Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford FocusTiming Belt Question

Options
  • 25-09-2008 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    My first post here so go easy on me!!
    I'm looking at buying a second hand Ford Focus 1.6. There is about 55,000 miles on it, its an 01. I asked the salesman was the timing belt done on it, and he said that with the focus, it doesn't need to be done for 100,000 miles or ten years. This true?
    Thanks
    Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It's true in theory but in practice the belt tensioner, which is made of a two parts, will shed it's plastic outer edge well before 100k miles. Happened at 137000 kms/8 years with my dad's '99 but luckily for him the part got jammed on the way down before it had time to fall between the crankshaft pulley and timing belt, and the engine was saved.

BTW, the timing belt still looked ok after all those kilometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yep 100k for the focus. Get it done before that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

quarryman wrote: »
    Yep 100k for the focus. Get it done before that though.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Thanks guys. Going to test drive it now. Will let you know how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Just be sure when you get it done that you have it done by someone who has the locking kit to do this timing belt, it's a floating crankshaft pulley set-up. I know of one guy who went at this and made a balls of it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

also as a guide, i was quoted €250 for a timing belt and water pump change on my 99 focus a while back.

Advertisement