Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedals for Fixie

Options
  • 25-09-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what typre pedals everyone uses on their fixies.

I'll be using it for my commute and general messing around on like going to the shops, bringing the kids to football etc. I don't want to get SPD-SL's.

So SPD's, toe clips or just ordinary pedals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I've heard so much harping on about the right pedals for fixies.. I run platforms, thinking about some bmx pedals with studs for good grip without toe straps/clips.

You're supposed to wear toe straps to stop your feet from slipping off (bit of a drama on a fixie) when you're riding, or clips to keep you bolted in, but I think these sometimes make matters worse! If I were flying through the air (touch wood) I don't think I'd wanna be strapped to my bike then..

The choice is yours, check out bikeforums.net in the SS/FG forum they're always going on about them!

I can see myself getting straps sometime in the future but not hugely pushed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Single sided spds are the easiest imo, but I do also like toe clips and straps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'm not sure whether to go the spd route. I understand their advantages but if I'm using it as described I don't want to have to change my shoes all the time. Are spd shoe's hard to walk on. The spd-sl are practically impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

SPDs for me, because that's what I use on all my other bikes. TBH I'd just go with what you are comfortable with on your other bikes but go SPD rather than SPD-SL if you want to walk off the bike.

I'd feel a bit dodgy on the fixie if I wasn't clipped in TBH and am pretty sure the clips have prevented me flying over the handlebars at least once. Disengaging from the pedal is a fair bit more risky on a fixie as the pedals have their own momentum. If your foot came off at a high RPM you could be fecked.

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether to go the spd route. I understand their advantages but if I'm using it as described I don't want to have to change my shoes all the time. Are spd shoe's hard to walk on. The spd-sl are practically impossible.
    It depends on the shoe but you can certainly get SPD shoes that are very walkable in. Even the extremely stiff soled ones will be more walkable than SPD-SL as the cleat is recessed.

• Advertisement

Wez wrote: »
    If I were flying through the air (touch wood) I don't think I'd wanna be strapped to my bike then..
    I have gone flying through the air while clipped in more than once, you sort of automatically come out I can assure you. I would go clipless over toe clips and straps- if used correctly with the straps good and tight toe clips are very difficult to get out of while clipless is just a flick of the ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Are spd shoe's hard to walk on. The spd-sl are practically impossible.

SPD shoes are grand to walk in. Unlike SL's, the cleat is recessed, so it allows you to walk normally. You'll get the odd pebble grinding against the cleat and stuff like that but that's about the height of any inconvenience.

I use wellgo spd's on my fixie (about €40 in cycleways). They're a double sided spd, so getting in and out of them is very straightforward. In my one and only spill my feet seemed to magically release themselves.

I'm thinking about switching back to spd on my roadbike, because at this stage I can't see any advantages to spd sl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I use plain old flat pedals on my Pista, came with the bike when it was delivered. As I'm only using it for a getaround bike I have no problems using them at all. Still haven't attached a brake to the bike but have been managing fine...I'd imagine clipless would help the slowing down process a lot but no incidents to report just yet! I'd eventually like to use the bike for training so will throw a pair of keo's onto it when I have the time and another cheapo bike to get from A to B on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I use plain old flat pedals on my Pista...Still haven't attached a brake

That's a bit disturbing to read :p. What sort of speed are you travelling at?

Morgan wrote: »

Let's just say I don't trundle around. I've managed to develop an ability to anticipate other road users' actions quite well, you could almost call me a cycling seer* I keep meaning to throw a brake onto it but never seem to get around to it. Funniest thing is the bike has a yellow hazard sign on the frame with 'No Brakes' in the middle. It isn't even a sticker - it's part of the paint job, always there to remind me that death is imminent :pac:

*(This does not extend to cars pulling out of driveways or pedestrians with a death wish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Morgan wrote: »

exactly what i was thinking. i could go without brakes or without spds, but both? nah thanks, would be tiptoeing around everywhere.

OP
    i have these but i'd get these if i was buying again. best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

niceonetom wrote: »
    i'd get these if i was buying again. best of both worlds.

Are they weighted so that the spd side is the 'default' side? ie, if in ordinary shoes you have to flip the pedal?

Like the look of them I must say.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Funniest thing is the bike has a yellow hazard sign on the frame with 'No Brakes' in the middle. It isn't even a sticker - it's part of the paint job, always there to remind me that death is imminent.

Got that on my Bianchi as well and was surprised to see that it was actually painted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

you made any progress towards making that concept road ready tonto?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    you made any progress towards making that concept road ready tonto?

Will probably come out of next month's pay cheque, but I'll have to see if I need to fork out for a couple of other things first, including possibly having to replace a perfectly good pair of pedals.

el tonto wrote: »
    Will probably come out of next month's pay cheque, but I'll have to see if I need to fork out for a couple of other things first, including possibly having to replace a perfectly good pair of pedals.

Have you posted up any photos of the bike so far?

Have you posted up any photos of the bike so far?

Images of Beauty sticky, page 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

I'm happy with clips and loose straps. Personally I think I would have had a major accident if I'd been on my SPDs whereas blorg thought SPDs would have made the recovery easier (discussed on another thread the other day). This was in my first week of riding fixed and I stopped pedaling at high speed. This wouldn't happen now so the point is moot and you should go easy at the beginning in any case.

At the end of the day it's about your confidence and practicality. I was rethinking this two nights ago and still came down on the side of clips for the fixie. Admittedly this is as much about wanting to ride it in any shoes I choose - if all my shoes were spds then I'd probably plump for SPDs at this stage for the fixie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I use clips and double straps like this..
    They're super comfortable, if a little pricey.
    338762422_304c1015f4.jpg?v=0

I used to use my Time ATACs but they're on my road bike now.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Sheldon Brown recommends using clips, as you can 'change gear' by moving your foot slightly forward or back on the pedal. I use SPDs.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

fish-head wrote: »
    I use clips and double straps like this..
    They're super comfortable, if a little pricey.
    338762422_304c1015f4.jpg?v=0

I used to use my Time ATACs but they're on my road bike now.

Where did you get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 polevault

I have always used these on my single speeds, and before this i had the red downhill ones from 2001-02. Brilliant. Used them with runners and cleated shoes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_DX_M647_Pedals/5360014723/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have these Shimano M520 pedals and these Shimano MT31 shoes for my commute.

Work a treat and for short 5 minute spins down to the shops I can use them just fine in my runners.

I have SPDs with those plastic yokes stuck on them so I can ride it in normal shoes (albeit with not a lot of grip in normal shoes.) SPDs with plastic yoke always leaves the SPD bit up so clipping in is easy. I have just noticed this morning though that I have managed to unscrew my lockring presumably with all my mad skidz so have to attend to that shortly :( Some parts when I had thought the bike was skidding, it was actually the cog unscrewing itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 drcopernicus

Still haven't attached a brake to the bike but have been managing fine.

To paraphrase Brendan Howlin TD, have you considered the appalling vista with which you would be faced should your chain come off or break, with your face traveling six or seven vertical feet above a 20 mph tarmac massage?

My first bike was a single speed fixie. When I was seven. My brother nicked it for an illicit ride one day, chain came off as he was hurtling towards a pebble-dashed wall. Poetic justice indeed.

Yeah, you really need at least a front brake if you are traveling at any speed, or if a descent of any sort might occur. And for emergency stops if someone walks in front of you, etc. Get a brake on it and head up the mountains (indeed two is handy if you are heading up the mountains.) Descending is as tough as ascending, it's great!

Advertisement