Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this counts as spam? I got an email the other day on the UL email saying I'd been signed up to the Language Support VLE Sulis site. Since then I keep getting emails every time something new is posted. All the 'topics' are the same 'Irish students looking for German native speaker', 'Irish students looking for Spanish native speaker'.

It's really annoying me for a number of reasons. First off, I never asked to be signed up to this Sulis site but because I study a language it appears to have been done automatically. Like I said, all the topics are seeking German, Spanish, French etc. students but I study Irish so it has absolutely no relevance to me and I'm not interested at all. I've been getting two or three emails from this a day and it's bugging me. It might not seem like a lot but I didn't ask for it so I don't want it. So, is it spam? And can I delete myself from the Sulis site?

Edit: I just logged in and to be fair, they do have a section for people to discuss Irish and get hints and tips etc. but I still do not want to be receiving emails about Language exchanges that don't relate to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Yep it's spam, is there any option in Sulis that allows you to change your preference for how often it sends you mails? E.g. like on boards if you subscribe to a thread you can choose to have it email you every time there's a new post or get a weekly digest of all the new posts or not be emailed at all.

If not I'd suggest maybe creating a sub folder in Outlook and creating a filter that diverts all of this mail into that sub folder as a temporary solution.

Edit: I used to be able to login to Sulis but not any more....meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i think you have to be signed up to sulis by your lecturer so they probably intend on putting up course work etc on the site so its probably not a good idea to send all of it to a spam folder without asking your lecturer first

personally i dont get peoples obsessions with some spam its not like its advertisements after advertisement (on the college account im talking about now) just click one button and its gone

edit; if anyone knows how i can forward my ul mail to either my gmail or to thunderbird i tried taking the info i need from the outlook step by step guide but it wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

IIRC, when I used Sulis in 2nd year there was an opt in for certain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ok thanks, I'll take a look for ways to opt out now. I received 8 emails today and nearly deleted an email from my FYP adviser in the middle of them, it's a joke. It wasn't a lecturer who signed me up for it, it was the LRA. As a language student I automatically get everything the LRA sends out, regardless of whether it has to do with Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese - all of which have no relevance to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As a matter of interest, I emailed Gordon Young of ITD this evening regarding 4 emails sent to the all students list this week, expressing my dissatisfaction. He's going to look into curtailing the nu,ber of staff it's available to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ninty9er wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, I emailed Gordon Young of ITD this evening regarding 4 emails sent to the all students list this week, expressing my dissatisfaction. He's going to look into curtailing the nu,ber of staff it's available to.
    As you know Derek, that was done last year and access was withdrawn from all staff except a small few. I had to apply to successfully get user rights to email all students. It appears (though I can't be sure) that the right has been extended to all staff again as, for example, the ICO are again sending spam to the all students list and pretending it's not spam.

My solution from last year is still my position - a very small number of people should have access (there's a post somewhere here from me about it and I gave over an An Focal editorial to it) and the vast majority shouldn't.

The second solution, as suggested by Gordon, is to use RSS feeds, whereby you only get the feeds to which you subscribe. Given that the staff lists are currently littered with emails from people who presumably can't read but somehow can type and want to rent out their houses, pimp hair salons owned by their friends and so on, I've no doubt that a small but significant number of staff members would simply go for the list with the biggest distribution, regardless of its intended purpose.

We're obviously dealing with idiots here at times, they have to be treated as such. Block sending rights from the entire list except those who really need it. Stop backing off and giving sending rights back to the zoo members and the small number with access under such a system should do what I did with people who called in to me last year wondering if I could spam students on their behalf: tell them all to sod off.

That way no-one either ignores their student account or almost accidentally deletes important emails from their FYP supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm assuming that nothing's been done with regard to curtailing access by anyone based on the amount of "OMG, I NEEDS The RESPONSES FOR MY FYP" emails that have been sent out by staff recently. A stick in the eye would be too good for some of them.

Advertisement