Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish economy goes into recession "officially"

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Maybe Cowen should ask Bono or Bertie for some funds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

JP Liz wrote: »

Or Bertie could give Cowen a few nice tips on the horses and take the bookies to the cleaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

gurramok wrote: »
    I think what you should say is that people with real money as in savings and steady jobs should start splashing out to keep the rest of us afloat :D

No thanks.

the only splash out that I have had in recent weeks is my new bicycle, so that I no longer have to pay Luas and Fuel costs

JP Liz wrote: »

Not funds
    a "dig out"

As for wind: the winds that come up with the Gulf Stream are some of the most constant in the world. We should be exporting our energy reserves indeed.

Just thinking on the above.

What are the tidal forces like in deep water?

just wondering if it would be possible to have a sea anchored wind farm, that had tidal turbins under water

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just thinking on the above.

What are the tidal forces like in deep water?

just wondering if it would be possible to have a sea anchored wind farm, that had tidal turbins under water
    none worth talking about
    you would have to put a chain down to the sea bed and the area would be the size of the buoy.

tidal power stations are usually at the narrow part of a funnel shaped bay
    ( the pointy end of the triangle ) so you get the tidal force of a few square miles of water funneled into smaller area.

The tidal turbine at carlingford lock has a whole bay behind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Yay recession! Pack your bags, we're all going to America!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

SimpleSam06

You Sir, have vision. Unfortunately, those in power and the media have not, and never will. Those suggestions you made will never happen, instead we will descend into the ****. Brian Cowen if you're reading this, take note. Maybe if politicians thought long term, maybe if the media helped... Alas, they havent the brains.

There is no solution for Ireland. Just leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

It makes a fair amount of sense to test this idea, if it worked it would be a massive benefit to Ireland and the world as a whole. Test it and see if it works. I personally believe nuclear power is the best option to get thru the greenhouse crunch of the next century worldwide (we conveniently ignore we are one of the worst greenhouse polluters per head in Europe at the moment), however since Irish people won't go over being the pampered and supposedly environmentally conscious lot that they are this type of idea should be pursued properly.
    Atlantic storms are very powerful though, you'd have to some serious equipment and a big scale and support support operation to make it worthwhile economically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

You Sir, have vision. Unfortunately, those in power and the media have not, and never will. Those suggestions you made will never happen, instead we will descend into the ****.
    Many thanks, as for change, when people are well fed and relatively wealthy, things are difficult to change. Over the coming few years I expect things to get considerably worse, exposing a generation to hardship that has never known it. Then change has an opportunity. Not much of one mind you, but there will be a window.
    maninasia wrote: »
    Test it and see if it works.
    Honestly, I can see no difficulties with the technical end of things, at least none that cannot be overcome. Its just piecing together existing technologies. The problem with some or most of the current efforts is they are piecing together the wrong technologies. :D
    I personally believe nuclear power is the best option to get thru the greenhouse crunch of the next century worldwide (we conveniently ignore we are one of the worst greenhouse polluters per head in Europe at the moment), however since Irish people won't go over being the pampered and supposedly environmentally conscious lot that they are this type of idea should be pursued properly.
    Well if you have €40 million knocking around, let me know. I'm trying to gather investment for the idea at the moment, and have contacted the bones of a good development team, who have expressed tremendous interest in the idea. Money is thin on the ground at the moment unfortunately. Onwards and upwards, I guess.
    Atlantic storms are very powerful though, you'd have to some serious equipment and a big scale and support support operation to make it worthwhile economically.
    Less than you might think - ships routinely sail through heavy weather on the Atlantic these days, the biggest problem there is overtrip, when the wind goes too fast. The traditional response is to lock the vanes, but I think we can do a bit better than that. Keep a few of them in dock and tow them out when they malfunction, then bring back the broken unit for repair. Its easy to do, with enough momentum behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Over the coming few years I expect things to get considerably worse
    Aw Sam... you're Boards.ie's resident George Lee :(

Dudess wrote: »
    Aw Sam... you're Boards.ie's resident George Lee :(
    Heh, I am no journalist. However you can't deal effectively with problems until you know their full extent, so I'm not shy about looking them square in the eye. You don't treat cancer with aspirin. It might not suit everyone's stomach, but I'm not bothered by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Heh, I am no journalist.
    I'm referring more to the doom prophecising... ;)

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm referring more to the doom prophecising... ;)
    Thats the problem we need to know the full extent of. ;) Also unlike Mr Lee, I am proposing solid solutions to not only get the best out of it, but to hopefully put us in a better situation for the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I can't get a job in Ireland because the HSE still has 'job ceiling' in place ..this is instead of a 'recruitment freeze'.

Im looking into moving to the UK (im a health professional).

Lots of my friends have been asked to work extra hours with no extra pay...

Advertisement