Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear ended by a lorry

Options
  • 25-09-2008 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

Got rearended by a lorry a few weeks back, and did all the wrong things in the aftermath. I kindly wrote down all my details (reg, insurance, name, phone number) for the guy. He went to get a pen from his cab, and I assumed he was going to do the same thing, but after I handed over my details he just handed me a "business" keyring with his name and mobile number on it. I've learned my lesson, and if it should ever happen again I'll use my pen to write down the other driver's details :)

Anyway, there was practically no damage to my car (a few tiny scratches). I was totally fine (wobbly kneed for a few hours, but a cup of tea and a chat with friends fixed that).

However nearly everyone I've told said I should have reported it to the gardai. I feel that as there's no need to go to the insurance companies, and there's nothing wrong with me and not much wrong with the car then there's no need.

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A few tiny scratches on the exterior maybe, but there could well be damage underneath. Have it checked asap, and if there is any damage, report the accident immediately. Did you get the reg no of the truck?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

esel wrote: »
    A few tiny scratches on the exterior maybe, but there could well be damage underneath. Have it checked asap, and if there is any damage, report the accident immediately. Did you get the reg no of the truck?

Nope - that was one of the main things I did wrong :(

Literally all I have is his keyring, which states company name, mobile number and an eircom email address. I think he's a private contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Thoie wrote: »
    Anyway, there was practically no damage to my car (a few tiny scratches).

You should probably change the titile of the thread- rear ended by a truck suggests carnage. perhaps "rear bumper recieved tiny scratch after kiss with truck":rolleyes:
    to be honest, if the damage is as minimal as you say, i wouldnt really worry about it. you'l probably get more damage down at the supermarket by a shopping trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,932 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even minimal damage to a polymer bumper can require new crash protection bars behind (which would mean if theres a next time you're in serious ****e if they're not replaced) and may have damaged suspension components as well as upset tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You should probably change the titile of the thread- rear ended by a truck suggests carnage. perhaps "rear bumper recieved tiny scratch after kiss with truck":rolleyes:
    to be honest, if the damage is as minimal as you say, i wouldnt really worry about it. you'l probably get more damage down at the supermarket by a shopping trolley.

Tried to change it to exactly that, but it won't let me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MYOB wrote: »
    Even minimal damage to a polymer bumper can require new crash protection bars behind (which would mean if theres a next time you're in serious ****e if they're not replaced) and may have damaged suspension components as well as upset tracking.

Yeah, I'd definitely get it checked out. A bumper cover can often pop back into shape, but the actual protection behind could need some attention.

Advertisement