Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday party Ideas?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Its my daughters birthday in December and she has decided she wants to have her party at home... does anyone have any ideas for something different?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

a fairy and wizzards fancy dress party .... thats different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

My son's B'day is also in December and last year we had a bouncy castle. It was freezing cold and dark but we all left our coats on and the kids had a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

You dont say how old she will be.

There are certainly plenty of things you can do at a house party. I would sugest keeping the time still within the range you get at playcentres - so only having it for 2 to 2.5 hours.

Allow the kids a good 15-20 minutes to settle in before attempting to start anything organised with them. Then do some games, sit them around the table for grub, another few little games, free play time, then they can go home!!

Its easy to centre everything around a certain theme. This year my daughter went with "wizard of oz" as it is her favourite movie this year (she was 9). We made the invites together using yellow paper to make the road, then the kids all dressed up. They made their own wands, we did pin the heart on the tin man instead of the tail on the donkey, and they had to follow the yellow brick road to find "treasure".

I find www.familyfun.go.com great for party ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Depends on age, but a cookery/baking party. Make/decorate and eat pizza/fairy buns.

Craft - as its December, you could do Christmas crafts - make a tree decoration/card etc. This is a brilliant site.

TBH though, you really don't have to do anything "different". So many parties are in playcentres/cinemas or have entertainers/face-painters that a party at home with some old fashioned organised games and lots of free play can be a huge hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hey thank u for all the ideas so far, sorry I forgot to mention that she will be 8! I am seriously thinking of going the old fashioned route..just need to think of the kind of games that we would have played at parties when we were kids?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Pass the parcel
    Musical chairs - we sometimes use cushions on the floor (takes up less space)
    Musical shapes/statues - you just have to freeze when the music stops
    Walking races
    Duck Duck Goose

As SarahMc said so many of the parties are in playcentres that the kids love to just get together and play..to just be kids!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Go to your local DIY get two rolls of wall paper and in the pound shop you will get cheap markers, crayons, glitter, paint ect. Let the kids draw and make banners.

If she is a lttle old for this you can cheaply buy make and do sets like make jewellery, frames, moulds - there fun and keep them occupied - plus they have something nice to take home.

If thats a bit young and messy why noy a fancy dress themed disco, some chessy music and some cheap fairy lights set the atmosphere of a teenage disco and let them dance the day away :)

have fun...

Advertisement