Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dont go with o2 broadband

Options
  • 25-09-2008 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I have just had a realy bad experiance with o2 broadband. used the service for few months was unhappy with the service, not much better than clearwire. rang up o2 explained they told me to bring the modem back to the shop i got it from. The shop told me they don't normaly take them in but they did.The shop told me i would have to ring o2 to cance thel service. I rang o2 who told me I would have to send them an email to cancel the service, I was given a email address and I promply sent them an email asking them to cancel the service. month later recieved a bill from o2 they had not canceled my service. I rang again was told the same as the first time , I would have to send an email to cancel the service was given a new email address to send to. I did this. today got bill again charging me for the service for last month. rang ulster bank to try and cancel the o2 direct debit from my bank was told they can not do this. so what i am supposed to do now i don't know. maybe i will have to close my bank account. I did have an o2 phone have thrown the chip in the bid gone with vodafone. can anyone help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

go back to your bank and cancel the DD. Threaten to close your account and ask them then how will they manage to keep DD's going

If you want to cancel a direct debit

In the direct debit you have authorised your bank to pay amounts from your account. Accordingly, if you want to cancel, you should notify your own bank. It is a good idea to also notify the payee also.

If the Direct Debit relates to monthly subscriptions of an annual contract (the typical case is your gym subscription) the payee may tell you that you cannot cancel the Direct Debit. This is not correct - you can cancel. But if you do, you may find that you are still liable for payments under your annual contract, and the payee may chase you for payment by another means.

From www.ipso.com
    The Rights of the Payer

A Direct Debit Guarantee is provided by the Payer’s Bank in the following form:

If you authorise payment by Direct Debit, the Originator will notify you in advance of the amounts to be debited to your account.

Your Bank will accept and pay such debits, provided that your account has sufficient available funds

If it is established that an unauthorised Direct Debit was charged to your account, you are guaranteed a prompt refund by your Bank of the amount so charged.

You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your Bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

sent off four emails to o2 today. got a response few hours later. saying that there was a record of my contact and wishes to cancel the service, but that the email they needed to cancel the service never arrived. I told them i had copys of the emails sent they assured me that the service was now canceled Hope i get a refund for the months I was charged when i did not have the modem.

no point ringing ulster bank to cancel the direct debit they told me they cant do it. moved address a year ago and notified them of my change of address. a year later i still have no statment from them dispite having rang them three times. they are a wast of space. plane to move bank shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ulster Bank are lying to you, they must cancel the DD at your request and cannot refuse to do so as that is a breach of the IPSO rules. Close the acc as soon as you can and make sure you tell them why, rubbish service deserves to be punished.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

lm7 wrote: »
    no point ringing ulster bank to cancel the direct debit they told me they cant do it. moved address a year ago and notified them of my change of address. a year later i still have no statment from them dispite having rang them three times. they are a wast of space. plane to move bank shortly

They might not be able to cancel it over the phone, but they certainly can if you put it in writing. Also, on the change of address, it's ridiculous that they haven't updated this for you, or sent you an account statement. Get on the the Financial Regulator about their behavior, and also move banks.

Do keep trying to cancel that direct debit too because if you don't O2 could keep charging you. If they don't refund the money for the months you were without service, use the Small Claims Court, it only costs €7 or €9, can't remember which.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i had the same problem with a DD I had on my PTSB account for BT. cancelled it 3 times and BT promptly re-issued it without my authorisation and the bank repeatedly told me they could do nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

o2 are excellent. I have had dial-up for 5 yrs on the trot here in the sticks. This summer I gambled, got the phone line cut off and a month later signed up with o2 and this is what the net is all about. Smooth surfing and fast downloads. All cos of o2 and for just 20 euro a month.
    O.k, I'm off to download a movie. ZZZZZZZzoooooooommmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Earthnohow

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    o2 are excellent. I have had dial-up for 5 yrs on the trot here in the sticks. This summer I gambled, got the phone line cut off and a month later signed up with o2 and this is what the net is all about. Smooth surfing and fast downloads. All cos of o2 and for just 20 euro a month.
    O.k, I'm off to download a movie. ZZZZZZZzoooooooommmmmm

O2 and their side kicks Vodafone are just another mismanaged money grabbing lot, cashing in on the "High Tech" gravy train. Pulling out of this country is simply not an option and this "government" will allow them full reign to keep them here. Until this country (You & Me)wake up to those facts and simply boycott their products, will they keep on fooling us. They have become so greedy now that they no longer fear reprisals from such acts as, misleading advertising and claiming "they were not notified", ad nausea.

My son started college recently and came home excited with the O2 offer of Broadband at a special rate for students. Just to hear that 98% of the country was now covered by their EDGE BB service, was for us a final break through in the long awaited struggle to gain access to 20th century Internet, never mind the 21st.
    We made sure that the coverage map was not a mirage and phoned up O2. "No problem at all", in fact they could not speak highly enough about their EDGE coverage, quoting outrageous signal strengths from one or two of their EDGE customers.
    Having made the long journey to our nearest O2 outlet (20km) away, to be told that our area was not covered by this EDGE broadband service, we headed over to Vodafone's outlet. They told us the exact opposite and promptly sold us their modem device on approval for €100.0 deposit.
    We arrived home to find the device giving no more than the bogband standard of 56-60K connection that we have had to endure for well over 10 years now.

Promptly returning the device to Vodafone we now await a new arrival, that of our deposit by cheque any day now.....so don't let me hear you people winging on about the broadband service you have to put up with in your area. Just remember that you only have that service because some greedy little person has cashed in on a lucrative head count assembly and not because they want Ireland as a nation competing on a level playing field with the rest of "THE WORLD". They keep flogging us that old chestnut over the air waves, like we only just arrived by boat.
    Not until they run out of customers in denser populated areas will they come running to us forgotten lot. More competition will not suffice, not in these uncertain times as those small little greedy men fall by the way side.

I am about to throw in the towel, of ever getting a digital exchange in my area. I have just cancelled my land line service and feel better already. I can no longer justify paying so much money for an appalling stone age phone line that was once the very reason I moved further away from Dublin. I now live a mere 35 miles from the city centre and would not for the world change that, so please do not feel any pity for my Internet predicament. Just remember those hundreds of thousands of rural Irish that would be more than delighted to get on board of a poor BB service if only the train would stop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vibe666 wrote: »
    i had the same problem with a DD I had on my PTSB account for BT. cancelled it 3 times and BT promptly re-issued it without my authorisation and the bank repeatedly told me they could do nothing about it.

That is absolutely absurd. What bank was this?

(For my regular readers:) This is a perfect example of the nonsense attached to the direct debit system which according to IPSO never had any problems!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RTE

I have just had a realy bad experiance with o2 broadband. used the service for few months was unhappy with the service, not much better than clearwire. rang up o2 explained they told me to bring the modem back to the shop i got it from. The shop told me they don't normaly take them in but they did.The shop told me i would have to ring o2 to cance thel service. I rang o2 who told me I would have to send them an email to cancel the service, I was given a email address and I promply sent them an email asking them to cancel the service. month later recieved a bill from o2 they had not canceled my service. I rang again was told the same as the first time , I would have to send an email to cancel the service was given a new email address to send to. I did this. today got bill again charging me for the service for last month. rang ulster bank to try and cancel the o2 direct debit from my bank was told they can not do this. so what i am supposed to do now i don't know. maybe i will have to close my bank account. I did have an o2 phone have thrown the chip in the bid gone with vodafone. can anyone help
    sent off four emails to o2 today. got a response few hours later. saying that there was a record of my contact and wishes to cancel the service, but that the email they needed to cancel the service never arrived. I told them i had copys of the emails sent they assured me that the service was now canceled Hope i get a refund for the months I was charged when i did not have the modem.

Hello Im7,

I'm a researcher for RTE current affairs and would like to speak with you in regards to your customer service experience with O2 and Ulster bank when inquiring about canceling your direct debit with O2.

If you would be interested in speaking with me you can contact me at consumer.response@rte.ie. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
    Claudia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RTE

vibe666 wrote: »

Hello vibe666,

I'm a researcher with RTE current affairs and would like to speak with you about your experience with PTSB when you attempted to cancel your direct debit for BT.

If you are interested in speaking with me, please contact me in confidence at consumer.response@rte.ie. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
    Claudia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I tried o2 mobile broadband months ago; couldn't get a signal where I lived and cancelled it within the 30 day no quibble return period. They charged me for 2 months and debited my account. Still no response or refund from them. DD cancelled.

Then I tried vodafone. It was poor too and again I cancelled within the no quibble period. This time they bizarrely demanded a 100 euro deposit to open an account (Maybe o2 told them my credit was bad). Cancelled it weeks ago and still no response from them or return of my deposit.

So yeah I agree - avoid these two companies entirely. Annoying fukcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

Agree 100% with OP. I signed up for o2 BB at the start of the year on a 30 day "trial" to try to avoid getting in a phone line. Paid about a 100 euros to purchase the USB modem. Brought it back within the 30 days (always dial-up speeds), kept the modem and grudgingly took a 100 Euro hit on it, assured it was cancelled, no hard feelings, then forgot about it.Until last month when I noticed "o2 communications" for E30 p/m Direct Debit on my statement.Cancelled the DD no problems, but wanted my money back, was the guts of E250.Almost impossible to cancel, especially with the smug sales clerk in the store.Not only would they not cancel it, they were going to keep billing me, because I hadn't returned the modem ( now lost ), which I would have preferred to do in the 1st place.Anyways, only got something done when I threatened to contact Comregmail: Customer.Care@o2.ie,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a reminder if you are having problems with direct debits it is worth contacting www.ipso.ie they are the people who are responsible for the direct debit scheme.

And another reminder the proper way under the direct debit system to cancel a direct debit is to instruct your bank to do so. It is wise to inform the company also but it is not required under the scheme. The bank cannot refuse to cancel a direct debit. Remind them that the dd is nothing more than a particular way to pay a bill and the relationship between you and the biller has nothing whatsoever to do with the bank. Their job is to protect your money (with Govt help these days!)

The dd scheme can found on www.ipso.ie

Advertisement