Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the life span of a goldfish

Options
  • 25-09-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Got 2 goldfish in may 2000, unfortunately one lad died last christmas and just wondering what there average life span is?

Meant to say the other lad is still alive and well - havea small tank - no filtration etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I have heard of people having them for 20 years and some of them were in bowls their whole lives. However goldfish are not generally as strong as they once were, probably due to overbreeding, but I do still hear of ones that are 10 or 12 and still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Belatedly sorry to hear about your loss.
    It's hard to say. First of all, one doesn't really know the age of the fish when purchasing it. Secondly, it depends on the way it has been cared for before and while having it. The http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/beginnerinfo/a/lifespan.htm page mentions 10 to 30 years.
    One of my aunts-in-law kept one for 18 years in a small-ish aquarium without filtration ! :-O
    7 years isn't too bad I suppose ! :-)

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My parents bought goldfish before I was born for my sisters. I know that two of the goldfish are definitely still alive, and I just turned 21 :D. I'll ask my Dad to email the pictures he has of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I got two goldfish in 1996, one passed in 2004 and the second in 2006.
    My mum had a goldfish for 21 years! :eek:
    I think 8 - 10 years seems to be about average nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Ours are 10 years and counting, one of their sisters was always sick and died last year though, we were devastated - amazing how fond you can get of fish. I am sure that you looked after your fish well, that is the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

I got three in 1997. One died after 3 years, and another passed on 2 years ago. Petra was 11 last month though! Hav to say though, she's grown mighty big in the last few years(about 4 1/2" long and 3/4inch wide). Likes her food i guess! :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

The record for a goldfish is 48 years. The record for a Koi is 228 years.

Advertisement