Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobs in town???

• 25-09-2008 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

alright lads and ladies, possibly bit of a futile request but does anyone know anywhere in waterford that are hiring people? papers are useless unless you want to be a driver or something like that. On a similar note, many of ye going on the dole like myself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

AOL are ALWAYS hiring people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

Dan,

You haven't mentioned any skills set or other relevant info - also are you willing to commute/have you transport?
    A few little details might help others help more

xxKate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

AOL are ALWAYS hiring people.

Yeah threw in a cv there and heard nothing back, wasn't too eager to work there after all the "aohell" talk but would gladly take a job there
    kitten_bar wrote: »
    Dan,

You haven't mentioned any skills set or other relevant info - also are you willing to commute/have you transport?
    A few little details might help others help more

xxKate

Law degree, speak fluent french, computer skills, have worked in factories, offices, supermarkets. Just wondering if anyone knows of places in town that have vacancies,transport would be mammy giving me a lift :D anywhere in the town is suitable like. I'm sure there's probably a few more interested. tough times :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tesco Tramore might be looking for new staff. Maybe even the cinema. AOL are usually looking for more full time staff. A lot of shops will have a sign in the Window if they need staff. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AOL is like any other call centre, its not for everyone like any callcentre...but that can be said for any job.

Alot of people have been happy of the money from it over the years..especially students :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

AFAIK these have been very quiet lately, I'm a manager of a office supplies shop here in town and we have an account with a well known Rec agency and one of them told me the other day that they simply have tons of CV's and no jobs to go with them. Still worth putting it in I suppose, Sully had a good suggestion there for tesco, After that I think the Aldi's are worth a try as they pay pretty well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lidl will be opening in Tramore soon, so they might have something. The Waterford stores might also need someone (you can get a Lidl Degree also! :D). Maybe PC World?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Matrix Recruitment Agency is holding an open day out in the Ramada on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

times are indeed tough for job hunting but there are a couple things you could try.

with a law degree and a language you should be pimping yourself to various law firms in town.

Get a part time job in Aldi to pay the bills and volunteer your services for free (like an intern) in a law firm for x days a week for experience.

A lot of the legal firms in town take people on like this - and those people are usually first in line for any positions that come up. The firms admire the initiative shown and also get a chance to see how you work.
    It's a close-knit group in town also - if something comes up elsewhere they'll be the first to know and will usually recommend you. I did this a few years ago in architecture offices in town.

Your other option is to go to publicjobs.ie - do the online test and put yourself forward for panel selection. You may enter at a low admin grade but chances are good to move between departments.

Also - temp. Can't stress this enough as a quick employment option. Go in and tell them you'll do anything. It's a great way to get more office experience and also if somewhere is impressed they'll often try and find a way to keep you (case in point - I started in my current company on a three month contact working for one department and am now working for another on an 18 month project contract)

The money is better than AOL (which really isn't for everyone - I did two years in TS before going back to college and I was fit to going all Finland on people by the end) and it's nice 9-5 hours and generally very little stress. People don't expect much from a temp so anything you do that is above and beyond is really noticed and appreciated.

Give it a go - I recommend La Creme for temping - also the Matrix day is coming up and they are also very good.

When you go into the recruitment firm - ask for their advise - have them look at your cv and suggest what could be improved. Ask them about what they think about your interview technique - use them - too many people walk in, hand in a cv which gets put in a pile and walk out to wait by the phone. make your self memorable - show you're really interested and you'll stand a better chance of getting put forward for positions.

I've done a fair amount of job-moving through the years and I guess these are just a few of my "from experience" tips.

Oh and Fas - the job seekers - they're next to Fletcher's in town. You'd be surprised at the jobs they get in.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.
    xxKate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mang

fletchers are hiring, as are apachie and hillbillys. i think lombard street chipper are looking for a driver, may as well look into 4star and cony island of your looking for a driving job, if i think of anywhere else ill post it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

www.fas.ie

try here for jobs its where I found my one and not everyone seems to know about it AFAIK and can be quite for good for temp work as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

There is a FAS like group near the Xtravision in town closer to the woodsman Pub I think. Go in there to drop off your C.V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Telling you dude, with the degree and all your other qualifications don't sell your self short on the work front.You probably won't get the job you deserve in Waterford at all,(especially not in law unless you know some one in a firm).My advice would be to look for work out of the county if you're willing to move.Plenty decent jobs in cork and even Galway, but if I were in your situation mate I think I'd seriously consider moving abroad, far more oppurtunities and better paid work.Ireland is finished, I'm gonna put in a year or two here because of commitments, but after that I plan on moving either to Edinburgh or to maybe one of the Scandaniavian countries.

thanks for the replies everyone, didn't expect ye to be so helpful to be honest :p gonna try all avenues anyway, hopefully something will pop up, if not there's always leeching off the dole. If i see any place hiring I'll post it up here might be of benefit to others too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

A bit of advice to the young lad looking for a job.

For the love of Jesus, what are you still doing in Waterford? You've got the following "Law degree, speak fluent french, computer skills, have worked in factories, offices, supermarkets"

Waterford is the dregs. There is nothing there. I got the hell out of the place in June '06, now live in Dublin and loving every minute of it. You are doing your career no favours by staying there. The longer you stay in Waterford, the more detrimental it will be for your career. You've got a law degree, fluent in French and you are resigned to working in Hillbillys or in some supermarket for the minimum wage. get the **** out of the place and dont look back. You speak French, go to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Canada etc. You can get a job in the EU Commission. You've got a major EU language. I wouldnt be pimping myself out to FAS ffs. I'd hop on the train to Dublin and start handing in my CV to recruitment agencies.

There is a group here called Alliance Francaise - http://www.alliance-francaise.ie/ Its a french speaking cultural group here in Dublin. I'm strongly thinking of brushing up on my LC French. There are plenty of French ex-pats there who you could hook up with and point you in the right direction. Also many foreign recruitment agencies and law firms look for recruitys here.

The world's you oyster bud and you want to stay in Waterford. The place is a dead end backwater. Get out man.

Partizan wrote: »

For the love of Jesus, what are you still doing in Waterford? You've got the following "Law degree, speak fluent french, computer skills, have worked in factories, offices, supermarkets"

Waterford is the dregs. There is nothing there. I got the hell out of the place in June '06, now live in Dublin and loving every minute of it. You are doing your career no favours by staying there. The longer you stay in Waterford, the more detrimental it will be for your career. You've got a law degree, fluent in French and you are resigned to working in Hillbillys or in some supermarket for the minimum wage. get the **** out of the place and dont look back. You speak French, go to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Canada etc. You can get a job in the EU Commission. You've got a major EU language. I wouldnt be pimping myself out to FAS ffs. I'd hop on the train to Dublin and start handing in my CV to recruitment agencies.

There is a group here called Alliance Francaise - http://www.alliance-francaise.ie/ Its a french speaking cultural group here in Dublin. I'm strongly thinking of brushing up on my LC French. There are plenty of French ex-pats there who you could hook up with and point you in the right direction. Also many foreign recruitment agencies and law firms look for recruitys here.

The world's you oyster bud and you want to stay in Waterford. The place is a dead end backwater. Get out man.

With such vivid hatred for everything that is Waterford. The question has to be asked..
    Why do you then hang about the Waterford Threads??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I don't see the previous post as having "vivid hate" for Waterford, he's just spelling it out like it is as regards job opportunites in Waterford. Waterford has virtually nothing going for it jobswise. Most jobs that are out there at the moment are min wage low end fare, which sucks.

I mean the chap posted saying he has a law degree and has fluent french and computer skills etc etc, and all that was suggested was stacking shelves in a supermarket, call centres, takeaway drivers, etc. It reflects badly on the city that someone with a good education - a law degree - and good skillsets will end up working in AOL or driving for takaways or doing rubbish hours in a Lidl or Tescos, with a good degree going to waste doing a job that you realistically could get while still a teenager in school or just after the Leaving Cert.

What a waste of 3 or 4 years of hard slog and study and trying to finance yourself through college only to be told that you shouldn't have bothered if you plan on staying in Waterford, as the jobs that are out there are just of the usual minimum wage unskilled type.

That unfortunately IS the level of employment in Waterford for the most part, believe me I've been there and done that.

So Partizan is giving him the best advice in the current climate especially- get out of Waterford, get your career on the go, jobs that are more suited to his level of education and skills will be easier to come by elsewhere. Bigger cities also tend to have less of a "closed shop" mentality, and you will find it easier to gain a foothold on the ladder than here, where it's all about your connections.

BTW all of this is coming from someone who actually likes living in Waterford, and is loathe to leave it but who realises that it is the only realistic option is you want a decent job, and will be doing just that in a few years time once a few commitments have been seen through here.

Waterford is the dregs. There is nothing there.
    I got the hell out of the place in June '06, now live in Dublin and loving every minute of it. You are doing your career no favours by staying there. The longer you stay in Waterford, the more detrimental it will be for your career. You've got a law degree, fluent in French and you are resigned to working in Hillbillys or in some supermarket for the minimum wage. get the **** out of the place and dont look back. You speak French, go to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Canada etc. You can get a job in the EU Commission. You've got a major EU language. I wouldnt be pimping myself out to FAS ffs. I'd hop on the train to Dublin and start handing in my CV to recruitment agencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

garp wrote: »

I got the hell out of the place in June '06, now live in Dublin and loving every minute of it. You are doing your career no favours by staying there. The longer you stay in Waterford, the more detrimental it will be for your career. You've got a law degree, fluent in French and you are resigned to working in Hillbillys or in some supermarket for the minimum wage. get the **** out of the place and dont look back. You speak French, go to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Canada etc. You can get a job in the EU Commission. You've got a major EU language. I wouldnt be pimping myself out to FAS ffs. I'd hop on the train to Dublin and start handing in my CV to recruitment agencies.

What you have higlighted is perfectly true in regards to the job situation in Waterford. Everything that was suggested is true - why on earth should the OP be happy with a job driving for hillbillies or scanning groceries when he could he doing something that pays decent wages, has good prospects for career progression and actually pertains to his interests/training/education?

The whole thrust of that post is that Waterford is the pits for decent jobs. Anyway this thread is not to debate whether one poster likes/dislikes Waterford as a city, it's about what jobs are out there in Waterford, and the sad truth is that for the most part the only jobs that are going are unskilled min wages roles, or if you're lucky, a role that is a few bob above the min wage.

Opportunities are not plentiful in this region, especially now with dole queues snaking out the doors of the welfare offices and hundreds if not thousands of people recently made redundant vying for the few jobs that are going.
    Should the OP wish to pursue a certain career path beyond min wage stuff, the best bet is to move elsewhere.
    Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DefenseSoapEire

I'm pretty sure i've seen help wanted notices in the Sony store and Sherwoods in town.
    Probably of no use to you now, but after Christmas if you're still stuck for a job send me a pm and I might be able to help you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I'm pretty sure i've seen help wanted notices in the Sony store and Sherwoods in town.
    :)

Great, so the young lad who has a law degree and fluent French speaker can flog off widescreen TV's and whatnot in the post Xmas sales for the minimum wage. Who knows he might actually meet a French person in the shop seeking advice on whether his rights are covered under the Consumer Information Act 1980. Fantastic.

Garp, let me tell you this. I'm from Waterford and lived there all my life. Its my city and my family and friends still live there. I come down from Dublin once a month to see them and off to the RSC to watch my beloved Blues in action.

Now about my career experience. I went to WIT after completing the Leaving in '95 and did 3 years there before graduating with a Diploma in Commercial Computing. After graduating the only options I had was either work on the buildings, a call centre with crap pay, mundane factory job with crap pay, selling lottery tickets with crap pay, working in a supermarket/retail with crap pay. Not very enticing you might add. Indeed so I decided to work on the buildings. Hard, unskilled and dirty work, not exactly what I had envisaged when I graduated. So you know what I did. I got up off my arse applied to do History, Politics and Public Admin in UL (no uni in Waterford), got in, got my honours degree after 4 years of hard work. Wippy Dooo!.

After spending 4 years away from home, 1 year of that living & studying in Bulgaria, I went back to Waterford looking for work. Lo and behold I was faced with the same dilemma as I had some years previous - no suitable work or the dole Q. I went back stacking blocks on a building site armed with my 2:1 Honours Degree and Bulgarian language skills. After months of backbreaking and dirty work I got an office job. The pay was 365 yo-yos a week after tax. I took a pay hit but was delighted to be no longer stacking blocks or mixing buckets upon buckets of cement. Truly stimulating stuff.

Another 6 months had passed and I realised that I was wasting my talents being a glorified secretary, answering the phone, making cups of tea and the usual meeting and greeting nonsense. Well I started looking around and a job came up in Dublin in a government body that got me interested. I went for the interview, got the job and packed all my stuff and hightailed it out of Waterford without looking back.

Well 2 years on and I'm a Project Manager in one of the big 3rd level institutions in Dublin. My take home salary has grown nearly 3 fold, renting a nice apartment in Rathmines, just completed the first stage of my Masters in Project Management and a girlfriend in tow. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that things have got better for me since I made that decision to leave Waterford. I dont regret it one iota and I'd never go back to Waterford even if you quadrupled the spondoolies.

To my fellow graduate, take the plunge and follow my advice and example. Dont waste any more time. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to find a decent job. Remember, all prospective employers are looking for the big dirty, i.e. relevant experience. If they see that you were on the idle for 6 months and that your legal experience amounted to flipping burgers in Hillbillys, or flogging TV's in Sherwoods then you might as well stick a big sticker on your forehead with 'LOSER' on it. Employers like to see risk and someone with enthuasism and drive. What have you got to lose. You're young, an eager graduate the world is at your feet. My advice. Get the Monday morning train to Dublin and start knocking on doors. You can PM me if you like.

Dont listen to the others, to what you think is right for YOU and YOUR career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DefenseSoapEire

Well at the moment he is considering the dole, i would say selling lcd tvs etc for commission is better than the dole and other suggestions made here such as pizza delivery.
    However i agree with the general point you are trying to make, that with a law degree and second language the sky is the limit.

Are we forgetting here that he came to US looking for JOBS in WATERFORD?! Christ, people are only giving him advise on jobs available around Waterford. Sure he has a great CV, but lets not go barking at other people for suggesting places to work. He came here, he asked where to find work, we gave him advise on jobs related to his degree and also not related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mang

jaysus ya try help people and fights are started ehh? hahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Would these be any use to you, relatively near home;
    http://www.unum.com/ireland/currentvacancies.aspx

I don't know if they match your skills abd qualifications as such but has to be better than McDonalds and the like....

Any word of that company Servier recruiting/seeting up? They are French are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Looks like the job scene in Waterford is really dire at the moment...

I moved overseas about 9 years ago and my IT career really took off from there.
    I came from a Diploma in Computers in the WRTC to now having been a Manager of IT Professional in multiple large Worldwide organisations paying much better then I ever even imagined and more opportunities come calling every few months...

I had hoped though one day to be able to return to Waterford and although I was not expecting to earn as much as I do today I was hoping that there might be at least some alternatives to the Dole or Tesco's stacking shelves!

I have no desire to live anywhere else in Ireland if I was to return as the whole point would be to be near my Family and Friends and if I lived in Dublin I might as well live overseas as I would not get to see them that often anyway...

Dire, dire times it seems for Waterford.

Partizan, echosound and everyone else, thanks for yer replies.
    With regard to getting out of Waterford, I know what yer saying, I'm staying home for a year while I take the law exams and next year gonna head to Dublin. The thing is you can't actually start a training contract to be a solicitor or barrister before having completed the specific law exams to entitle you to do so. So I'm just looking for something to keep me ticking over while at home and preparing for the exams. So can't get a proper job in the law at moment either here or anywhere else.

As regards the type of work I'm looking for, had my eye on factory work in order to get good pay, pay off debt and get few quid together. We all know how hard it is to save when you're working in tesco getting 300 euro for a full week , I know because I was there for 3 years.

It is true though isn't it unfortunately about the terrible brain drain away from Waterford, there just doesn't seem to be enough here to give you good opportunity of being highly successful. Of course there are people who do great from staying here, but those are the exception rather than the norm. Suppose that's just the way things are. Thanks for responses again people

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Pa the Blah

Fluent French you say.... Sunlife! not sure if you know them but they have a french team... not all French from various eu country's inc Ireland.. some computing experience is a plus.. decent prospects and a lot better than AOL.. u deal with internal ppl rather than the public... my wife works there she's sleeping atm.. I'll ask when she's up and about, if there's any slots open...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

garp wrote: »

garp if you want to post a comment then by all means do so but please refrain from quoting a post and highlighting selective text within that post.

Advertisement