Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Different Car For My Test.

Options
  • 25-09-2008 3:29pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Went for a lesson today and it turns out I cant use my car for the test due to the tinted windows?

So looks like I will have to use my mothers car. I would normally go "Thats fine I will put my name on her car" but her insurence wont let anyone under 25 go under as a named driver.

So what can I do? (The test is on the 29th of oct.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

When you say tinted windows, is it an after market job? the car cannot have passenger and driver side windows to be tinted, although it would depend on the tint, and whether it was after market or not. Are they blacked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 -dmo7-

Pictures may be necessary.

Aslong as the front driver side and front passanger side aswell as front windscreen arn't done you should be fine.

You could also consider using your driving instructors car, this may be the more expensive option however.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 -dmo7-

You could also consider using your driving instructors car, this may be the more expensive option however.

True but I would definetly reccomend doing it in a car your confortable with. If you do choose this route make sure you get plenty of practice in it before ahnd, getting used to gearchanges and the such. I was quoted 250 euro to use my instructors car. It ain't cheap!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Ya Im gonna consider using an instructers car. I'll check that out.
    Its just as you know you get used to your own car etc. Its the hassle of getting used to another car after driving it a few times only.
    When you say tinted windows, is it an after market job? the car cannot have passenger and driver side windows to be tinted, although it would depend on the tint, and whether it was after market or not. Are they blacked out?

Ya its after market. Unfortunly the passenger side is tinted lightly and none on the drivers side.

The back 3 windows are tinted but not blacked out. You can still see thru them pretty easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

In Ireland there are no specific specifications laid down in law regarding the percentage of light allowed/blocked by tinting.

Just comes under general catch-all of obscuring vision.

The criteria that the examiners normally use is if "They can see the driver" then OK.

Best bet, drop into the test center and try and catch an examiner at quiet period and ask him nicely what he thinks.

TBH yours sound OK.
    I was quoted 250 euro to use my instructors car. It ain't cheap!
    Sounds exorbitant, thought two hour tuition fee the norm.

^Hmm I might give a shout back tomoro.

I would take a few pics to show ye but cars at the garage so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wicklow eoin

have you brought the car to the test centre and ask the testers, if the car has passed an nct the testers can not refuse to take you out on the test in your own car, on the other hand you could just transfer your insurance onto your mothers car for the day of the test

have you brought the car to the test centre and ask the testers, if the car has passed an nct the testers can not refuse to take you out on the test in your own car, on the other hand you could just transfer your insurance onto your mothers car for the day of the test

That is not true. Something may have happened/been changed on the car since the NCT test was completed. So it is at the discretion of the Examiner to decide whether it complies or not.
    Here's some of the guidelines for the roadworthiness of a vehicle.

Taken from The Final Checks Before your Driving Test document from the RSA
    The vehicle must be in a roadworthy condition at the time of the test. Specifically:
    Tyres should, upon visible inspection, comply with Road Traffic Acts requirements (minimum
    tyre tread depth requirement is currently 1.6mm for a motorcar),
    b) Loads should be properly secured; loose objects inside the vehicle such as screwdrivers, knives,
    gas bottles etc. must be secured prior to commencing the drive. You may not carry passengers
    or pets while undergoing the test,
    c) The windscreen should be clean and free from visual obstructions, including excessive cracks. In
    addition, the windows of the vehicle must not be unduly tinted,

d) The seat belt on the tester’s side should be fitted and in good working order,
    e) The passenger door on the tester’s side should be working properly and, in particular, should be
    possible to open from the inside as well as the outside,
    f) The suspension should not be defective,
    g) The brake and indicator lights should be tested to ensure they are working efficiently. All indicator
    lights should be clearly showing amber.
    h) The handbrake should be in good working order,
    i) Your test will not be conducted/completed, as appropriate, if any system warning light comes
    on during the test.
    j) There should be no leakage, into the vehicle, of exhaust fumes.
    k) Where seats are designed to hold head restraints, these restraints must be in place on the day
    of the test,
    l) As vehicles presented for a driving test are regarded as an enclosed workspace, all vehicles must
    be smoke free in accordance with the Public Health (Tobacco) Act, 2004. As this Act also covers
    environmental tobacco smoke, test candidates are requested to refrain from smoking in the
    vehicle prior to the driving test,
    m) Other - there may, in exceptional circumstances, be other defects that would lead a tester to
    conclude on health and safety grounds that the test vehicle was not in a sufficiently roadworthy
    condition to conduct the test.

i could argue every single point with you, because its not all black or white. the engine warning light MUST be red too not proceed with a test, They tell you the car must be taxed but if the tax is out of date they cannot stop a test going ahead, There is no mark on the test if a candidate forget to put on there seat belt (i.e for example after the reverse). i know off two instances that refusal to conduct the test because of tinted windows, were over turned by the district court, both cases were in finglas test center. I've had guys coming to me before tests asking about tinted windows, as i suggested to rhcp go and ask the testers if they believe it is ok for the test

• Advertisement

the engine warning light MUST be red too not proceed with a test

I dont know what car you drive, but my engine warning light only has one colour.
    They tell you the car must be taxed but if the tax is out of date they cannot stop a test going ahead,

Quoted from the RSA document you receive with your test date. Entitled "Final Checks Before your Driving Test"
    The following must be displayed on your vehicle:
    1) Current valid motor tax disc and insurance disc.
    2) NCT disc - vehicles obliged to undergo the National Car Test will not be taken for test if not
    displaying the appropriate disc.
    There is no mark on the test if a candidate forget to put on there seat belt (i.e for example after the reverse).

The only time the candidate is permitted to remove their seatbelt would be during the reverse around the corner manoeuvre. Failure to re-apply the seat belt would result in an immediate grade 3 fault. It is a fixed penalty offense under Irish Law and is considered, Dangerous, or potentially dangerous
    i know off two instances that refusal to conduct the test because of tinted windows, were over turned by the district court, both cases were in finglas test center.

All this would achieve would be a free re-test, it would not "over rule" the result of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

if the tax is out of date they cannot stop a test going ahead, There is no mark on the test if a candidate forget to put on there seat belt (i.e for example after the reverse).
    It is a legal requirement to have a valid tax disc displayed if a vehicle (other than an exempted vehicle) is on a public road. Why on earth do you think an examiner would permit a candidate to do something illegal without penalty.

Same for the seatbelt - it's an automatic failure! It doesn't have to be on the report sheet as it's illegal anyway.

i know off two instances that refusal to conduct the test because of tinted windows, were over turned by the district court
    That's a totally different scenario. As has been said, there is no specific legislation governing the degree of tint permitted - hence the room for difference of opinion and legal action.
    All this would achieve would be a free re-test, it would not "over rule" the result of the test.
    Test abandoned rather than failure! ;)

guys you say its an automatic fail for no seat belt, i asked what is it marked under?????? that's because there isn't a mark for it, so its not a automatic grade 3 fail. as for the the motor tax, its does say you need it in the final checks but they can not stop a test because you don't have it, they used too, but are not allowed now because of a district court desicion. they wont do a test with no nct because the car is not roadworhty without it, so its health and safety issue, Thats also why they check the brake lights and indicators, a test that is abandoned or not completed in most cases (there are a few exceptions to this rule for the reason of other people safety as the person is just dangerous) the applicant is intitled to a free test.

And you are correct to say the district court can only offer you a re-test, But its costs €20 to appeal your test as to paying the full €38 to apply again.

As a tester people would ask me does a person need a suitable qualified driver to come with them to the test centre, For the sake of the test, it doesnt mater if they do or dont. it is illegal for them not too but lets say if they dont, a tester cant stop a test because they broke the law getting to the tests centre, Thats why a tester will always bring an applicant back to the test centre when a test is curtailed, because if you got out of the car you would be facilitating some one to break the law.

Well, i stand corrected, on my wording of the above where i stated it would be an automatic grade 3, you are correct there is no space to mark in on the sheet, but it is non the less, a fail if one does not apply their seatbelt during the test as it is completely illegal, and a penalty point offense.
    As stated by WishboneAsh, it is illegal to drive a car without a current tax and insurance disc. The test would not be conducted if the car is not legally permitted to be on the road. Hence the reasoning for you signing the document at the beginning of the test saying that your car is safe to drive and has all relevant tax and insurance.
    As for your argument about how you arrive/leave the test centre, the test only starts when you are called from the waiting room, and ends when you are told your result. How you get to and from the test centre is irrelevant in the eyes of the examiner, although quite obviously, driving unaccompanied is illegal for those on Learner Permits in the relevant categories.

EDIT: Do you have any link to that district court decision regarding motor tax?

If you drive in a bus lane, brake a traffic light, speed are all penalty point offenses and are on the test, if i was to apply what you are saying to lets say bus lanes because you get points because you drive in it you get an automatic fail if you drive in it on your test doesn't make much scence now does it

The point about the seat belt, unlike a lot of a lot of driving offenses, is very black and white. Your belt is off while driving, (ie, not during a reversing manoeuvre), is illegal, and would warrant a fail by the examiner.
    However the situation you have mentioned, regarding the buslane! is quite vague, and depending on the circumstances could warrant a fail, i would presume it would be under the heading of road positioning*(See below), depending on the circumstances it could be marked grade 2 or 3.
    Just because it is not on the sheet, does not mean you cannot be failed for it, the seat belt being a prime example of this, it is not needed on the report sheet as it is illegal.

EDIT: I would also appreciate it if we kept this on thread, no need for PM's
    Also, the fault for travellng down the Bus Lane would be marked under, traffic controls -> Buslane, and it could warrant a grade 3, grade 2, or grade 1 mark.

What has road position got to do with seat belts?, i'll answer that one for you Nothing. i think your making it up now.

If you drive in a bus lane, brake a traffic light, speed are all penalty point offenses and are on the test, if i was to apply what you are saying to lets say bus lanes because you get points because you drive in it you get an automatic fail if you drive in it on your test doesn't make much scence now does it

That's your counter point to mine about the seatbelts. Which i replied to. I've edited my post to be a bit more clear.

I accept that. but my point is about seat belts is they are covered under rules and checks. and on the test sheet there is no pink for you too mark, so you cant fail on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I would also appreciate it if we kept this on thread, no need for PM's
    +1
    my point is about seat belts is they are covered under rules and checks. and on the test sheet there is no pink for you too mark, so you cant fail on it.
    Supposing a candidate doesn't apply the seat belt after the checks. Are you suggesting that you would proceed with the test anyway?

I somehow doubt that it would go ahead. If it is abandoned, presumably then it is done so because it is a legal requirement.

(And I'm referring to the 'ordinary' candidates - not those who are exempt from wearing it for medical reasons).

One of my wife's tests was abandoned because her tax disc wasn't in order and a work colleague failed her test for neglecting to reapply her belt after the reversing manoeuvre (albeit many years ago).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I recently took the test (and passed :)) in my car with after-market tinted windows. They're a reasonably light tint though. I think the best thing would be, as said, to stop by the test center and see if you can ask someone.

^Congrats on the pass :D

Looks like Im doing the test in my car. The fella I had said the tint is reasonably light and shouldnt have any trouble with the tester.
    But now Im worried because its all down to the tester. He will see a young male, driving a "boy racer" car so god knows he might just say its illegal.
    Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

you could transfer your insurance to your mothers car...

it was a few years ago , but I transfered my insurance for the day of the test and Hibernian sent out a new disk for the day without charge....

Advertisement