Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op Fees?

Options
  • 25-09-2008 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just had an interesting discussion with a friend of mine.
    He's adamant that since we aren't in college during co-op, that UL shouldn't be charging us the same as if we were on campus.
    I think they're perfectly entitled to, since we are still students on their books and they are providing the great opportunity.
    But as I said, he's just as adamant that they have no right to.
    :confused:
    Just wondering what people here think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

you're still doing your course so they have every right to charge fees. you're still getting an education, just outside the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

And they still have to send someone out to visit you on co-op etc.

So it's only fair that they charge you. I presume if you were a non european student you'd have to pay full fees...wouldn't be such a good deal, after working for 8-months you'd probably still come out owing someone money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

digiking wrote: »
    And they still have to send someone out to visit you on co-op etc.

So it's only fair that they charge you. I presume if you were a non european student you'd have to pay full fees...wouldn't be such a good deal, after working for 8-months you'd probably still come out owing someone money.

I'm not sure, but I think you'd only pay for one module (i.e whatever the fees for the year are divided by 10/12 depending on the course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

I actually got a booklet from the collegeg there regarding the leonardo grant a few days ago with a list of what is expected of us and what we can expect. anyway, under one of the bullet points of what we can expect, it says something along the lines of; "erasmus and coop students are not expected to pay fees for the time thay have not spent at the college"...

it's at home at the moment, but ill bring it in and scan it tomorrow.

righto, sorry for quality, but this is a scan of the booklet I got from the coop office in an information pack while here in germany on placement.

2.jpg

which says;

As an Erasmus student, you are entitled to expect:
    • Not to have to pay fees to your host university for tuition, registration,examinations,access to laboritory and library facilities during your Erasmus studies.

also, On coop you are an erasmus student,

1.jpg

"The status of "Erasmus student" applies to students who satisfy the Erasmus eligibility criteria and who have been selected by their university to spend an erasmus period abroad - either studying at an eligable partner university or carrying out a placement in an enterprise or other appropriate organistaion."

HOWEVER.....it says "Not to have to pay fees to your host university"....this could be taken either way. as in to the university you are on placement with, but to be perfectly honest; it reads as UL to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

its pretty clear that it means not to the university you are going to and also coop isnt necessarily abroad so its not an erasmus thing

PeakOutput wrote: »
    its pretty clear that it means not to the university

ya, thats why I underlined and emphasised that point.
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    also coop isnt necessarily abroad so its not an erasmus thing

eh?...:confused:

anywho, Im just putting the facts forward as UL points them out. Just trying to help out the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

maybe i misunderstood but you said you read it as not having to pay fees to ul

and i wasnt trying to challenge you or give out or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

I'd have to agree with peak. It reads as though your coop would have to be abroad for you to be classified as an erasmus student and hence pay no fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

But it says that you don't have to pay fees to the 'host' university. That's not UL, that's the University that you're spending the semester in. Presumably, you still have to pay fees and the student who comes to UL in your place pays fees to their university, so that their fees cover you and vice versa.

• Advertisement

Polar Ice wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with peak. It reads as though your coop would have to be abroad for you to be classified as an erasmus student and hence pay no fees

ah, but you see im in germany, i was only thinking about myself. :)
    But it says that you don't have to pay fees to the 'host' university. That's not UL, that's the University that you're spending the semester in. Presumably, you still have to pay fees and the student who comes to UL in your place pays fees to their university, so that their fees cover you and vice versa.

and yes, unfortunatly it say "host university"....which mucks it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

and yes, unfortunatly it say "host university"....which mucks it up a bit

That's certainly why they wrote it that way.

Advertisement