Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low Profile Shower Tray

• 25-09-2008 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/comments re low profile shower trays? Hope I have the terminology right, but basically, it's a tray that's not as deep as standard - correct me if I'm wrong, please?
    I had wanted to just make wetrooms in all shower areas in new house, but builder said fine downstairs, upstairs poses a risk that joints won't be sealed, might leak through ceiling, would have to tank, etc, so we are now thinking about low profile trays. Reason basically is that I hate a big step up into a shower....fickle, I know - but too many stubbed toes and trips early in the morning. Downstairs will end up being used for 'dirty' work - hosing down farm clothes and dh! so I'm not too bothered about upstairs not being 'wet roomed' but are there any disadvantages of these shower trays - more likely to spill onto floor? Can you attach standard shower doors to them, or will I end up having to get special/more expensive shower doors?
    Am going to a shop later after work, but any help here is appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I would agree with your builder if the first floors are timber. If they are concrete then I dont see their problem. Also ALL wetroom floors have to be tanked whether they are on ground or first floor. Its just a matter of painting on bitumen below the tiles.
    I cant envision any problems with a low profile shower tray with regards to the doors. If you outlet pipe is provides sufficent flow then overflowing shouldnt be a problem either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Why look for a low profile shower tray when you really want a wet room?
    A low tray might have the potential to leak more as its low walls could fill and spill over !

Try using cement board and tanking to create wet room shower. It might leak if its not done right so get a professional installer / tiler.

There is a company in wicklow that imports ready made "flat" shower trays for use in wet rooms. Because they are pre-fabricated, they are less likely to leak.

Its standard practice to have a wet room in Sweden or Denmark on 1st floor timber joists. I've two in my house - no problems. They won't leak if installed correctly. (Why do people and Builders fear change or progress when all they need to do is learn to do it right?)

IMO when it comes to a shower, size matters. :) 1200 x 900mm is a nice size, 1500 x 1000mm is great. Don't skimp on size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Thanks - just a couple of points back. It's on hollecore, so the timber joists issue isn't an issue. I wouldn't dare attempt this myself - just builder said no tiler would guarantee it? His thinking is shower tray will only have one join/seal, whereas mosaic or whatever on floor of wet room will have many joints/seals and obviously the more you have, the more difficult to guarantee it won't leak. Interesting that you need to 'tank' ground floor - will ask him about this, and also using bitumen doesn't seem that big of a deal, so maybe you have now convinced me to go back and demand wetrooms. I'm sure he'll thank ye for it! Thanks from me however, and yes RKQ I agree that you can't have a big enough shower...that's another reason for liking wetroom versus enclosed shower - more space....
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Calluna wrote: »
    Thanks - just a couple of points back. It's on hollecore, so the timber joists issue isn't an issue. I wouldn't dare attempt this myself - just builder said no tiler would guarantee it? His thinking is shower tray will only have one join/seal, whereas mosaic or whatever on floor of wet room will have many joints/seals and obviously the more you have, the more difficult to guarantee it won't leak. Interesting that you need to 'tank' ground floor - will ask him about this, and also using bitumen doesn't seem that big of a deal, so maybe you have now convinced me to go back and demand wetrooms. I'm sure he'll thank ye for it! Thanks from me however, and yes RKQ I agree that you can't have a big enough shower...that's another reason for liking wetroom versus enclosed shower - more space....
    Thanks again

Calluna, dealing with builders regularily you get to hear alot of things that "cant be done". The floor of the wetroom should always be tanked, its a general belt and draces approach thats taken whenever possible with building. Nobody can guarantee that all the joints in the grout are perfect and its alot easier to pay €50 or so for a tin of water proofing than rip up all the tiles and concrete to investigate a pinhole leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Calluna I'll PM my installers details.
    Sealing a concrete floor shouldn't be a problem ( either are joists!).

We actually have pebble mosaic on the floor of our shower... how did you know?:D:D

I don't want to be responsible for you changing your mind back! But sometimes its best to follow your instinct. A low profile shower tray might be find but next year you might wish you'd stuckto your guns.

Have you priced low profile trays? I assume they are quite expensive, as they aren't standard. It might actually cost more than tanking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

There is a glass fibre tanking system available for wetrooms/ bathrooms/ showers, which is easy to install, and doesn't lead to a thick build up. I think the only concern is to use a different adhesive for your tiling to make a secure fixing.
    I used it before on a refurb/ conversion of a listed property which put in upper floor bathrooms, and it was to prevent leaks going into apts below. Worked a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 332i

Hi i was just wondering does anyone know where i can get a shower tray in Ireland for a wet room?:confused:The floors are concrete so kinda need to know farily quickly.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

332i wrote: »
    Hi i was just wondering does anyone know where i can get a shower tray in Ireland for a wet room?:

Bit of an oxymoron there.

A wetroom, but definition, doesn't have a tray.

What are you hoping to achieve, a wetroom, or a low-profile shower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 332i

Slight contradiction alright,

What I want is a wet room, no tray. The plumber told me there is a fiberglass type tray that sits under the your tiling to prevent leakage. Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

PM me. Was about to purchase a low-profile tray (and three bathrooms) on Friday from Mega-Bad in Germany and while driving spotted a bathroom sale in a Dublin Ind Est. Well worth a look if you haven't purchased already.

As for spillage, the shower I was looking had a deep frame which sits on the tray and looked like a good seal. Finally since I have had problems with bathrooms in the past. Be over-careful here. Make sure you have proper plasterboards and remember that water will spill — it is a bathroom/shower-room — so think about some form of barrier on the floor even if you do go for the shower tray as opposed to the wet-room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

For wet rooms try

http://www.advancedwetrooms.com/

They are based in Sandyford and they have all the drains etc in stock or will install the wet room with a 10 year guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 glencoe

I did a wet room about 18 months ago and we had a company come in and install insitu fiberglass. Obviously the shape, falls etc needed to be formed and the gully in place ( he specified the type of gully assembly to use).

Took only a few hours to do and could be tiled afterwards.

Advertisement