cowboy Bebop
    Samurai Deeper
    Gungrave
    Gunslinger Girl

Advertisement