Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Rash vest??

Options
  • 25-09-2008 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

My girlfriend gets freezing cold out in the sea even though she has a good winter suit.Poor circulation means she has to get out before she loses all the blood from her hands when she gets too cold.She's using a normal rash vest,just wondering should a thermal rash vest help with this and also should it be long sleeved or is it the core temp around the torso that really matters?

Are these any good,if so which?or any other suggestions welcome.Thanks!

neil-pryde-therm-short.jpg
    Neil Pryde Thermalite Rash Vest
    A snug layer designed to wick moisture away from the body and thus reduce wind-chill.
    With a Polypropylene lining the Thermalight jersey is extremely comfortable and can be used in conjunction with other garments as a thermal layering system

3000 SERIES FEATURES
    Flatlock
    Polypropylene
    U.V. protection SPF 50+
    4 way stretch CONSTRUCTION FEATURES
    Collar
    Tight fit
    Unrestricting underarm area
    Moisture Wicking

oneill-thermox-09.png
    O'Neill Thermo-X S/S Crew

PolyPro P2™ layering andPowerStretch® insulation. Whether you are using the Thermo-X or theThermo for insulation, or as an external layerfor UV protection, this series is built with ultimate performance in mind.

Features:

Crewneck
    Designed for Thermal Layering
    Flatloc Stitched: A breathable overlapping flat-stitched seam. Non-chafing and super durable.

Odor Resistant Material
    p2 Polyolefin: Thermal Layering. P2 fiber, a polyolefin' based material, transports moisture away from the body faster and more effectively than any other fiber. P2 is quick drying, abrasion resistant, odor resisant and heat retaining.

Wicks Away Moisture

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

These are good; def helps keep warm.
    Just wondering does it wetsuit fit her absolutely perfectly? if it s bit loose that could be the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

Her suit fits her perfectly,think i might get her one of these so.Should a short sleeved one be different to a long sleeved in terms of keeping heat/energy in,or would there be any noticeable difference?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Chicks are alway cold, hungry or 'not in the mood' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I have a long sleeve thermal rashguard and it certainly helps. You say her problem is with the hands though. Why not neoprene gloves? Cheaper as well :) in terms of solving the problem.

Hand and feet,the extremities really,when your core temp drops itll draw blood from these to keep the core warm,and due to her poor circulationits not good to have the blood away from these extremities for too long so keeping the core warmer for longer will prevent it taking the blood from the extremities,its not so much her hands getting cold if ya know what i mean,she doesnt even get "cold" just that she has to leave to avoid the fingers freezing over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

I just bought a sleeveless Alder one with a hood. It's one mil thick so presumably that's an extra 20% of thickness added to my 5/4.

A guy in wind and wave suggested to only use thin gloves as your hands will get cold anyway (I have 5 mm gloves) and with the thinner ones you've more flexibility.

Damn, forgot how cold it gets here in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

A thermal rash vest will help alot. I have a titanium lined one, its a short sleeve so is less restrictive. but in your girlfriends case I would advise in getting a long sleeve one with a hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Long sleeve ones are toasty!

Does anyone know would there be a difference in mens small and womens small size,Want to get the O'Niell rash vest above from KOW but there seems to be no womens Thermo-X so was wondering if she is size small will a mens small fit her?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I'd say it wouldnt fit her as well as it should. The womens rash vests are tapered at the waist and have allowances made for the chest.

It would probably be tight in some places, loose in others and have her chest squashed up under her neck :D

• Advertisement

Im gonna ring emand see what they say,thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Macanri wrote: »
    A thermal rash vest will help alot. I have a titanium lined one, its a short sleeve so is less restrictive. but in your girlfriends case I would advise in getting a long sleeve one with a hood.

Where and for how much could I pick up a thermal long sleeve reshvest?
    and is there anything for the lower regions too?

I have 3mil suit and I'd rather get something to put on underneath than buy a new wintersuit. I have hood and gloves but a heavier vest would help too later on in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Not sure where you can get them L, as mine were sent over from France as a gift :). I got thermal kneelenght shorts aswell and they are really effective under the suit.
    There is no way I would last in a 3mm suit in Winter :eek: even with the thermals. I have a 5mm suit over the thermals or I freeze.

I think I'd manage with the thermal vest and shorts, presuming they were 1mm I suppose, as someone mentioned earlier it's the extrematies that take the hit which I've covered but there's no way I'd last more than a 1/2 hr with a 3mm alone.
    I'm gonna have a look for 1mm vest and shorts for under 80euro, if anyone can help please do.

How much is an average 5mm suit these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I think I'd manage with the thermal vest and shorts, presuming they were 1mm I suppose, as someone mentioned earlier it's the extrematies that take the hit which I've covered but there's no way I'd last more than a 1/2 hr with a 3mm alone.
    I'm gonna have a look for 1mm vest and shorts for under 80euro, if anyone can help please do.

How much is an average 5mm suit these days?

I just got a 5mm o neill heat for 100e (not £), not many sizes left tho.
    there is one rip curl 5mm suit on that site for 79£ which is good value imo.

the size selection is small alright, prices do look reasonable though, I might have a look at a wintersuit if they're around the 100euro, better value than spending 80 on thermal undies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Garry17

Shane_O wrote: »
    Hand and feet,the extremities really,when your core temp drops itll draw blood from these to keep the core warm,and due to her poor circulationits not good to have the blood away from these extremities for too long so keeping the core warmer for longer will prevent it taking the blood from the extremities,its not so much her hands getting cold if ya know what i mean,she doesnt even get "cold" just that she has to leave to avoid the fingers freezing over.

Sounds like Raynaud's Disease. Have a look at this link

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433

There's a few pages there.

The US military experimented with this problem. They tried to trick the hypothalamus into not shutting down the extremities. They got soldiers to sit outside in the cold with very little on (clothes-wise) but with their hands and feet in buckets of hot water. It had varied success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

I also have poor enough circulation but have an integrated hood in my winter wetsuit, not getting gallons of the atlantic down my neck goes a long way to keeping me toasty. My rashie is usually fairly dry when I get out. I have 5mm gloves and apart from making it harder to carry my board comfortably I don't find they hinder me. Booties are a must!

She might want to get her iron levels checked at the gp as a lot of young women have undiagnosed anaemia which can, among other things make them really feel the cold. I take a top-up course of iron (one every second day) in winter and also take ginseng supplements if I find my circulation is getting poorer. Having a strong coffee about 30 minutes before getting in the water raises the heart rate thus getting a good blood supply into extremities.

I am the coldest blooded creature going and this regime keeps me happy in the water through winter, hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

iv terrible circulation in my hands and feet and have that reynard syndrome thinky what i wear is 3mm booties 5mm wetsuit normal rashie and 3mm gloves and dont feel the cold at all!! if u gave me a cold can of coke to hold my hand would be numb in like 20 sec!!:eek: have no probs surfing!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

elainee wrote: »
    iv terrible circulation in my hands and feet and have that reynard syndrome thinky what i wear is 3mm booties 5mm wetsuit normal rashie and 3mm gloves and dont feel the cold at all!! if u gave me a cold can of coke to hold my hand would be numb in like 20 sec!!:eek: have no probs surfing!!:)

IIRC you only started recently enough yes ? If so come back here and post that again in Jan/Feb :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

haha i know yeah!! you so right like!!ha:P

Well thats my 2 cents worth!! hehe

Advertisement