Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truckers required to have safety mirrors

Options
  • 25-09-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0925/1222207744017.html

"HEAVY TRUCKS will have to be fitted with new safety mirrors from January 1st in a European Union-inspired move to cut deaths among pedestrians and cyclists who have been killed by truck drivers who simply could not see them."

About time. Crazy how such a small, but effective thing hasn't been implemented until now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

It is about time this was made mandatory! Also helps if cyclists be careful at junctions and dont try to pass trucks on the inside especially when they are indicating left, i see this so much it is scary.

Also having cycle boxes at the front of junctions where they are in a blindspot is crazy, i always park in this box to avoid such incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

gibo_ie wrote: »
    It is about time this was made mandatory! Also helps if cyclists be careful at junctions and dont try to pass trucks on the inside especially when they are indicating left, i see this so much it is scary.

Also having cycle boxes at the front of junctions where they are in a blindspot is crazy, i always park in this box to avoid such incidents.

Yes, some cyclist education wouldn't go astray alright. It would be nice to do it in schools, but schools can only teach so much

It's cringe worthy cycling through the city center and watching people go up the inside of trucks, buses, through red lights etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Simple rule - If you can't see the mirrors, the truck driver can't see you!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hermy wrote: »
    Simple rule - If you can't see the mirrors, the truck driver can't see you!
    I think that's a bad rule insofar as it insinuates that you are OK as long as you can see the mirrors. You are not; the driver may not check all the mirrors.

Simpler rule- never go up the inside of a HGV at a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm happy taking all of a cumulative minute longer on my commute and not going on the inside of trucks, buses, etc. but just taking up the lane behind them. I'm also a fan of sitting ahead of the traffic at certain junctions, not in the way of traffic, but just far enough ahead so that pretty much everyone knows I'm there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm happy taking all of a cumulative minute longer on my commute and not going on the inside of trucks, buses, etc. but just taking up the lane behind them. I'm also a fan of sitting ahead of the traffic at certain junctions, not in the way of traffic, but just far enough ahead so that pretty much everyone knows I'm there.

+1
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of cyclists in Dublin city centre that overtake buses and HGV on the inside or try to squeeze through gaps between buses that could close at any minute. Reminds me of stickers I saw on the back of a HGV once; there was one on the right door with an arrow pointing right that said 'RIGHT SIDE' and one on the other door pointing left which said 'SUICIDE'

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

London has had 2 cyclist deaths involving trucks in the last week. Very sad and very scary. Really brings home how important it is to be vigilant and patient.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23560105-details/Cyclist+killed+in+lorry+collision+is+the+second+victim+in+a+week/article.do

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Absolutly terrible despite all the Ken Livingston iniatives. I beleive the bendy buses are also a hugh hazard and seems responsible for many cyclist related accidents. I sent Minister Gormley and Cullen details of the free extra mirror for truck drivers scheme introduced by Ken Livingston earlier this year. I did'nt expect a reply-- and got none.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

being a truck mechanic i already think that all trucks by law have to have a mirrior were they can see the blind spot at the oppisite side to the driver i no all trucks that pass thru my workshops have them.its a bit stupid do goin up the nearside of a truck at a junction

Advertisement