Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin on Freddie Mac kickbacks to McCains aide.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hobbes wrote: »
    Well you post them then.

Actually.. please do post them because I am at a loss to find them.

Well here he is asking a wheelchaired bound senator to stand up, oops

Here is the CBS interview with Couric. Where he claims FDR was in charge during the 1929 stock market crash and then berates that ad on McCain which says he can't use a computer then gets rather fuzzy on whether Obama approved it or not

And here is he saying Hillary Clinton is probably more qualified then him to be VP. Can you imagine Sarah Palin saying something like this!

Are these important, not particularly. They are funny and that's about it but I bet you all the tea in China they would have been posted up here practically straight away and if Palin had made these gaffes people would have had a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

cooker3 wrote: »
    They are funny and that's about it but I bet you all the tea in China they would have been posted up here practically straight away and if Palin had made these gaffes people would have had a field day.

Well therein lies the rub. Had Palin only made gaffes like these, people wouldn't be having sleepless nights at the thought of her as President. She isn't making gaffes, she's royally f*cking up in every single interview she gives. Do you get it yet? This isn't an anti-republican thing. This isn't some sort of GOP-claimed-world-machivellian-everyone-hates-the-US thing, this isn't a sexist thing, this is recognising that somebody is horrendously out of their depth and wholely unsuitable for such power & responsibility.

What sets me aghast is that people are actually defending her (apparently quite blindly and fervorently) and considering her to be a serious candidate. And I suspect a great deal many other people who are jumping up and down and shouting "Wake up" to the masses are running along a similar line.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

If she performs anything like that against Biden, it'll be hilarious. i cringed for her watching it. She got worse and worse!

It's an altogether scary prospect that she might one day be a heartbeat away from the Presidency. Bush had Cheney pulling his strings. Palin has... the First Dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Overheal wrote: »
    Its true though and for the most part its got lots to do with Ireland, which again, holds dear many left wing characteristics, like the Socialized Healthcare Nanny State BS. Obviously not everyone agrees with it but plenty are happy with it and the rest dont give a ****. I mean when you need a thread in Politics asking if Ireland has any Conservatives it really speaks for itself dont it?

Left Leaning might be a nicer term. I guess Wing would really be a term for a place where the opposing view is squelched out. Like on the PULSE site. bleh.

edit: but i dont like where I've taken this line of conversation... can of worms tbh.

Hang on there overheal, that thread about us having no conservatives was started by someone that believes in a complete free market economics with little or no government involvement. To most Irish, and indeed Europeans, he would be far right in his economic thinking beliveing that the state should not play a part in providing any services to society.
    I guess to some of the US Republican mindset he would be just right.
    His opinion and perhaps yours (?) of what are conservative right wing views/leanings appears to most Europeans as very far right.

Actaully funny how he has disappeared over the last week, just when the great private institutions that he lauded have been running to government to bail out their asses now that they have made a right pigs ear of things.

Leave the market alone and everything will be alright. Yeah right :rolleyes:

Speaking of nanny states the US has become a one of sorts.
    Unlike ours it isn't a nanny state for the poor individuals, it is for the rich that have have screwed the US taxpayer by lumping them with billions worth of bad debts.
    How does that make you feel ?

Anyway back on topic. We, the Europeans maybe more liberally minded than you folks over there, but dear God a blind and deaf man at this stage could see the Palin is grossly unprepared to lead the biggest economy and military power in the world.
    Her idea of her being able to handle foreign policy issues is because she comes from a state that has a land border with those Canadians (and we all know how dangerous they are) and a maritime border with Russia, is laughable to anyone with half a brain.
    According to that criteria, I have a good chance of being UN Secretary General, since I live in Europe and have visited 4 continents during my lifetime :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

cooker3 wrote: »
    Well here he is asking a wheelchaired bound senator to stand up, oops

Don't see that as a serious gaff. He didn't know the guy was in a wheelchair and his comments on that don't impact the government in anyway.
    Here is the CBS interview with Couric...

OK that one on FDR was hilarious. :)
    And here is he saying Hillary Clinton is probably more qualified then him to be VP.

I don't see this as a gaff either. To be honest knowing where your weaknesses are and admitting them is a strength. Hillary might be more qualified but she would do nothing to get votes and had already muddied the waters with the sleaze throwing on Obama.

Compare him now to the latest interview of Palin where she has McCain sitting in this time to stop her saying something stupid.

• Advertisement

Incidently, the latest SNL sketch of Sarah Palin they used Palins exact words as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That was the most shameful Interview I have ever seen from someone aspiring to power.

She had no clue about Fanny and Freddie, the $700b bailout, Russia being close to Alaska and how that made her qualified to be VP or Israel / Iran and foreign policy.

As others have said, I actually cringed watching it in open mouthed disbelief. I don't know anyone personally who I think could not have done a better job answering those questions.

On the $700m bailout it was like she took every fact in her head she has been given on the economy and put it in a blender and spewed out the results.

On McCains lobbyist and Fanny and Freddy.....the "I'll find a bunch of them and bring them to ya!".............we aren't talking about picking ****ing flowers here love, we are talking about you been a 72yo mans life away from the most powerful job on earth.

I could go on, but I won't, I have never been shocked by such incompetence by a public official ever......local councilors give a far better account of themselves on rte news than this VP candidate. If this got the coverage it deserves in the US, it should have completely torpedoed McCains run.

Yours in abject disbelief,

Inq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yes but people are forgetting to factor in the intelligence of the average american, many voting americans make palin sound like einstien, yes i have the emails that some send me to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

When it comes to polling I think whatever Palin and Biden come out with in the meantime will not make the slightest of difference to the average US voter. They will not be thinking of the consequences of who will take over in that scenario.

While Palin has not come out shining so far there is no way that McCain will dump her as if he does then it is over for him and the Republicans.

When the Democrats went for Biden they knew there would be gaffs but must have figured that his overall experience would balance out. I havent seen any of that so far with Palin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

I am pretty sure they would if that male was as stupid as she was.

There is a male as stupid as she is - Joe Biden. A book could be written on the amount of gaffes he's had. Why don't we hear about his gaffes in the news? because he is not as news worthy as Sarah Palin. Lucky Obama to have a VP candidate that nobody cares less about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

All Palin has to say in the debate is 'Don't you dare patronise me, Sir', and it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

yaynay wrote: »
    There is a male as stupid as she is - Joe Biden. A book could be written on the amount of gaffes he's had. Why don't we hear about his gaffes in the news? because he is not as news worthy as Sarah Palin. Lucky Obama to have a VP candidate that nobody cares less about.

A couple of "gaffes" should not worry your average voter in the slightest. Its been pointed out in this thread that his gaffes (e.g. forgetting that a senator was wheelchair-bound) do not reflect on his real abilities in the slightest. Sarah Palin on the other hand is not making gaffes, she's actively digging herself a hole, demonstrating that she has absolutely no substance, experience or expertise to bring to the table. This whole obsession with "gaffes" is ridiculous anyway, people are going to be picking on candidates' ties and hairdos next ffs...

political-pictures-vladimir-putin-see-alaska-from-here.jpg

yaynay wrote: »
    There is a male as stupid as she is - Joe Biden.

Yet I don't see any serious gaffes at the level of Palin. Please feel free to post them (in separate thread/s).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

cornbb wrote: »
    political-pictures-vladimir-putin-see-alaska-from-here.jpg
    Complete tangent, but I have the exact same binoculars, and they're superb. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Complete tangent, but I have the exact same binoculars, and they're superb. :)

KGB SPY!!!! :eek:
    BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!! :pac:

*ahem* Sorry.

On a serious note, I wonder what foreign heads of state are making of the performance as shown by Palin; particularly the heavy-weight adversaries like Russia and China, and how the possible election might shape their foreign policies; either active or contingency (based on McCain becoming incapacitated) vs. Obama/Biden and which they might see as "preferable" to their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

This just gets better and better/worse and worse...
    Soon after Sarah Palin was elected mayor of the foothill town of Wasilla, Alaska, she startled a local music teacher by insisting in casual conversation that men and dinosaurs coexisted on an Earth created 6,000 years ago -- about 65 million years after scientists say most dinosaurs became extinct -- the teacher said.

After conducting a college band and watching Palin deliver a commencement address to a small group of home-schooled students in June 1997, Wasilla resident Philip Munger said, he asked the young mayor about her religious beliefs.

Palin told him that "dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time," Munger said. When he asked her about prehistoric fossils and tracks dating back millions of years, Palin said "she had seen pictures of human footprints inside the tracks," recalled Munger, who teaches music at the University of Alaska in Anchorage and has regularly criticized Palin in recent years on his liberal political blog, called Progressive Alaska.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-palinreligion28-2008sep28,0,3643718.story?track=rss

cornbb wrote: »

This is frankly absolutely insane. As Matt Damon said the stats on McCain surviving 3 years are 2 in 3, how on earth have we reached a point where we have let a person this inept get soo close to the most powerful job on earth, this defies logic.

I bet she can't name 5 European Capitals, or 5 Middle Eastern countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Inquitus wrote: »
    I bet she can't name 5 European Capitals, or 5 Middle Eastern countries.

You think Bush could before he got into power?

By the way in her last interview with Couric she clearly states she believes in Evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

...she believes in Evolution.

She also wants Creationism (faith-based belief) taught in schools... beside Evolution (fact-based science)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

As Matt Damon said the stats on McCain surviving 3 years are 2 in 3,

Well, if Matt says so, thats good enough for me ;)
    how on earth have we reached a point where we have let a person this inept get soo close to the most powerful job on earth, this defies logic.

We haven't let anything happen.

As for the Americans...they've had this system for a long, long time now, where you elect the party candidate before they choose their running mate.

In a sense, VPOTUS is one of the easiest jobs in the world to get elected to. You get hand picked by someone who is running for President, and you can ride to the position on their coat-tails without having any qualities to recommend you whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Otacon wrote: »
    She also wants Creationism (faith-based belief) taught in schools... beside Evolution (fact-based science)

Not according to this video

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4490713n

Thanks for pointing out the difference between Creationism and Evolution, I had always wondered what the difference was.

bonkey wrote: »
    Well, if Matt says so, thats good enough for me ;)

The odds of a 72yo American surviving 4 years are 2 in 3, Matt Damon's fact is correct.

Actually, in that video she is neither asked (directly) about Creationism, nor does she express an opinion on whether or not it should be taught.

She is asked the following question:

Do you believe evolution should be taught as an accepted scientific principle or as one of several theories?

In her answer she states that "it should be taught as an accepted principle". She doesn't address the "one of several theories" side at all though....and the phrasing (of both question and answer) using the term "an accepted principle" instead of something more definitive "the accepted scientific theory" is nicely non-committal.

She states that she sees the Hand of God at work, and that this is not part of state policy or the local curriculum. Note, however, that she doesn't say whether or not it should be, nor whether or not she agrees with existing policy and curriculum.

Finally, she says that science should be taught in the science class...which again has little to do with the question. She doesn't state what - in her opinion - constitutes science, or if only science should be taught in the science class.

Its a very well-worded response, despite all the claims about her ineptitude. It appears to answer the question, but in fact, she avoided saying anything at all about whether or not she feels Creationism / ID should be taught in the classroom and/or whether or not she would support such legislation should the opportunity ever arise.

The odds of a 72yo American surviving 4 years are 2 in 3, Matt Damon's fact is correct.

II'm sorry...I should have said that Matt and Inquitus say its true.

Definitely good enough for me ;)

Seriously though...if you have the underlying data to back this up, don't you think that referencing that would be more credible than saying "Matt Damon said so and its true".

I believe in McCains case it is lower then that. Which is why there has been calls for a full release of his medical records and not the 1 hour peek people were allowed.

What I find funny about it is, for most people in seriously important jobs their medical records are a matter of public record for those that would employ them. McCain on the other hand only released for 1 hour, no numbered pages and not in order and no one allowed to copy or bring material to copy the data when it was released.

The funny part is when you bring it up it is "ooh liberal media is attacking McCain".

Seriously though...if you have the underlying data to back this up, don't you think that referencing that would be more credible than saying "Matt Damon said so and its true".

Anyways the fact that you are willing to defend someone as inept and out of their depth as Sarah Palin speaks volumes about you.
    I believe in McCains case it is lower then that. Which is why there has been calls for a full release of his medical records and not the 1 hour peek people were allowed.

What I find funny about it is, for most people in seriously important jobs their medical records are a matter of public record for those that would employ them. McCain on the other hand only released for 1 hour, no numbered pages and not in order and no one allowed to copy or bring material to copy the data when it was released.

The funny part is when you bring it up it is "ooh liberal media is attacking McCain".

Indeed McCain has a history of cancer.

1 in 4 chance (Insurance mathematics)

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jU2l6KnjaIJYOiZnslIoDwZA5m3QD93H7QOO1
    An Atlanta actuarial company specializing in individualized estimates of life and health expectancy has run the numbers for McCain, 72, and Obama, 47. The firm, Bragg Associates, calculated the odds of the candidates dying in office, adjusted for their known health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I have posted before about the McCain health issues and how there is a strong chance he wont make it into a second term.

All this considered what were the Republicans thinking of when they decided on Palin compared to the likes of Bailey Hutchinson, Pawlenty, etc. I would have thought it a high priority to deal with the McCain age and health issues by showing that the VP was sound (e.g. Reagan and Bush).

Is this a monumental screw up by the GOP in reaction to the Democratic convention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/30/oneinfour-chance-mccain-m_n_130624.html

Advertisement