Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach Clean up - Just Publicity or a decent Act??

• 25-09-2008 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I heard a notice on the radio regarding a beach clean-up in Tramore which is being sponsored and organised by a business in Waterford which doesn’t have a very obvious Tramore connection.
    Anyway It got me thinking about the publicity of this - Is publicising a beach clean-up a good idea for the town?

Obviously a beach cleanup is a very good thing for the beach itself and ideally these shouldn’t have to be organised by local businesses as people should firstly respect the beach and not litter it; on the flip side though (non-local) rubbish does come in from the tide too....And secondly the council should be the ones ideally keeping the beach clean.....of tide rubbish wash up only...
    I just wonder if companies jumping on the band wagon getting publicity for a good and decent act.. is just that 'Publicity'.... – is this sending out the wrong message though - in that our beach is absolutely filthy???

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who cares? If it cleans up a mess, fair play.

Mike

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If its the one thats happened a few times, they have got **** all publicity and are still doing it. Fair play to them, its about time. Its just a shame members of the public have to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Very cynical to describe an act of community assistance as a publicity stunt without knowing the full story, have you given up your Sunday or bank holiday Monday to assist these well intentioned acts.
    I was down the last bank holiday and trust me the lads & ladies + kids had all very noble aspirations and advertising was not one, while the scaffolding company did very generously provide its 4wheel drives & trailers , its an insult to describe this as a cheap stunt and such accusations have a very negative impact on volunteering in general.
    Yes the council should organize the clean ups and people should not discard waste onto the beach and into waterways, but thats life.
    On top of that I see nothing wrong with a Waterford based company tidying a Waterford beach ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

rasper wrote: »
    Very cynical to describe an act of community assistance as a publicity stunt without knowing the full story, have you given up your Sunday or bank holiday Monday to assist these well intentioned acts.
    I was down the last bank holiday and trust me the lads & ladies + kids had all very noble aspirations and advertising was not one, while the scaffolding company did very generously provide its 4wheel drives & trailers , its an insult to describe this as a cheap stunt and such accusations have a very negative impact on volunteering in general.
    Yes the council should organize the clean ups and people should not discard waste onto the beach and into waterways, but thats life.
    On top of that I see nothing wrong with a Waterford based company tidying a Waterford beach ,

Fair enough.. didnt mean to come across cynical- I think anyone who volunteers for any cause regardless of what it is should be commended.

I do wonder though if it sends a message that the beach is dirty...

Tramore beach is beautiful and I just think it is the biggest attraction to the town; I'd dislike to think that people got the impression that it was lways dirty and in need of clean-up.

And yes I have volunteered for beach clean ups as well as clean up in the Comeragh Mountains.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think the beach has a bad name in terms of litter and poor sea quality. I know the town council challenged reports that its dirty and that the sea quality has improved but some people seem to think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

a bit of publicity for the businesses,a nice clean beach,happy days,hope the council wake up and take it upon themselves to do this and not be depending on other peoples generosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

well done & fair-play to this company,in all fairness the council should be down the beach a few hrs a week. we are blessed with a gorgeous beach which should be the centerpiece of the town along with the prom. why its not known as they very best beach in the country is a shame:rolleyes: nothing like a gud walk on a crisp morning on 3miles of well maintained beach so come on tramore council get your fingers out:(

lester76 wrote: »
    well done & fair-play to this company,in all fairness the council should be down the beach a few hrs a week. we are blessed with a gorgeous beach which should be the centerpiece of the town along with the prom. why its not known as they very best beach in the country is a shame:rolleyes: nothing like a gud walk on a crisp morning on 3miles of well maintained beach so come on tramore council get your fingers out:(

I was at a town council meeting over the summer where the issue was brought up. I know its been brought up before about bins over flowing, but I think that might have been a County Council issue rather then a town council one.

But in terms of rubbish on the beach, some of those that spoke defended the comments made about it being dirty. He claimed that he walked the beach and spoke to some of its users, who also agreed the beach isnt dirty.

Iv often found the beach very dirty, and clearly its more common then the person at that meeting thought if we have a company doing the cleanup and not the council.

Advertisement