Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Subwoofer?

• 25-09-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking to buy a subwoofer. I have a budget of about 500 euro.
    I have an Onkyo 606 Amp and Scandyna Micropod speakers.

Can someone please recommend a sub and where i might get one in Ireland.
    I have noticed that it is difficult to get some of the brands here and alot of the UK sites don't deliver to Ireland.

Many Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Hi, Ireland is not the best country for buying things alright, i got a cheap used one on adverts.ie a while ago. Cloney audio have used ones sometimes, just had a look at there site and the only one is a b&w but its 900 though it is down from 1900 so would be a beast. A lot of people on the UK ebay will ship things over here if you ask them for a quote nicely, will be arounda 100 euro for the shipping but still might be able to get something good for less than buying it new here. Rel make good subs. Also home cinema choice's website is a good place for reviews but its kind of all over the place at the moment. Hope that is some use..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Try Superfi.co.uk they have very reasonable shipping rates to ireland

There is a store on ebay me and a few people have used, Hyperworld is the name, he's very reasonable, i bought my Kef Centre off him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

<SNIP>

This is the second time I've had to edit one of your posts for the same reason - this is not the place to be mentioning items for sale, directly or indirectly.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Maybe ring Richer Sounds in Belfast for their advice. They ship to R.O.I for 20GBP. Just got a TV from them and saved a packet and was very pleased with the service. Previously I got a 605 last year and couldn't fault them, they even price matched against prices in the UK.

Ritz - hope the above is ok. No connection to RS except for being a very happy customer.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    <SNIP>

This is the second time I've had to edit one of your posts for the same reason - this is not the place to be touting items for sale, directly or indirectly.

Ritz.

Oh genuinely sorry, I didn't see the other edited one and didn't think there was any harm in it. I'm not arguing the case but if we can recommend a shop stocking a particular model why not mention where I know a good one is at at a fair price. I know I know... forum rules. No deceit or scam intended... obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Slaphead07,

No deceit or scam intended... obviously.

I absolutely accept that, as would regular posters here, and hope you'll recognise that I wouldn't suggest anything of the sort.

Disagreements regarding opinions on AV topics is a regular and healthy feature of discourse here, but for my own part that has no bearing on my regard for peoples' good name. I've changed my edit of your post above - no pejorative suggestion was intended.

why not mention where I know a good one is at at a fair price.

The forum rules for this kind of thing are in place for a good reason - if someone wants to sell something on their own behalf or on behalf of someone else, most forums have specific rules about transparency (price stated up front, sale open to all, all offers on thread, etc until sale is agreed, and these forums need fairly intensive moderation to ensure that everything is above board. We have Adverts.ie for that and AV items change hands there regularly.

I understand the benign motive of your gesture on the thread, but we maintain a strong line on this one - people can recommend all the retailers they like and it's "caveat emptor" once the poster is dealing with a retailer, but if someone offers something for direct or indirect sale - the poster is then dealing through the forum. We are not running a For Sale forum.

Hope that makes things clear,

Ritz.

Yeah no problem. Just to be 100% clear then... would a link to an ad in adverts.ie (or any other online ad) be acceptable?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Just to be 100% clear then...
    .........would a link to an ad in adverts.ie (or any other online ad) be acceptable?

I'd prefer to stay clear of ads for sale here, if someone wants to say there's something for sale on Adverts in response to a direct request for help sourcing something specific, I'm ok with that provided they're not canvassing for their own sale. I've seen pointers to eBay which is as near as maybe to pointing someone in the direction of a retailer. I wouldn't like to see the place as a filter for links to other sites similar to our own - at the end of the day this is part of Boards, and we're trying to foster a community of similar interests in line with Boards general ethic.

As an over-riding principle, the mods here will decide issues as they see them at the time - apart from the charter, there isn't a "rule book" for every contingency, this is not a sport. If I see something in this vein that I don't like I'll shoot first and will need convincing later. I'd say that's 100% clear !

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    I'd say that's 100% clear !

Ritz.

Clear enough! ;)
    ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dbraiden

Thanks for the help guys:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement