Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Nutgrove, Rathfarnham area like to live?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am moving into a house beside nutgrove shopping centre,Up meadow park side of the shopping centre. I have lived in Clonskeagh for 2 years. Just wondering what the Nutgrove area is like to live. Is it safe at night? Is the 16 bus any good or would I be better driving to the luas and getting on. I have a space where I always park for the luas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I see a bunch of 16's when I'm waiting for the 17 (which is all the time) so it seems to service the area quite well, The areas is safe enough from what I've seen, the closer you get to rathfarnham, the better, some of the older estates closer to the dundrum end of nutgrove seem a little rougher but I've never experienced any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

There's only one dodgy place really that's just next to the shopping centre. Can't remember what it's called. Like The Hitcher said, it's grand most of the time especially around the Rathfarnham area. Buses are frequent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

16 is a grand and frequent bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

live pretty much in that part myself op, but not in meadow park. Been here for over 2 years, very handy to have the 24 hr tesco right beside you. Not sure if there are still problems in meadow park itself. There was "one of those" familys there but havent heard of problems recently. You get the usual amont of the tracksuit types around the shopping center and occasionally drinking in the park. But i have never had any problems they even say please when trying to bum a smoke off me :D, i have never felt unsafe in the area. The dodgey area referred to earlier i think might be the loretto park estate on the other side of the shopping center, but again its a million times better than many other parts of the city we could all think of.

The area has a lot more in term's of shops etc than clonskeage does and is a 20 minute walk or so from dundrum town center.

As for Busses the 16a will take you into town in around 40 minutes depending on traffic, or if you go up to the roundabout there @ the junction with barton road east. you can get either of the 14's to town, also the 14a would get you to the windy arbor luas stop on under 10 minutes or the dundrum stop in the other direction but that would take over 20 minutes in traffic.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you wish op as i dont really check this part of boards very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm from Loreto, my parents still live there. The area is ok and is as safe as anywhere in Rathfarnham. You've got Nutgrove SC and an Aldi, a great chip shop (Silvio's), and decent bus services as already mentioned. No decent bars, unless you go to Rathfarnham Village or maybe the Glenside (haven't been there in years!).

Mountain View is considered a rough part, but in the last few years that's quietened down a fair bit too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I think theres a free bus to the luas station from the back of nutgrove or thereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Lived on Nutgrove Avenue for a year, never had any problems! +1 to Silvio's being the best chip shop around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

elmyra wrote: »
    Lived on Nutgrove Avenue for a year, never had any problems! +1 to Silvio's being the best chip shop around!

/ gets coat and goes to Silvios :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What's this about the 16? It's not grand and frequent! It's every 20 minutes and sometimes it's very late or uust doesn't bother coming. At least the 16a goes past nutgrove so you'll likely get a bus every 10 mins or so between it and the 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

If you were but a few years older Piste, you'd know that every 20minutes is amazing!

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Piste wrote: »
    What's this about the 16? It's not grand and frequent! It's every 20 minutes and sometimes it's very late or uust doesn't bother coming. At least the 16a goes past nutgrove so you'll likely get a bus every 10 mins or so between it and the 16.

I understand that there is a review of the 16/16A ongoing, which I would suspect lead to (at the southern end) a greater number of buses serving Grange Road and Kingston than to Nutgrove. The new schedule should improve reliability as well, which is something these routes suffer from due to traffic congestion en route.

The 14/14A serve the rear of Meadow park every 10-15 minutes in the morning and evening peak and on average every 15-20 minutes off-peak during the day and are very reliable. The 14a is probably the faster route to/from the city of all the buses. It also passes Windy Arbour LUAS stop.

There is no free LUAS shuttle bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I find the 14 faster than the 14A for coming home from town. The 14A invariably gets stuck on the Lower Churchtown Road turning right onto the Upper Churchtown Road.

Advertisement