Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A helmet...cost balacned with use

• 25-09-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

Lads what price can I expect to pay for a reasonably decent lid. I'm a student and really can't afford something top of the line and there's only two or three place shere in Cork City that stock helmets I think so it's not like prices are being driven into the ground by competition either I would imagine!

Any tips on what to look for, places to go and what makes/models I should be asking about...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

check the new sharp ratings for helmets which the british goverment run. It offerssome insights on helmets. Not all the expensive ones did well but it only tests safety of the helmet not comfort etc and some producers are claiming the test is bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

check the new sharp ratings for helmets which the british goverment run. It offerssome insights on helmets. Not all the expensive ones did well but it only tests safety of the helmet not comfort etc and some producers are claiming the test is bias.

Was just reading in MCN that they used flawed data for the SHARP test. Still SHARP is better then nothing.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/september/15-21/sep1708-New-helmet-tests-flawed-/?&R=EPI-102967

Although this is a bit worrying.
    Why wearing top-name motorcycle helmet could cost you thousands

By Steve Farrell

Politics & the law

24 September 2008 17:35

Wearing a crash helmet which failed to score the maximum five stars in new safety tests could mean less compensation after a crash, according to experts.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/september/22-28/sep2408-helmet-sharp-rating-compensation/?&R=EPI-103104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,453 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Del2005 wrote: »

MCN alarmist as ever...

Logically (using that logic) if you would have walked away if you'd been in a car, they could get away with paying you no compo at all.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ninja900 wrote: »
    MCN alarmist as ever...

Logically (using that logic) if you would have walked away if you'd been in a car, they could get away with paying you no compo at all.

Yeah just remembered all their hype about the Highway code showing the biker with a white lid a few years ago and they said roughly the same:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

i have a few nitros there good helmets that are cheap but not aldi cheap :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Using a Nitro one right now actually but it's open face with visor.

To be honest, and especially as I am now wearing contact lenses, I'd feel safer in a full face lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

Fabio wrote: »
    Using a Nitro one right now actually but it's open face with visor.

To be honest, and especially as I am now wearing contact lenses, I'd feel safer in a full face lid.
    nitro do full face helmets as well call in to lee ask to see wat they have

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pay as much as you can afford. Expensive helmets are not just expensive because they look good, they usually have a better shell composition than the cheaper ones, and a better fit and finish. Buy full face in preference to openface. Look for EC2205 and maybe a gold ACU sticker. Consider the sharp tests, BUT they are only a test for impact on the shell and dont consider comfort, fit, noise, fastenings or anything really other than the ability to stop a sharp object. By next year most manufacturers will have copped how to get 5 stars anyway, and it will need progression.

Go for a brand thats well supported (rather than say, aldi) for the simple reason that if you need a visor or side clips, you can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Oryx wrote: »
    Pay as much as you can afford. Expensive helmets are not just expensive because they look good, they usually have a better shell composition than the cheaper ones, and a better fit and finish. Buy full face in preference to openface. Look for EC2205 and maybe a gold ACU sticker. Consider the sharp tests, BUT they are only a test for impact on the shell and dont consider comfort, fit, noise, fastenings or anything really other than the ability to stop a sharp object. By next year most manufacturers will have copped how to get 5 stars anyway, and it will need progression.

Go for a brand thats well supported (rather than say, aldi) for the simple reason that if you need a visor or side clips, you can get them.

ALL helmets sold in the EU MUST conform to ECE 22.05.

Wouldn't be too worried is helmet does not have the ACU gold sticker for a couple of reasons;
    1. It's only to show that the ACU approve that helmet for racing &
    2. It's discredited since the ACU confirmed that they had been selling the stickers to all and sundry without any checks.

If you can get to the UK / North then remember that helmets there are zero VAT rated. The £ is also low at the minute. So bargains to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Buy an Arai. You can get one fairly cheap.. there's an online shopI think it's www. thevisorshop .co.uk (If thats not it search for the visor shop)- it's in Northern Ireland, no VAT, orders over £50 have free delivery.Note on Arai; they make 700 euro ultra protection great helmets, but they also have a range on offer under 200, which are in general as safe and comfortable as the best they have. Just less air holes and not as cool looking etc - I've had MANY lids down the years, and in my experience nothing beats a good Arai lid. :)

• Advertisement

jim o doom wrote: »
    Buy an Arai.

Not if you're one of the people (I am one) that Arais just don't fit properly. People's heads vary in shape as well as size, and good fit is vital.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Not if you're one of the people (I am one) that Arais just don't fit properly. People's heads vary in shape as well as size, and good fit is vital.
    OT, but what shell Arai did you try? They have about five, of different shapes. Condor is probably the 'kindest' fit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Have a look in adverts.ie for second hand Arai and Shoei helmets etc, only buy 2nd hand if the lid is undamaged. Some bikers change their helmets out of boredom and let them off cheap, happy hunting.

macnab wrote: »
    Have a look in adverts.ie for second hand Arai and Shoei helmets etc, only buy 2nd hand if the lid is undamaged. Some bikers change their helmets out of boredom and let them off cheap, happy hunting.
    Id always disagree with buying any lid secondhand, and thats not cos Im in retail.:)

You dont know if its had any knocks (damage cant always be easily seen) and the lid will have bedded in to the shape of the previous owners head.

Also, you need to know how old the helmet is. With arai you can usually tell, but not with all makes.

OT, but what shell Arai did you try? They have about five, of different shapes. Condor is probably the 'kindest' fit. :)

They do different shell sizes and shapes all right, there were two shapes available in my size and neither fitted me. This was a few years ago. Shoeis fit me just fine though and I'm very happy with my XR1000 (my third Shoei) so no real point in switching.

Scrap the cap!

You dont know if its had any knocks (damage cant always be easily seen) and the lid will have bedded in to the shape of the previous owners head.

That's if the dandruff, dead hair and sweat doesn't put you off - yuck
    Also, you need to know how old the helmet is. With arai you can usually tell, but not with all makes.

There should be a sticker underneath the padding with the manufacturing date on it on all lids, afaik the safety standards require this.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

theres some good stuff on ebay, altough its recommended never to buy from uncertified sources. i got an arai for about 300, ill let u know how it is when i crash!!:D

Advertisement